Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it lowers the value of our cars and increases our debt?
Simply owning your car lowers it's value, that's how cars work they're depreciating assets. Tech which is part of this Venn Diagram is similarly priced higher for earlier adopters and becomes less expensive and more feature rich as time goes on. This said as many people have pointed out at best this will bring a LR AWD -> a P3D stealth which HAS been selling for about $2K less than a P3D stealth recently so I fail to see how the math on That depreciates say a P3D

x = cost of a P3D
y = cost of a LR AWD

$2k = x-y
y+$2k = x

x has not changed
devaluation would require x to change

Reactions: Sherlo
Of course you had the chance for $12,500 in refunds and tax credits someone ordering a P today won't get. And at least $500 in additional HW new cars don't get.

And an entire year of not having to buy gas too- which is at least a 1500-2000 dollar savings for most americans.

So again your math is laughably wrong. And this isn't the first, or tenth, time someone has had to correct you on it.

Can you two take it somewhere else so we can get this thread back on topic.

Sure it does, devaluing your property increases your debt. If you buy a house for 500k, then the same company decides a year later to just make the price 250k. The new value of your home is 250k you no have significantly more debt because you have devalued your assets. Your now underwater.
Only if you're living on credit. Which is not a good idea on depreciating assets like a car

Reactions: VQTRVA
This comparison is a bit silly. Real estate is (long term) usually an appreciating asset. Cars are the opposite. If you take on debt to buy a car, you're "underwater" the moment you drive off with it (where it instantly loses somewhere between 10 and 20% of its value).

It also appears he seems to be also confusing the terms debt with net worth.

The sum of all of the money you owe is your liabilities (debt). Debt or liabilities are not increasing without a new loan obligation.

The difference between your assets (value of car in their discussion) and your liabilities is your net worth.

Agree, let's get back on topic

I hope this includes LR RWD. I have FSD so I can’t see the upgrade page; is anyone with an LR RWD and EAP seeing this in the upgrade page? Furthermore does the source code specify the improvement added (4.9 to 4.5 seconds) like the LR AWD does?

The source code on my account (LR RWD) looks the same as what everyone is reporting. Only mentions improvement from 4.4 to 3.9, so unfortunately it does not look like the RWD is getting anything. Lots of reports that the code is changing all the time, so we'll see, but not too promising at this point.

$FM3U:{name:"Acceleration Boost",extra_copy:[],extra_copy_web:[{type:"subtitle",content:"Improve your 0-60 mph acceleration from 4.4 seconds to 3.9 seconds with an over-the-air update."}

Neither of those statements are true.

If you owe 300k on your house, but it's worth 300k then you owe 300k but as far as getting a loan in the future you have a 300k asset to sell so you can get a new mortgage.

If you owe 500k on a home worth 250k, things will not go well for you when trying to get your next loan. It essentially adds 250k to the cost of your next home. This is what you call more debt. Same for your car, while it's typically to go underwater for a short time on a new car purchase, esp with little money down, devaluing your car artificially puts you underwater.

My car was 75k before tax, same car is now 60k (if you get a Performance model upgrade for 2k.
thats about 4-5k difference total MSRP after tax credit plus an additional ~6000k less in taxes.

The wild card here is also that Tesla doesn't technically do model years which confuses this all slightly

so you have to look at this from this perspective

- Traditionally if you buy a "New" car off a lot you can usually reliably get the current or next model year and the previous model year you'll notice that even if no significant changes were made to the car the new inventory previous model year cars are all now discounted. So straight off the bat you should understand that vehicles devalue with time period. ( There are exceptions, classic cars, customs, antiques, special editions etc)

- Someone buying a lower model and then being able to purchase upgrades does not devalue your higher model. Plenty of cars throughout history can be purchased then upgraded with bolt ons ( often purchased from the automaker directly) to bring them inline with the top performing models. This almost never devalues the top models as there's still value in owning a "factory" GT500 eg. As opposed to a lower trim that's been upgraded. Sometimes it's much cheaper to attain the top models this way. This is not unprecedented and I would say should be expected.

Can you two take it somewhere else so we can get this thread back on topic.
No, and this discussion is on topic.

Uh "changing the value of something I might back an imaginary future loan with" is not an increase to your debt.

You seem really unclear on what the word debt means.

That depends entirely on a bunch of other factors.

if you have a 5 million a year income it'd be an irrelevant footnote.

What your homes value going down absolutely does not do though is increase the actual debt you owe on the house

Your mortgage amount doesn't change as the homes value changes.

Of course you had the chance for $12,500 in refunds and tax credits someone ordering a P today won't get. And at least $500 in additional HW new cars don't get.

And an entire year of not having to buy gas too- which is at least a 1500-2000 dollar savings for most americans.

So again your math is laughably wrong. And this isn't the first, or tenth, time someone has had to correct you on it.
$12,500 in tax credits? Where does this number come from? I never received 12,500 in tax credits.
Debt, negative equity, whatever they are one in the same in the end. It impacts people in a negative way directly related to their finances.

Simply owning your car lowers it's value, that's how cars work they're depreciating assets. Tech which is part of this Venn Diagram is similarly priced higher for earlier adopters and becomes less expensive and more feature rich as time goes on. This said as many people have pointed out at best this will bring a LR AWD -> a P3D stealth which HAS been selling for about $2K less than a P3D stealth recently so I fail to see how the math on That depreciates say a P3D

x = cost of a P3D
y = cost of a LR AWD

$2k = x-y
y+$2k = x

x has not changed
devaluation would require x to change
Yes, but this goes above and beyond regular depreciation, not getting a sale price over msrp etc. Which is why I say artificial depreciation will impact my next car purchase when determining what to buy. No one wants to wait longer and pay more than everyone else. I'd be perfectly ok if they revised components on the 3 (they already do), or make a new model with more range / faster performance, that is inevitable. It's how Tesla decides to give different groups of people who purchase at the same time, different prices. I'm happy for everyone who gets in on deals, just not happy about how it affects me.

Yes we paid more than what they have been selling for recently, about 10k difference in only a year.

Only if you're living on credit. Which is not a good idea on depreciating assets like a car
I'm living on credit, I have a mortgage and a car payment. Almost everyone I know buying $50,000 cars are not buying them cash in hand.

math:
I pay 75k for a car. Car now costs 60k everywhere. That's a 15k depreciation in one year in addition to regular depreciation.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ZappCatt
I hate to interrupt the debt conversation with trivial stuff but I dug this up in the source code on my upgrades page. I have a LR RWD. There are different versions of this statement. Will follow up with more in a moment.

0UHESIh.png

$12,500 in tax credits? Where does this number come from?

It comes from your continued inability to read what was actually written.

Because what I actually said was $12,500 in "refunds and tax credits"

$7500 federal tax credit for 2018 EV purchase.
$5000 refund offered to all the early P buyers in 2018 from when the P3D- was on menu.

Which adds up to $12,500.

Debt, negative equity, whatever they are one in the same in the end.

They really, really, aren't.

The amount you owe to the bank on your car is totally unaffected by how much someone will pay for your used car.

The bank knows you owe them X. They're not going to change what X is based on what deals someone else is getting later.

And as noted, what you paid, minus the tax credits and refunds and HW changes, is almost identical to what a new one costs today

Reactions: ZappCatt and VQTRVA
Untrue: Burning Money: Vehicles That Depreciate The Fastest, and Those That Hold Onto Their Values Best

Lowest depreciation there is 30% which is 6% a year which on $75,000 is $4500 LOWEST!!!

Can we stop this part of the discussion now
This is my point. When the same model car costs 15k less a year later. That directly impacts it's resale value for people who paid 15k more.

Which is why it would be wise for people losing out to consider buying other brands for their next purchase.

- Someone buying a lower model and then being able to purchase upgrades does not devalue your higher model. Plenty of cars throughout history can be purchased then upgraded with bolt ons ( often purchased from the automaker directly) to bring them inline with the top performing models. This almost never devalues the top models as there's still value in owning a "factory" GT500 eg. As opposed to a lower trim that's been upgraded. Sometimes it's much cheaper to attain the top models this way. This is not unprecedented and I would say should be expected.

With the potential power boost, we might need to come up with another acronym (P3D-, P3D+, AWD,...) :D

Additional info... There's versions of this in various different languages and different units of speed measurement. Interesting enough, there's only the one english version and that cites the change from 4.4 to 3.9 seconds.

Sounds like this is a modest improvement for the LR AWD cars but appears to stop significantly short of a full upgrade to the performance spec car.

0UHESIh.png

• Helpful
Reactions: omkar and Sherlo