Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are far too many assumption. First we have the 990 vs 980 discussion. Second, that’s not how upgrades work (if you buy a computer with a proprietary component already included vs buying the part later it’s always cheaper to buy it at the time of purchase as “bundled.”)

This $2k actually aligns well with my thought process some time ago when the “uncork” discussion was in full swing. I would not be surprised if all LR AWD motors are NOT capable of becoming 3P motors, but they are all capable of being at least somewhat faster. This speed increase may actually be the limit of where the lowest common denominator sits. You can imagine how pissed off owners would be if some of them could upgrade to full 3P but others couldn’t due to motor revision.

not correct

"First we have the 990 vs 980 discussion is as much speculation as anything". There's been no concrete answer to if there is any actual difference there aside from a few badly designed tests people have done. So to base anything on that is shaky at best

"Second, that’s not how upgrades work" ya it pretty much is

"if you buy a computer with a proprietary component already included vs buying the part later it’s always cheaper to buy it at the time of purchase as “bundled." This is the most idiotic statement I've ever heard. I've worked in software and IT for almost 20 years. And the exact opposite of this reason is why people have been building their own computers for most of that time, in fact about 6 years ago that was a very popular thing for smaller Tech startups to do to save money at the beginning

and your last paragraph there completely ignores what I was responding to.

Namely "I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s zero chance that this upgrade is going to turn LR AWD into a 3P-" the chance is clearly no 0 I would say at this point with what we know it's 50/50

But more importantly " Tesla is never going to cannibalize its P-line of cars this way." because as I explained there's little to no chance of cannibalization there, especially if what you're NOW asserting ends up being true (namely that it won't be a full 3P- upgrade) how would that cannibalize anything? if you spend the extra $2k at purchase instead of later you get a faster car, seems like a worthwhile value proposition to me.

And I still disagree on the capabilities of the motors 990 v 980 nobody has proven anything with that at this point. And it's just as likely that both are fully capable of the same performance as not

So what specifically was the before and after purchase pricing for FDS in April?
This has changed many times, but when I bought my car in Oct 2018, the price for EAP was $5k at purchase or $6k after purchase and FSD was $3k at purchase or $4k after. I declined both and figured if I ever wanted to add them I could do so for $10k instead of the $8k I would have paid at the time I bought the car. The after-purchase price has gone up and down, but now, just over a year later, I have the option to buy AP for $3k and FSD for $7k, so it is right where I was told it would be at the time of purchase.

Reactions: Glamisduner
FSD isn't/wasn't $1000 more if added later. The price went up $1000 if bought initially or added later.
FSD went down in cost post purchase. For EAP purchasers, Tesla said buy it now for 3k with purchase or 5k later, then sold it for 2k later. Others got The FSD for even less. For some it was only 5k for FSD if they didn't get buy the car with it. Others who purchased EAP were able to upgrade to FSD for 2k more 7k-total , vs others who bought EAP then bought FSD an additional 5k ($10k total). So FSD has been sold for between 5k and 10k at various times.

The people who got kinda screwed are the ones that purchased it with the car for 8k total with the car, only to have it be reduced to 5k and 7k later post purchase. The 7k version that comes with the car now is slightly different since tesla increased the cost of the car by 2k at one point although over all the car is still way cheaper now. Also back then you did not get autopilot with the car unless you bought EAP.

I think they should allow full uncorking of the AWD, but at what price? Not sure it should be 2k. Probably closer to 5k.

Last edited:
The other possibility here is that this is actually going to be an option on each model and the 3P will get an upgrade to something faster as well as the SR+/- etc

Hope so too for the 3P. However, for me it really depends how they get the improved 0-60. If it’s by bumping up power broadly across 0-100 or so, as in the latest power increases, I‘d definitely be in for that. If they just increase torque in the 0-50 kind of range I‘m not sure I‘d pay for that. IMO they should just increase the power for P series with no increase in price lol ...but seriously when you buy the P it should be the fastest in the series and not need additional upgrades.

FSD went down in cost post purchase. For EAP purchasers, Tesla said buy it now for 3k with purchase or 5k later, then sold it for 2k later. Others got The FSD for even less. For some it was only 5k for FSD if they didn't get buy the car with it. Others who purchased EAP were able to upgrade to FSD for 2k more 7k-total , vs others who bought EAP then bought FSD an additional 5k ($10k total). So FSD has been sold for between 5k and 10k at various times.

The people who got kinda screwed are the ones that purchased it with the car for 8k total with the car, only to have it be reduced to 5k and 7k later post purchase. The 7k version that comes with the car now is slightly different since tesla increased the cost of the car by 2k at one point although over all the car is still way cheaper now. Also back then you did not get autopilot with the car unless you bought EAP.

I think they should allow full uncorking of the AWD, but at what price? Not sure it should be 2k. Probably closer to 5k.

Right, the question is not about all that history, the $1000 question is recent and specific.

all this pointless speculation and arguing over said speculation - reminds me of the hundreds (thousands?) of comments and counter comments with hurt feelings everywhere about how the Model 3 was guaranteed to have a HUD because there wasn't a display behind the steering wheel. We all know how THAT turned out.
On this one I'll just wait to see what they actually release. Its bound to make someone, somewhere unhappy regardless.
Should be a good show, I'll get some popcorn . . . .

not correct

"First we have the 990 vs 980 discussion is as much speculation as anything". There's been no concrete answer to if there is any actual difference there aside from a few badly designed tests people have done. So to base anything on that is shaky at best

"Second, that’s not how upgrades work" ya it pretty much is

"if you buy a computer with a proprietary component already included vs buying the part later it’s always cheaper to buy it at the time of purchase as “bundled." This is the most idiotic statement I've ever heard. I've worked in software and IT for almost 20 years. And the exact opposite of this reason is why people have been building their own computers for most of that time, in fact about 6 years ago that was a very popular thing for smaller Tech startups to do to save money at the beginning

and your last paragraph there completely ignores what I was responding to.

Namely "I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s zero chance that this upgrade is going to turn LR AWD into a 3P-" the chance is clearly no 0 I would say at this point with what we know it's 50/50

But more importantly " Tesla is never going to cannibalize its P-line of cars this way." because as I explained there's little to no chance of cannibalization there, especially if what you're NOW asserting ends up being true (namely that it won't be a full 3P- upgrade) how would that cannibalize anything? if you spend the extra $2k at purchase instead of later you get a faster car, seems like a worthwhile value proposition to me.

And I still disagree on the capabilities of the motors 990 v 980 nobody has proven anything with that at this point. And it's just as likely that both are fully capable of the same performance as not

Go buy an Apple computer. See how much it costs to buy those upgrades after the fact versus buying them at the time of computer purchase. That’s the point I’m making.

Second, yes, nobody knows the part differences between the 980 and 990. But you can bet they’re different for a reason.

Lastly, Tesla is trying to make money. Selling the update to 3P is not happening for $2k.

all this pointless speculation and arguing over said speculation - reminds me of the hundreds (thousands?) of comments and counter comments with hurt feelings everywhere about how the Model 3 was guaranteed to have a HUD because there wasn't a display behind the steering wheel. We all know how THAT turned out.
On this one I'll just wait to see what they actually release. Its bound to make someone, somewhere unhappy regardless.
Should be a good show, I'll get some popcorn . . . .

I'm just gonna go ahead and be unhappy now, today........why put off 'till tomorrow what you can.......

Yeah, it's weird how they always have a few straggler P3D- cars that people like myself have gotten to buy. I thought it was a one time thing towards the end of Q3 2019. But they seem to be available sporadically. Some weird forecasting error? 'whoops, we built too many with the better motor and people don't want to pay extra for wheels/brakes.'