Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with what others have said. This is a money grab plain and simple. Maybe other future updates will be purchased now rather than free. Elon likes to tout that the car will appreciate in value through over the air updates, but it seems kind of silly to say it appreciates in value if you have to pay for those updates.
With that said I hope this generates tons of cash since I’m a stockholder

It’s off the table for me since I’m leasing.

We'll probably get one or two more 5% power increases over the next few years and I'd rather that increase be on top of the boosted 0-60 times. In other words if I buy this today, this time next year it most likely will be even faster 0-60. For me the early results are showing 3.4-3.7, 0-60 which is amazing. How many people can say they drive a 3 second 0-60 car?

We'll probably get one or two more 5% power increases over the next few years and I'd rather that increase be on top of the boosted 0-60 times. In other words if I buy this today, this time next year it most likely will be even faster 0-60. For me the early results are showing 3.4-3.7, 0-60 which is amazing. How many people can say they drive a 3 second 0-60 car?

Is that with roll-out? What were your times before the update?

Saw this while updating the software on the car....

Doesn’t seem too worth it if it’s really 3.9 for $2,000.

Attachments

• A31E318C-8910-4861-93B3-684DBA9405AC.png
    A31E318C-8910-4861-93B3-684DBA9405AC.png
    147 KB · Views: 99
There's some dumb false equivalences thrown around in the community.

"Because there's a 3P Stealth out there, it's not worth 2K to upgrade the AWD."

Ok? Makes sense? (No it doesn't unless you an idiot)

So what's an AWD owner to do?

Leave car as is.

OR

Pay $2K and get more performance out of a vehicle they are titled on or owe money on.

It's really that simple.

Getting bent over the OPTIONAL OPTION to exchange $2,000 for more more performance is ridiculous. Keep your AWD- if that makes you happy. It's my money to be AWD+ if I feel like it.

Agree with what others have said. This is a money grab plain and simple. Maybe other future updates will be purchased now rather than free. Elon likes to tout that the car will appreciate in value through over the air updates, but it seems kind of silly to say it appreciates in value if you have to pay for those updates.
With that said I hope this generates tons of cash since I’m a stockholder

It’s off the table for me since I’m leasing.

You seem to be forgetting that Model 3 has gotten two free 5% power increases via updates in the past year and now this

Appreciating like a muh fugga

At least for me, the Tesla app version 3.10.2 on iOS did not have the "Upgrades" menu item.
I had to initiate an upgrade to 3.10.3 before the "Upgrades" menu showed up.

If someone is buying a new Model 3, +$8k from an AWD will get them a Performance, so this looks like a poor value.

However, for existing owners who can't take advantage of that without taking a depreciation hit, and at the time of purchase in Summer 2018, were looking at +$16k from an AWD to a Performance, $2k to get you halfway there in terms of straightline speed with a quick OTA update doesn't seem too bad of a deal.

Now we have to figure out what to call this model... AWD+? :)

EDIT: Just as I posted that, I got the e-mail with the Telsa app requirements. Haha...

Log into your Tesla Account and select Upgrades to purchase. You can now also purchase upgrades from the Tesla app — download version 3.10.3 to access the Upgrades menu.​

Likewise the brakes are downgrades when it comes time to replace/repair em, and offer no benefit in street use compared to stock... they'll do better than stock on a (non-drag) track of course but you'd do better still at that track in a P3D- on 18 or 19s and using MPPs even better brake kit

How often do you even use your brakes? With the new hold mode I rarely even touch the brake pedal. I can’t imagine I'll ever have to replace them in my 3 year lease.

For the wheels.... I think they look pretty cool. Although I don’t like the gray ones they currently offer. Prefer the silver/alloy ones on mine.

Don't forget the suspension is also different. It's lower and stiffer. Corners better than my BMW 340i with track package, and almost as good as my RWD 135i.

Hmm. Seems silly they would add a whole upgrades menu just for this one item. Hopefully more “upgrades” are incoming.

That said I manually updated my app and don’t have an option for upgrades (that I can find). SR+ so no acceleration boost here, which makes sense.

For those of you worried about wh/m change. I drive my P3D+ pretty aggressively and I hover around 350wh/m. (+/-20) So big difference compared to the 250ish I see most LR+ owners report. So expect this upgrade to lower your range.

with this particular upgrade, that does not look to be the case Dan... I've gotten almost exactly the same wh/m with my stealth over 5k miles that I did with my dual motor. to be fair, some may be more tempted to floor it than I am, but, I think the big wheels vs. 18s with aeros on is bulk of the difference for most people. Tesla's 2020 EPA ratings actually show the exact same range for the dual motor and the P with 18" wheels.

with this particular upgrade, that does not look to be the case Dan... I've gotten almost exactly the same wh/m with my stealth over 5k miles that I did with my dual motor. to be fair, some may be more tempted to floor it than I am, but, I think the big wheels vs. 18s with aeros on is bulk of the difference for most people. Tesla's 2020 EPA ratings actually show the exact same range for the dual motor and the P with 18" wheels.

I floor it every chance I get. So that contributes quite a bit.

• Funny
Reactions: SteveG3
Hello,

I just got an email from Tesla confirming the ability to purchase Acceleration Boost. It says, “Boost your acceleration from Standard to Sport and improve your 0-60 mph time from 4.4seconds to 3.9 seconds.”

Attachments

• E8AD7563-FD24-4B50-A616-1396EC43B93F.png
    E8AD7563-FD24-4B50-A616-1396EC43B93F.png
    773.1 KB · Views: 66