Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it lowers the value of our cars and increases our debt?
Or maybe you don't buy a car thinking it will increase in value as has been understood for 1/2 a century now.
Early adopting always has a price - it's the EA tax.

Sure it does, devaluing your property increases your debt. If you buy a house for 500k, then the same company decides a year later to just make the price 250k. The new value of your home is 250k you no have significantly more debt because you have devalued your assets. Your now underwater.

Or maybe you over extended in the first place in thinking this is some appreciating asset - which it never has been.
Knightshade kinda hinted below that you shouldn't be counting on resale as part of your financing strategy on a depreciating asset.

Uh "changing the value of something I might back an imaginary future loan with" is not an increase to your debt.

You seem really unclear on what the word debt means.

That depends entirely on a bunch of other factors.
What your homes value going down absolutely does not do though is increase the actual debt you owe on the house

Your mortgage amount doesn't change as the homes value changes.

Last edited:
Additional info... There's versions of this in various different languages and different units of speed measurement. Interesting enough, there's only the one english version and that cites the change from 4.4 to 3.9 seconds.

Sounds like this is a modest improvement for the LR AWD cars but appears to stop significantly short of a full upgrade to the performance spec car.
Yeah, that seems somewhat underwhelming for $2k. However, let's not forget that Tesla traditionally inflates the performance of the P vehicles by subtracting rollout from the 0-60 times (while not doing that on the non-P vehicles), so in reality the difference would probably be around 0.4s. The price is low enough to consider it, but I'd wait for some real-world results first.

Or maybe you don't buy a car thinking it will increase in value as has been understood for 1/2 a century now.
Early adopting always has a price - it's the EA tax.

Or maybe you over extended in the first place in thinking this is some appreciating asset - which it never has been.
It's different when it depreciates because the manufacturer decides to lower it's value vs regular depreciation. But apparently you all make enough where a 15k price difference is just a drop in the bucket. Like I said I financed mine, I didn't buy it wish cash in hand. I guess that makes me stupid according to you all and even stupider for having paid $15,000 more than everyone else.

What about the reverse, it cannot always benefits you.

If Tesla decides to sell the Model 3 for $150k now, and all of a sudden it actually "increase" your resale value, you can sell your used P3D on craigslist for $120k, would you voice your concern? You'll probably giggle yourself to the bank.

Same with your underwater house comparison. If you buy your house for $500k and have a $300k loan, and your house appreciates to $1M, would you voice your concern?

Your debt never changes, your equity did.

Just enjoy your car and your house. Happy Wednesday!

What about the reverse, it cannot always benefits you.

If Tesla decides to sell the Model 3 for $150k now, and all of a sudden it actually "increase" your resale value, you can sell your used P3D on craigslist for $120k, would you voice your concern? You'll probably giggle yourself to the bank.

Same with your underwater house comparison. If you buy your house for $500k and have a $300k loan, and your house appreciates to $1M, would you voice your concern?

Your debt never changes, your equity did.

Just enjoy your car and your house. Happy Wednesday!

That's what makes Teslas hard to insure. You can't insure equity. Teslas are more valuable than the insurance you can get for them.

My car has $10k worth of upgrades like Free Unlimited Supercharging that can't be insured in-case its totaled.

Yeah, that seems somewhat underwhelming for $2k. However, let's not forget that Tesla traditionally inflates the performance of the P vehicles by subtracting rollout from the 0-60 times (while not doing that on the non-P vehicles), so in reality the difference would probably be around 0.4s. The price is low enough to consider it, but I'd wait for some real-world results first.
Agreed about it being underwhelming. Also agreed on Tesla usually being conservative about the numbers. However, my June 2019 LR Dual Motor AWD Model 3 currently consistently does 0-60 in exactly 4.4 seconds (measured unscientifically, using a manual stopwatch). My car is also up-to-date on software. So maybe they don't always post conservative numbers.

Either way, I doubt I'll pay $2k for that. But if this is all true then I'll be really curious to hear real-world numbers after it comes out form people who did buy it.

These aren't upgrades...these are version distinction changes. An upgrade is a steering wheel cover.

a Mustang is not a Mustang GT. <------- indeed ICE cars change

a Tesla P3D isn't a Tesla 3D.

Incorrect

I buy a base mustang. Then Swap out the Transmission and engine to the GT Trans and Engine, etc. I can't sell that as a GT but by your logic it is a GT.

Some cars it's even less between trim levels. But the VIN denoted trim is what matters. Everything past that is upgrades

Reactions: VQTRVA
Good god you two, please take it to private messaging. This is completely diluting the value of this thread and is better debated elsewhere

It is ok, at this point no one knows what will come with the acceleration boost option. Maybe we'll all get a Tesla branded air freshener that gives us 10 hp.

But the debt/equity discussion sure makes my Wednesday morning more alive. :)

Here is what it looks like on the upgrade page.. I don't know what the actual price will be (I inserted $2,000 because I heard rumor that was the price).

Attachments

• SS.PNG
    SS.PNG
    140.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1 and VQTRVA