Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you figure, since with what we know right now, it's still perhaps a half second slower than a P3D-?
None of us know.... It's all speculation (granted including me), but it makes sense that if the P3D- was $2k more than the LR AWD, that they would offer the same software increase at $2k to bring the LR AWD up to the P3D-. Otherwise there would be very few takers.

Let's not forget Tesla offered FSD for $2,000 as an upgrade at one point. A full power upgrade should be $2K today with all the reductions. Give it time they will milk it and offer many things at discounts and offering a discount a couple years later is really two years you did mot use it.

If this is the case, 3.9 sec is still not as good as the Performance number and might not anger the Performance owners.

Uh, don't speak for me. As a P3D+ owner, I would definitely want to spend MORE money to go even FASTER, and it may anger me to not have that as an option. :D

I do think they should hold back on track mode though. Not sure why I feel this way, but I do... :p

I have a 2018 P3- and my wife has a 2019 P3+. I welcome Tesla opening up dual motor to full P3- for $2k! It would be freakin awesome. If you are looking for a used performance then ANY dual motor could be. Tesla is not losing anything at this point (the price from Stealth to P3+ is only $3k, the upgraded parts are worth that) and they could gain a ton in $$ software unlock and value for all dual motor owners.

Reactions: M109Rider
Are we sure that the upgrade is going to improve the 0-60 mph acceleration down to 3.9 sec? is this a verified number?

It's in the source code on the tesla.com website.

if it's correct or not nobody knows.

A
Isn't the performance 0-60 mph acceleration rated at 3.5 sec? or is it 3.2 sec now?

Depends which lie you're interested in.

Tesla originally listed AWD at 4.5 and P at 3.5.

This was roughly true- and the only time in its history Tesla was honest about the performance of P models compared to non-P.

It didn't last long.

Soon after they switched the P to the same dishonest 2-different-measurements system they've used on the S and X P models... they include rollout for the P, but not any other trim of the car.... and magically the P dropped to 3.3 without any actual change while the AWD stayed at 4.5.

After the first 5% bump they dropped the P to 3.2, and the AWD to 4.4.

But apples to apples, using rollout, the AWD was 4.0 at that time.

Since the second 5% bump owner testing with calibrated measurements show the P can now hit ~3.0 pretty reliably... and the AWD can hit 3.9 pretty reliably.

But Tesla still lists 4.4 for the AWD.

So the question is- will this 2k upgrade drop the 0-60 by 0.5 regardless? In which case it'd be ~3.4 with rollout... or very near what the P originally could do.

Or are they just gonna say "Hey, you can hit 3.9 without rollout now! thanks for 2k!"

Or something in between those?

• Informative
Reactions: omkar
Need another option of
Maybe: waiting to see the actual option and results of people testing the accel first.

If it were the full upgrade to P3D- for $2K I would be YES - immediately.

This is what I was waiting for but is only half of what I was waiting for, plus likely no track mode so for $2K not sure yet.

Reactions: mybeans
I guess that makes me stupid according to you all and even stupider for having paid $15,000 more than everyone else.

No, it makes you bad at math because you didn't pay 15k more than everyone else.

In 2018 it was $64,000 for a P3D- or $69,000 for a P3D+

And you were entitled to a $5000 refund from Tesla and a $7500 federal tax rebate.

Leaving net prices of... $51,500 for a P3D- and $56,500 for a P3D+

If you order today a P3D+ costs...$56,990.

And is missing about $500 in hardware your car came with.

In other words it's the same damn price as 2018

I know math isn't your thing, but $0 is less than $15,000.

For the P3D- assuming you can find one to take delivery of before Dec 31, that would be $50,990 minus an $1875 tax credit, so $49,115... or about $2000 less than 2018 including the HW differences.

Again, $2000 is less than $15000. A lot less.

And if you can't take delivery in the next 13 days the price goes up $1875 to, once again, be virtually identical with 2018.

None of us know.... It's all speculation (granted including me), but it makes sense that if the P3D- was $2k more than the LR AWD, that they would offer the same software increase at $2k to bring the LR AWD up to the P3D-. Otherwise there would be very few takers.

Perhaps they are offering this Acceleration Boost option because they can't fully uncork all Dual Motors to Stealth Performance. And this allows them to offer something to all Dual Motor owners. It also shouldn't perturb Performance owners too much because 0-60 still isn't as quick as Performance, no change to Top Speed, and no Track mode.

IMO, those who are able to buy Stealth Performance for $2k over Dual Motor are getting an amazing deal.

From the poll, it does seem that there is plenty of interest in the $2k Acceleration Boost option.

Perhaps they are offering this Acceleration Boost option because they can't fully uncork all Dual Motors to Stealth Performance..

Here's a fun idea.

The code everyone is freaking out about turns out to only be for NEW LR AWD cars and those built after the rear DU switched to 990.

The "full P unlock" for $3500 for 980 rear DU AWD cars just hasn't been added to the web code yet.

• Love
Reactions: boriszima
Here's a fun idea.

The code everyone is freaking out about turns out to only be for NEW LR AWD cars and those built after the rear DU switched to 990.

The "full P unlock" for $3500 for 980 rear DU AWD cars just hasn't been added to the web code yet.

Or there is a 65000 option to trade your car in for a P100DL. Man, those slick Tesla people. Always trying to get us with DLC.

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr
"Improve your 0-100 km/h acceleration from 4.6 seconds to 4.1 seconds with an over-the-air update."
and
"Improve your 0-60 mph acceleration from 4.4 seconds to 3.9 seconds with an over-the-air update."

As others have posted, these are the lines in the javascript source code. In the Q3 earnings call when Elon said, "I forgot to mention, we’re also expecting there’s going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That’s, by the way, coming in a few weeks. It should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware." I don't think anyone thought this was going to be a paid feature firmware update.

LR-AWD aren't going to turn into P3D-

"Improve your 0-100 km/h acceleration from 4.6 seconds to 4.1 seconds with an over-the-air update."
and
"Improve your 0-60 mph acceleration from 4.4 seconds to 3.9 seconds with an over-the-air update."

As others have posted, these are the lines in the javascript source code. In the Q3 earnings call when Elon said, "I forgot to mention, we’re also expecting there’s going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That’s, by the way, coming in a few weeks. It should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware." I don't think anyone thought this was going to be a paid feature firmware update.

LR-AWD aren't going to turn into P3D-

It wasn’t a paid upgrade. That 5% already happened (twice in fact).

This new update looks to be solely for the LR AWD to make it noticeably faster than it is, but not as fast as the 3P. For $2k. That’s a fair price.