Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure out how much performance is worth what.. i see comments saying it’s not worth $2K for a .5 sec perf boost but thats a little subjective. How much would a 0.5 sec boost performance upgrade cost on a ICE vehicle usually. I wouldn't be surprised that, if feasible, that upgrade would cost over $2K.
Thinking out loud here and really, im wondering.
That's a tough one. Already starting pretty fast, it's harder to get faster. Dropping .5 out of a 8-10s 0-60 car is cheaper.

A chip upgrade would be in the $300-$1200 range. Depending if reputable company or a company that copied the mapping from a reputable company. Anything involving modifications would be a good bit more. Exhaust improvements, turbo/super charging, upsizing intake/injectors.

If it was my car, I'd consider it but not available for the S. Wife isn't interested at all for her 3. But if you offered her a heated steering wheel that's a whole different thing.

Reactions: pcons and ChunkAhoy
Trying to figure out how much performance is worth what.. i see comments saying it’s not worth $2K for a .5 sec perf boost but thats a little subjective. How much would a 0.5 sec boost performance upgrade cost on a ICE vehicle usually. I wouldn't be surprised that, if feasible, that upgrade would cost over $2K.
Thinking out loud here and really, im wondering.

Ask anyone who has modded say a turbo car for that kind of bump. You could get a reflashed engine control software and yeah you might pick up 30-50 horsepower with no part changes (depends on the engine) but it's almost always aftermarket, so you are at the mercy of the dealership honoring your warranty. Cost could be anywhere from about $800 to $2000 dollars for a "canned" software update, or an optimized one for your specific car will cost more. If you add exhaust etc you have to pay for those parts and you may have to pay for custom software tuning to make sure it works. The risk of something going wrong increases. On my 2.3 liter Mustang I had a stage 1 Cobb off the shelf tune. I think it was good for 20 or 30 horsepower and maybe 50 lb/ft of torque, I don't remember. It was good but a bit touchy compared to an OEM mapping.

Also with aftermarket mods on ICE cars you could have emissions concerns once you go down that road. Ask anyone with a Stage 2 Subaru who lives in California. You could have OBD diagnostic monitors having trouble running, failed visual inspections from changing out parts, etc.

$2k for a full warranty 100% hassle free over the air bump in let's say at least 50hp is a good deal.

SO F’n lame!! Again Tesla sh!ts on their early adopters!!!!

LR RWD - no upgrade for my SLOW CAR.

I paid more money than a current performance version and got stuck with the worst model 3 every made. Give us a performance boost you clowns!!
From what I've seen, some of the boost is coming by using the front motor. I'd love to know how you propose for Tesla to install a front motor in your car through a software update.

Also, "worst Model 3"? Just on this forum, I see people wishing that the LR RWD were still an option, so it can't be that bad.

I paid more money than a current performance version and got stuck with the worst model 3 every made. Give us a performance boost you clowns!!
Don't you have an alcantra headliner and a full orange roof, full charging cable setup (with the 1772 adapter), homelink, and lifetime premium connectivity? That is $4,000 in extra stuff right there. You also got to experience the cool factor where everyone who sees your car points and goes wow. The Model 3 is hella common now, that wow factor is gone. You paid for that. The people that really got the short end of the stick are those who didn't get the tax credit and bought the Performance Model 3 for $70k+ when it first came out. You got all the charging speed upgrades, you got all the EAP upgrades, and you even have the opportunity to have the FSD chip. Your car is better than any of the RWD versions being sold new today and your car is two years old...

They'll upgrade your RWD to a Performance version. Just make the car you want to be upgraded to on the car builder, couple weeks later they will give you a call and swap with you! Upgrade cost is difference in value

I'm sure in a year or two my HW3 LR AWD will be behind the curve and not able to get certain features. Remember if you buy a car from another OEM they basically do nothing for you. They want you to buy a new model year to get any improvements.

Reactions: pcons
I’m perfectly happy with our LR RWD cars. The acceleration on them is still ridiculously fast. Nobody can keep up with us other than some other Teslas on the road. And they strike the perfect balance between price, range, and premium features. While it’s nice to have even more speed it’s tough to justify paying so much extra when we live in sunny Southern California and really don’t benefit from the extra traction that comes from an AWD car.

How to describe it?
Remember the free 5% accel bump a few months ago? The increase itself is just a little more noticeable than that. I'd call it an additional 5-10% roughly?
A tiny bit more 'oomph' into the seat initially, and definitely more sustained 'pinned to the seat' feeling; but still nothing like ludicrous mode.
Is it worth $2K? Well, that's all a matter of opinion. For me, yes, it's a fair deal (4% price premium for 10% more power). However, for a lot of people, maybe the majority of people, I think they would be disappointed.

GuyDude! I'm right there with you brother. VIN 6163, Paid Performance Price for my RWD. Last time I ever buy a Tesla New again......

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider
Im a Tesla fanboy like most of us out there (50%, the others are Tesla fan girls), but I’m starting to get price gouging fatigue...

• $9.99 for connectivity (which is the only way to get AM radio stations
  • $2000 for performance upgrade
  • $4000-6000 for full autopilot after I thought I already had it
  • $250 for EV Registration in Illinois (was $29)
I know that some of these are improvements, but I really feel like I’m getting nickel and dimed and while I’ve saved money owning the car, if these add on fees continue, I am going to become disgruntled.

Hope I don’t regret it.

DD5FE0DD-D517-4666-B7D4-4312372E88F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 6E2281D9-5182-487B-9501-F4875557011D.jpeg
    6E2281D9-5182-487B-9501-F4875557011D.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 48
Im a Tesla fanboy like most of us out there (50%, the others are Tesla fan girls), but I’m starting to get price gouging fatigue...

• $9.99 for connectivity (which is the only way to get AM radio stations
  • $2000 for performance upgrade
  • $4000-6000 for full autopilot after I thought I already had it
  • $250 for EV Registration in Illinois (was $29)
I know that some of these are improvements, but I really feel like I’m getting nickel and dimed and while I’ve saved money owning the car, if these add on fees continue, I am going to become disgruntled.
Don't pay for them and enjoy the car you had when you bought it. If you are being charged for connectivity, you should have known that when you bought the car. It was pretty clear in the builder you had a limited trial for that. The rest are extras that weren't even available when you bought the car. I'm happy they aren't just saying "2020 cars have a performance boost and go 3.9 now, and old cars can't upgrade to FSD" That is what the other car companies do

Yes the Model 3 recently received a second 5% power boost and the car does feel a little faster to me but to be fair that is something that is hard for me to measure. I think they are now offering an additional boost to AWD owners for an additional $2k upgrade.