Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As 2018 P3D owner, this also shows up in my upgrades section. I don't have FSD (have EAP) and have a card tied to my account.

People have a funny way of looking at this. I've owned plenty of performance vehicles over the years and a number of times they have gotten some sort of an upgrade the following year or two after I purchased. Sometimes it has been more power, new engine, etc. There is no other manufacturer that would upgrade your car for free as often as Tesla does. The two 5% increases are pretty much unheard of. I can remember some recalls on 99 Mustang Cobras and early NB Miatas because they didn't make their rated power and people freaked out, but beyond instances like that, what you buy is what you get. Here it seems Tesla has found a way to pull even more power or implement some sort of launch control (or both)... and instead of just making it an option for the 2020+ cars or including it with the 2020+ cars, they are giving 2018 and 2019 owners the chance to upgrade. They could just as easily just leave us early owners in the dust and make our cars less desirable than 2020 models by being slower. Instead they are offering them to have the same upgrade. So it may cost 2000... so be it. I may or may not upgrade, it really depends on how much it improves. A couple tenths, probably not... 4-5 tenths I certainly will.

As 2018 P3D owner, this also shows up in my upgrades section. I don't have FSD (have EAP) and have a card tied to my account.

People have a funny way of looking at this. I've owned plenty of performance vehicles over the years and a number of times they have gotten some sort of an upgrade the following year or two after I purchased. Sometimes it has been more power, new engine, etc. There is no other manufacturer that would upgrade your car for free as often as Tesla does. The two 5% increases are pretty much unheard of. I can remember some recalls on 99 Mustang Cobras and early NB Miatas because they didn't make their rated power and people freaked out, but beyond instances like that, what you buy is what you get. Here it seems Tesla has found a way to pull even more power or implement some sort of launch control (or both)... and instead of just making it an option for the 2020+ cars or including it with the 2020+ cars, they are giving 2018 and 2019 owners the chance to upgrade. They could just as easily just leave us early owners in the dust and make our cars less desirable than 2020 models by being slower. Instead they are offering them to have the same upgrade. So it may cost 2000... so be it. I may or may not upgrade, it really depends on how much it improves. A couple tenths, probably not... 4-5 tenths I certainly will.
If your referring to me, I don't disagree with what your saying at all. However if Tesla just dropped the price of the P3D+ to the cost of an AWD, that's another matter.

• Love
Reactions: is95aus
Keep in mind they are only promising 3.9 seconds (That is way different than the M3P getting < 3.0)

Yes it is a difference of 3.9 (including rollout) -3.1(no rollout) -0.3 (rollout) = 0.5 seconds (approximately).

Might be a little less since AWD were at 4.0 (no rollout time) before and might go to 3.5 (no rollout time) now. All depends on the rounding errors, but that is ballpark.

Last edited:
Reactions: VQTRVA
I still can't understand people who think Tesla will model their cars to equal Performance.

They will completely undercut the Performance segment AND piss off all the customers that actually paid for Performance.

IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
The current price delta for a stealth P and an optioned AWD is about $2 or 3k last I checked. Also, this won't be as fast as a P or have track mode or the brakes.

The text shows up for me, a P3D- owner, and it’s unclear whether it was supposed to be hidden for people with my trim or whether it is an option everyone can buy. Especially if it’s $2k, which is exactly the premium over the LR AWD to get a stealth...

View attachment 489612

it shows as a tag line in my account also but IMO its only for the LR AWD as a half way between the 2 levels of cars

If your referring to me, I don't disagree with what your saying at all. However if Tesla just dropped the price of the P3D+ to the cost of an AWD, that's another matter.

I read though this thread and just seen the idea of it all through it. It wasn't directed at you specifically, more on the idea that early buyers are getting screwed. Early buyers aren't getting screwed, they are getting a chance to upgrade their cars to current spec which no other automaker does.

Even if they dropped the price, changes happen over years. As an example... I bought a 2011 GT500 new, and in 2013 Ford released a bored and stroked version of the same car with 112 more horsepower, dual plate clutch, bigger intercooler and supercharger, better transmission, refined suspension,etc for the same price as I bought by 2011 for.

The current price delta for a stealth P and an optioned AWD is about $2 or 3k last I checked. Also, this won't be as fast as a P or have track mode or the brakes.

A P3D- is 2k more than LR AWD right now.

So offering a LR AWD unlock to P3D- wouldn't undercut anything- it'd literally be the same price.

That said- if the hidden web code is accurate this upgrade is more like "Pay the full upgrade price, get about 1/3rd of the upgrade" (you get half the acceleration increase, but no track mode or top speed boost)

I'm pretty on the fence about it... 95% of my driving is highway- where the AWD is already about as quick as a P is anyway- so it'd be pretty rare I ever got any substantive benefit from this particular unlock.

If they were gonna offer a "partial" upgrade at all I think Tesla would've been better off (revenue wise for Tesla anyway) offering a 2-tier upgrade-

$1500 for this 0.5 second bump, call that car an AWD+

$2000 more to turn an AWD+ into a full unlock P3D-.

Or if you buy both at same time it's $3000.

Are we sure that the upgrade is going to improve the 0-60 mph acceleration down to 3.9 sec? is this a verified number?

Isn't the performance 0-60 mph acceleration rated at 3.5 sec? or is it 3.2 sec now?

If this is the case, 3.9 sec is still not as good as the Performance number and might not anger the Performance owners.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s zero chance that this upgrade is going to turn LR AWD into a 3P- . Tesla is never going to cannibalize its P-line of cars this way.

And before anyone says anything, this isn’t the same as paying $2k extra at the time of purchasing the car to get a 3P-

Like they didn't already make the P3D- and Yes, it's totally the same as selling the P3D- for $2k above the price of a LR AWD.