Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those wondering what the email looks like... The pic is below, but also here is the text so it becomes searchable.

We have a LR AWD w/FSD so we didn't have any "Upgrades" area/button in our account. Now we do when I log into Tesla.com and click the manage button for the car. This is where I can now buy the option.

Here is the text from the email I got:
"The Acceleration Boost is now available for Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive owners.

Boost your acceleration from Standard to Sport and improve your 0-60 mph time from 4.4 seconds to 3.9 seconds.

You will receive the update once your car is parked — connect to Wi-Fi to update sooner. Note, you will need to have software version 2019.40.2 installed for the upgrade to complete.

Log into your Tesla Account and select Upgrades to purchase. You can now also purchase upgrades from the Tesla app — download version 3.10.3 to access the Upgrades menu."

upload_2019-12-19_5-46-20.png

Reactions: MagnusMako
Trying to figure out how much performance is worth what.. i see comments saying it’s not worth $2K for a .5 sec perf boost but thats a little subjective. How much would a 0.5 sec boost performance upgrade cost on a ICE vehicle usually. I wouldn't be surprised that, if feasible, that upgrade would cost over $2K.
Thinking out loud here and really, im wondering.

@MagnusMako did some Dragy tests last night

Since going from 4.4 to 3.9 doesn't seem like a lot, I had to explain that the closer you get to zero, how much more difficult it is so every 0.1 second that is removed, that's actually a lot. "...and Babe, this gets us 0.5 seconds - that's a lot!!" haha.. Here is how this is going to go down I think. She is going to sit on it for a while and as soon as someone beats her off the line somewhere, she'll come back to me and say "How much was that upgrade again?" haha. She's pretty competitive so I think it's a matter of time for us.

Buying it via the App will cost Tesla 30% in revenue. Not a smart move on their part. Wonder if Apple will actually hit them up for the 30% cut.

...that's... not at all how that works.

Apple gets 30% of app purchases-like if you buy add-ons for the app, or say books or music you can consume via the phone/app.... including such purchases made from within an app.

They don't get 30% of every type of good and service you sell THROUGH an app but don't deliver that way. That'd be insane... (and put companies like Uber and Lyft entirely out of business)

...that's... not at all how that works.

Apple gets 30% of app purchases-like if you buy add-ons for the app, or say books or music you can consume via the phone/app.... including such purchases made from within an app.

They don't get 30% of every type of good and service you sell THROUGH an app but don't deliver that way. That'd be insane... (and put companies like Uber and Lyft entirely out of business)

Interesting about Uber. Didn’t think of it that way. They take money from me for selling items via my app so I have to use a 3rd party payment system and send my items via digital codes to redeem in app. Maybe it’s different between office apps and gaming apps.

I just bought it via in app. Thanks.

Last edited:
We just purchased it. Tesla's are very rare in our area, and passengers are always blown away by the acceleration. I can't imagine what they are going to say after the acceleration boost. It's also fun to destroy the modded coal rolling diesels that people have 60k+ into...

Mostly purchased it because I believe in Tesla's mission and think every little bit of income helps them achieve the mission.

Hmmm, wonder when the app store will make that available to me.

Go into the app update page and "pull down" to refresh. Interface on IOS13 isn't super clear, at least to me.

Buying it via the App will cost Tesla 30% in revenue. Not a smart move on their part. Wonder if Apple will actually hit them up for the 30% cut.

It's a straight Apple Pay option in the app, not through the store. Likely against apple terms but apple didn't notice in their review process. I would expect that to go away soon...