Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost - M3P / LR - AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, just wanting to confirm that acceleration boost is available in Canada for the Model 3 LR AWD. From what I can see it appears it is but wanting to confirm before I place my order.

Over the past month I have been back and forth choosing between the performance and the LR models, but I really cannot see the value for me spending 10K more on the performance model. I have no intention of utilizing track mode which seems to be the biggest difference that cannot be modified after the fact. I have no problem changing rims down the road if I want and assuming I can purchase acceleration boost I think I will be happier in the long run.

Appreciate the help, if you have any other comparisons I missed let me know.

Reactions: Smytty
According to this thread it is still available.

Reactions: MrSlippery
I'm in Canada and I have it on my 2020 LR AWD... I've seen a few posts of people asking if it had disappeared or not and the answer is always: it's still available.
Brilliant thank you, my assumption based on the other posts was that it was in fact available. Wish Telsa's website would lay things out a little better to avoid confusion.

Any regrets with your purchase? I am going to place my order in a few weeks, thankfully I have plenty of time to wait.

Regrets? Yes, that it costs 2700CAD+tx... Seriously, the price is way too high. The car cost me ~70000CAD already all in, and that's with a 8000CAD tax credit that now isn't available anymore... Damn this car isn't cheap. I bought it anyway but instead of being a no brainer I had to wrestle with the idea for weeks and justify it as a gift using a bonus I received.
Regrets since I have it? Nah, I grin every time I can floor it :cool:

Reactions: HockeyRooster
Regrets? Yes, that it costs 2700CAD+tx... Seriously, the price is way too high. The car cost me ~70000CAD already all in, and that's with a 8000CAD tax credit that now isn't available anymore... Damn this car isn't cheap. I bought it anyway but instead of being a no brainer I had to wrestle with the idea for weeks and justify it as a gift using a bonus I received.
It is a little pricey but my justification in my head at least is that I am "saving" $10K not purchasing the performance model haha.

The rebate in Ontario is even worse unfortunately you are lucky in QC to get something at least.

@MrSlippery sounds like you're using "Shopping Math" :)

Haha pretty much yes! But truthfully I went into this thinking I was going to purchase the performance model and budgeted for that.

After driving both I just cannot justify the 10k added cost when I would rather buy my own rims and put winters on the stock ones then add the acceleration boost and still come out spending less.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Haha pretty much yes! But truthfully I went into this thinking I was going to purchase the performance model and budgeted for that.

After driving both I just cannot justify the 10k added cost when I would rather buy my own rims and put winters on the stock ones then add the acceleration boost and still come out spending less.

@MrSlippery makes sense to me. Even without AB, the LR is plenty quick enough for my needs.

Any regrets with your purchase? I am going to place my order in a few weeks, thankfully I have plenty of time to wait.
No regrets whatsoever. I am in the same boat as you - I couldn’t justify the extra $10k for a M3P and I just didn’t need track mode. With a LR, AB gets you almost there in terms of acceleration performance at 1/4 of the cost. I’m super happy I went for it, and could notice the difference immediately.
Go for it. You can always turn it off if you change your mind in the first 48hrs and get your money back.

While The Acceleration Boost is available now, Tesla being Tesla, there is no guarantee it will still be available when you get your car. It's highly likely, but not guaranteed. Tesla might change the motor to one that no longer supports AB, or they may increase the price, who knows. In the worst case, if it is no longer available at the time your car is delivered (likely September), you can always back out of the purchase and order a Performance for December delivery.

I went back and forth, and decided on the P. I plan on using Track Mode for Autocross, and I may take it to Calabogie Motorsport Park as well. This will be my fun car. Had I gotten the LR, I would have spent $2700 for the Accel Boost and $1600 or so on better tires. The difference buys my Track Mode and better brakes. It was worth it to me. I also keep my cars 9-10 years, so over the long run, the price difference is not that much. And I'll be honest, a part of me appreciates the exclusivity of having a P, and I think I would have regretted getting the "2nd best" Model 3, lol :).

I skipped FSD though, it does not work well enough to justify the expense. For $10k, I'd choose the P over FSD any day.

If you have no plans on using the car for autocross or track, the LR is indeed the best choice in my view. AB may not even be that useful on the street quite frankly.

I just added my boost and def grin every time I floor it

While The Acceleration Boost is available now, Tesla being Tesla, there is no guarantee it will still be available when you get your car. It's highly likely, but not guaranteed. Tesla might change the motor to one that no longer supports AB, or they may increase the price, who knows. In the worst case, if it is no longer available at the time your car is delivered (likely September), you can always back out of the purchase and order a Performance for December delivery.

I went back and forth, and decided on the P. I plan on using Track Mode for Autocross, and I may take it to Calabogie Motorsport Park as well. This will be my fun car. Had I gotten the LR, I would have spent $2700 for the Accel Boost and $1600 or so on better tires. The difference buys my Track Mode and better brakes. It was worth it to me. I also keep my cars 9-10 years, so over the long run, the price difference is not that much. And I'll be honest, a part of me appreciates the exclusivity of having a P, and I think I would have regretted getting the "2nd best" Model 3, lol :).

I skipped FSD though, it does not work well enough to justify the expense. For $10k, I'd choose the P over FSD any day.

If you have no plans on using the car for autocross or track, the LR is indeed the best choice in my view. AB may not even be that useful on the street quite frankly.
That is true, I can appreciate that line of thinking as well. There is certainly a pull to get the P also from an exclusivity perspective, which may seem silly but is true.
My one negative I could see with the LR+boost is that unlike an ICE which I have owned a WRX the past 15+ years of various model years. I purchased a Cobb Access Port years ago as an example and was able to bring it from car to car, or sell the old version. The acceleration boost is a one time thing I assume and if you sell the car its gone.

Last edited:
...it's gone with the car, like a speed part you would have bolted on your WRX :) Your access port would have been movable but you would have needed a tune for your specific car model anyway right? See this as a tune specific to that car instance...

Sort of yes, the Access Port in the Subaru world is moveable to most any Subaru, my current one I have used on my past 3 cars. The performance maps are available for most standard specifications and most basic aftermarket mods. Its actually an amazing set up, lets say I get a new exhaust for they have maps for that, as an example it may be called Stage 1 + exhaust + 93 octane and so on. You can absolutely still get those maps fine tuned by a qualified tuner but out of the box there are loads of options.

Follow up question, so the acceleration boost I buy with my Tesla account (assuming here), if I were to sell the car in 4 years does that acceleration boost transfer to the new owner? If yes, that is great. Not a deal breaker in anyway just thought of it.

My understanding is that it's "in" the car, so yes it would transfer. I think it's the same thing with autopilot/noa. There have been stories of people selling the car back to Tesla and Tesla removing the options. I guess they can do that if they want. But selling to someone else, I believe all the options should stay as part of the car.

Reactions: MrSlippery
Anyone running Ingenext Boost 50? Why are people choosing Tesla's AB over Ingenext? Firmware compatibility, warranty concerns, other reasons? I'm interested in the Ingenext option for some of the other features and it's half price compared to Tesla.