Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a new thing. Dealerships and used car dealers have been known for worse. Wheel swap, stereo swaps and even the removal of spare tires where some of the biggest things done. If you trade your car into tesla, it's up to them to resell. If the car doesn't sell, they can add options to push the sale. If the car goes like hotcakes, then it's up to them to consider future sales on boost. It's a fine line and one that the company I feel is doing well with.

I got a quote on my model Y from Tesla because I was considering moving back to a model three (That’s a story for a different thread).
I asked my sales advisor if because I purchased my acceleration boost so recently, could they transfer it to the new vehicle purchase. He checked with his management team and was advised that they will not transfer the acceleration boost. He also advised if you sell the car to Tesla they will remove the acceleration boost before reselling it.

so take note, if you get a quote from Tesla they will not include any value of the acceleration boost and it will only stick with the Vin so long as you own a vehicle. As soon as Tesla gets the vehicle they will remove the acceleration boost before listing it.
That is true with all SW options but not true if you sell private party or to a dealer.

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
this comment/thought process seems to be more prevalent on this forum than I would have thought.

I agree, after they get the car they can do whatever they want with it. That’s not what is being discussed here.

You purchased something for the vehicle FROM TESLA. So either they should factor the value of that purchase to the trade in offer OR let you keep that purchase/transfer it.

Once they own the car they can delete it if they want. However they should not exclude that value from the office just because they’re going to delete it once they own it.

Think about it. The SW has no value to them. They can enable or disable it for free however they want. Why would they pay more for something that is free to them?

I think they leave some SW options enabled because they want a variety of vehicles and prices available for purchase.

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
It does sound weird if that is the way it works. I never has Microsoft deactivate Windows when I sell my old computer. Never had Toyota remove my tires when I sold to someone else. Yes, I am just being sarcastic. :D

Not valid comparisons. Did you sell your computer back to Microsoft? Tires are physical things that have value. A software license doesn't if the company has an unlimited supply of free licenses.

Does anyone have any actual evidence of FSD, EAP, AB, or any other software based upgrade being removed after a trade in?

It seems at least a few people would be curious enough to search for their car and VIN on Tesla's used marketplace after trading it in to see if features were actually removed.

As others have shown, it's very easy to find cars with FSD, EAP, AB, etc. on Tesla's secondary marketplace. And that's where I bought mine, with EAP.

It’s honestly the most grimy policy Tesla has. There should be two options

1) any software purchases stay with the VIN
2) any software purchase stays with the account.
I don't understand the logic behind these complaints.

If Tesla is buying the car back then their offer covers the the cars and all options. Once they own the car again they can dispose of it however they choose. They can use for Tesla Taxi Service, loaners, scrap it, break it down for parts, upgrade, downgrade, reuse or resell any or all of it however they believe maximizes their total return.

I got a quote on my model Y from Tesla because I was considering moving back to a model three (That’s a story for a different thread).
I asked my sales advisor if because I purchased my acceleration boost so recently, could they transfer it to the new vehicle purchase. He checked with his management team and was advised that they will not transfer the acceleration boost. He also advised if you sell the car to Tesla they will remove the acceleration boost before reselling it.

so take note, if you get a quote from Tesla they will not include any value of the acceleration boost and it will only stick with the Vin so long as you own a vehicle. As soon as Tesla gets the vehicle they will remove the acceleration boost before listing it.

Interesting. I was browsing the used Model 3 section on the Tesla website, and there's a checkbox marked 'Performance Upgrade'. The results returned include Acceleration Boost. II just did the same Search again, and found over a dozen cars with that feature. Comparing those cars to M3's without it, Tesla appears to value it at $1,000 for resale.

Once you trade it in, Tesla can do what ever they want. If you sell it privately then it should stick, just as FSD would.

Asking them to transfer it, ha ha ha, nice try. We are talking Tesla.

Keep in mind, any "SOFTWARE" option it worthless to Tesla on trade. And they can sell the software options again.

Now if it was traded or sold to a Non Tesla dealer. It could end up like free supercharging. I'm not sure what they do with FSD in this case, I think it sticks. Boost would probably fall under the same treatment.

Oh, Free Supercharging is only original owner and that I believe is called out. So even if private, that goes bye bye.

If you go to the Tesla used car pages and put in a Search criteria, you'll find that they're selling cars with FSD. If it's a Model 3, you can check the box for 'Performance Option' for non-Performance models, and you'll see Acceleration Boost in the list of features for those cars also. Tesla does not appear to be stripping trade-ins of their software options and then selling them to the used car buyers.

Interesting. I was browsing the used Model 3 section on the Tesla website, and there's a checkbox marked 'Performance Upgrade'. The results returned include Acceleration Boost. II just did the same Search again, and found over a dozen cars with that feature. Comparing those cars to M3's without it, Tesla appears to value it at $1,000 for resale.

I think the point is this .. Tesla have decided that they will not factor in AB/FSD into purchase (offer) price of a used car. What they do to the car after purchase, and how they equip/refit/sell that car, is up to them. There isnt much point in saying they "should" to X or Y, it's a free market, and you can take or leave their trade-in deal. If you don't like it, sell privately, which anyway is almost ALWAYS a better option for any car if you want to get max $$$.

Reactions: JayNJ and Jimt29
I think the point is this .. Tesla have decided that they will not factor in AB/FSD into purchase (offer) price of a used car. What they do to the car after purchase, and how they equip/refit/sell that car, is up to them. There isnt much point in saying they "should" to X or Y, it's a free market, and you can take or leave their trade-in deal. If you don't like it, sell privately, which anyway is almost ALWAYS a better option for any car if you want to get max $$$.
Tesla gives you a price for your car. We don't know what factors go into that price (age, mileage, wear and tear, features are all possible). You can take that price or sell it somewhere else.

After Tesla buys the car they can add or delete features and adjust the sales price. However, that should be of concern only to the buyer.

Reactions: Jimt29 and laservet
I think the point is this .. Tesla have decided that they will not factor in AB/FSD into purchase (offer) price of a used car. .
Sorry, but I don't think that is correct.
Tesla gave me just $500 less for my FSD model 3 than the price of of a brand new model 3 without FSD. So either the car had no depreciation in a year and 25K Kms (highly unlikely) or they did factor in FSD.
I'm pretty sure they factored in FSD.
And other than a conversation the OP had with an SA, I don't see any evidence they treat AB any differently.