Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
If you trade it back to Tesla you get what they offer, what they do with the car after taking possession is their business. If you sell it privately the UPGRADE remains and you can hope to get more for your vehicle because of it. Nothing SHADY or GRIMEY about it.

Reactions: Velcade

Protect1989

Jul 14, 2020
Dallas, TX
If you trade it back to Tesla you get what they offer, what they do with the car after taking possession is their business. If you sell it privately the UPGRADE remains and you can hope to get more for your vehicle because of it. Nothing SHADY or GRIMEY about it.

this comment/thought process seems to be more prevalent on this forum than I would have thought.

I agree, after they get the car they can do whatever they want with it. That’s not what is being discussed here.

You purchased something for the vehicle FROM TESLA. So either they should factor the value of that purchase to the trade in offer OR let you keep that purchase/transfer it.

Once they own the car they can delete it if they want. However they should not exclude that value from the office just because they’re going to delete it once they own it.

Sunshine State

Automotive Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2017
Florida
I got a quote on my model Y from Tesla because I was considering moving back to a model three (That’s a story for a different thread).
I asked my sales advisor if because I purchased my acceleration boost so recently, could they transfer it to the new vehicle purchase. He checked with his management team and was advised that they will not transfer the acceleration boost. He also advised if you sell the car to Tesla they will remove the acceleration boost before reselling it.

so take note, if you get a quote from Tesla they will not include any value of the acceleration boost and it will only stick with the Vin so long as you own a vehicle. As soon as Tesla gets the vehicle they will remove the acceleration boost before listing it.
You don’t know if they are adding a value on your trade vehicle for your boost purchase. The sales advisor and local staff have zero input on the values placed from the team that values trades. They add trade value for FSD and EAP or deduct for the lack of AP so it’s very likely they are adding $ for your boost. After trading the car Tesla often adds FSD to used cars to boost the value so if they want to remove the boost they own the car so they can do what they want with it.

Protect1989

Jul 14, 2020
Dallas, TX
You don’t know if they are adding a value on your trade vehicle for your boost purchase. The sales advisor and local staff have zero input on the values placed from the team that values trades. They add trade value for FSD and EAP or deduct for the lack of AP so it’s very likely they are adding $ for your boost. After trading the car Tesla often adds FSD to used cars to boost the value so if they want to remove the boost they own the car so they can do what they want with it.

I specifically asked my advisor. He checked with whoever he needed to check with and he specifically said to me "They did not add any value to your trade in for AB".

Not that he was not sure. That they DO NOT associate any value with AB for trade in offers.

richyrich

Apr 13, 2018
Ottawa
I traded in my 2019 Model 3 with FSD. I assume they gave me value for the FSD. Otherwise they gave me pretty much 100% of the price of a new model 3.

Exactly what I did with my 3. I think views from people who have actually traded in are a lot more meaningful than the "Tesla rip you off on trade ins" comments from people who read that on a forum somewhere. :)

richyrich

Apr 13, 2018
Ottawa

Exactly, nobody knows the calculation the trade in team do, including the sales advisors - you request a number and it comes back, if necessary with conditions (like putting the original wheels on) which the advisors help communicate.

I really don't get the drama here - get a trade value for your car including whatever you've added to it software-wise. If you think it's a good deal, you're set. If you don't, go sell it privately. As to what they do with the car AFTER you trade it, who cares? Has anyone ever followed up with a gasser they've traded - if it was reasonably new/in decent condition chances are they put it on their lot for a lot more than they paid you - where's the outrage? :)

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Yup. Here's what anyone that has tried to sell a car knows:

Worst possible value <-- A dealer
More $$$ <-- Anyone else

This applies 1 second after you've paid and drive off the lot. You paid the dealer X dollars and the dealer will offer you a max of (0.75 * X) dollars when you try to turn it in right after with +0.01 miles. That's if you you're lucky and they have a new buyer lined up.

Any options you purchased? Deprecated immediately so the trade-in value is exactly $0.00.

Exactly, nobody knows the calculation the trade in team do, including the sales advisors - you request a number and it comes back, if necessary with conditions (like putting the original wheels on) which the advisors help communicate.

I really don't get the drama here - get a trade value for your car including whatever you've added to it software-wise. If you think it's a good deal, you're set. If you don't, go sell it privately. As to what they do with the car AFTER you trade it, who cares? Has anyone ever followed up with a gasser they've traded - if it was reasonably new/in decent condition chances are they put it on their lot for a lot more than they paid you - where's the outrage? :)

Protect1989

Jul 14, 2020
Dallas, TX
Any options you purchased? Deprecated immediately so the trade-in value is exactly $0.00.

Gonna disagree with this one. If you purchase a vehicle with an option, you still get back some value. For instance, if you purchased upgraded wheels for your vehicle. The dealer would see that option and it would add some additional value to the trade in offer. It might only be 25%-50% of the original purchase price of that option, but its still more than 0.

In Teslas case, they are not giving you any additional value to your trade in related to this additional option. Instead they are saying "since we will delete it once we own it, we are not going to give you any value for it now". Which is the same argument as "Once I eat this steak, it will not exist, so I will not pay for this meal". Might not be the best analogy but you get the point.

At the end of the day, Tesla can delete the software once they own the vehicle. However it should not give them the ability to remove the value in the trade in offer just because of what they plan to do.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Look... Tesla investors and fanboys would be excited and proud if Elon added $75 for pre-delivery prep, which meant a car wash and a vacuum down the street before the sales adviser tosses you the key fob.

As with virtually every decision Tesla seems to make these days -- their customer unfriendly stance is gradually eroding the goodwill and loyalty of current owners. In addition, individuals on forums and other media will continue to pick up on these grimy tactics and become embittered Super-spreaders, and rightly so.

Tesla's culture is one of hubris. It will ultimately result in an entrenchment, and major capital investment to build up the service and repair network it is seriously lacking. Someday, they might even need to spend a few dollars on those seminars Disney used to run about generating "customer delight."

Reactions: CharlieSA
Dec 7, 2019
San Diego, CA
Yup. Here's what anyone that has tried to sell a car knows:

Worst possible value <-- A dealer
More $$$ <-- Anyone else

Very true. And even the levels in between:
  • Worst possible value: Dealer trade in without a car purchase
  • Bad value: Dealer trade in with a car purchase (may not be too bad if you leverage this in final price negotiations)
  • Decent YMMV: Carvana, Carfax, Vroom, etc. have the goal of beating the franchise dealerships with buying cars, but good resell-able used cars are their bread and butter, but hard to find.
  • Good value: selling independently P2P. But the hassle of this comes down to paperwork, finances, etc. especially if there is a loan on the vehicle. This can quickly add up in time-value so thats why the above options are considered for many.
Most traditional franchise car dealers want some used car inventory. They make more money on a used car mark up than a new car. So much so, that if they dont get enough trade ins, they will go to auction to buy some used inventory, but thats not cheap. Used car inventory, before the pandemic and WFH scenarios, was at a dramatic low level. Those nice used cars, you will notice, go at the front of the lot, since that often brings in traffic.

This info can be helpful when getting quotes from dealers. They know they can turn your excellent condition Tesla around for a profit, but will low ball you so they can turn it quickly and make as much on it as possible.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
I got a quote on my model Y from Tesla because I was considering moving back to a model three (That’s a story for a different thread).
I asked my sales advisor if because I purchased my acceleration boost so recently, could they transfer it to the new vehicle purchase. He checked with his management team and was advised that they will not transfer the acceleration boost. He also advised if you sell the car to Tesla they will remove the acceleration boost before reselling it.

so take note, if you get a quote from Tesla they will not include any value of the acceleration boost and it will only stick with the Vin so long as you own a vehicle. As soon as Tesla gets the vehicle they will remove the acceleration boost before listing it.
Tesla offers you a price. You can look at other ways to sell it.
After Tesla buys it (at a market price), they are free to remove software features and resell it without those features. Also at market price.
What's the problem?

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks, / GF1
That’s good to know. Seems pretty shady. Whatever software you add to the vehicle adds absolutely no value at all to the resale value.
It does sound weird if that is the way it works. I never has Microsoft deactivate Windows when I sell my old computer. Never had Toyota remove my tires when I sold to someone else. Yes, I am just being sarcastic. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl and JayNJ

richyrich

Apr 13, 2018
Ottawa
Tesla offers you a price. You can look at other ways to sell it.
After Tesla buys it (at a market price), they are free to remove software features and resell it without those features. Also at market price.
What's the problem?

There is no problem, it's just a lame attempt at Tesla-outrage, a branch of trolling. Sometimes these type of threads morph into Electrek articles - "Tesla owners outraged at <insert today's topic>", other times they just fizzle out, like this non-issue hopefully will.

Big Dog

Mar 7, 2016
Irvine, CA
If you've sold the car to them and you get the value including AB, who cares what they do with it after? Presumably the resold car is priced without it.

Indeed. As long as OP gets a satisfactory price, why care if they downgrade the software or even the wheels after the title is transferred?

Reactions: richyrich

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
Gonna disagree with this one. If you purchase a vehicle with an option, you still get back some value. For instance, if you purchased upgraded wheels for your vehicle. The dealer would see that option and it would add some additional value to the trade in offer. It might only be 25%-50% of the original purchase price of that option, but its still more than 0.

In Teslas case, they are not giving you any additional value to your trade in related to this additional option. Instead they are saying "since we will delete it once we own it, we are not going to give you any value for it now". Which is the same argument as "Once I eat this steak, it will not exist, so I will not pay for this meal". Might not be the best analogy but you get the point.

At the end of the day, Tesla can delete the software once they own the vehicle. However it should not give them the ability to remove the value in the trade in offer just because of what they plan to do.

At the end of the day, its a free market. You have a car with certain options, and can sell it with those options .. software and hardware. What a buyer is willing to PAY is up to that buyer. In the case of Tesla, they have decided that they place no value on FSD/acceleration boost. If you don't like that policy, find another buyer. That's the free market for you. No-one is forcing you to sell the car back to Tesla.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC