Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone who bought the upgrade let me know if you get that stomach churning, dizziness feeling you get from driving the performance M3? I guess this would be my determining factor if I will buy the upgrade or not. It’s it’s just more of a violent launch without that sickness feeling that we already get on the LR AWD I don’t think it’s worth it. The prior two 5% freebies wasn’t noticeable imo.

I'm happy for the LR AWD owners but have to say that as a Performance Model 3 owner, I'm bittersweet about it. I bought the performance model only for the better acceleration and didn't care about the bigger wheels, brakes or spoilers. We were also told the motors were different...

Now that the Dual Motor AWD accelerates as much at a Performance Model 3, there will be little selling points for people to buy a Performance instead of a LR AWD... which will ultimately hurt resale value of the Performance Model 3.

I'm hoping that Tesla will provide an update at some point that will increase the acceleration for the Performance Model, hopefully under 3 seconds... :p

Meanwhile, enjoy your need car :)
This isn’t bringing parity. The performance is now at 2.9.. this puts 3D drivers at 3.9. Still a pretty wide gap there. Those of us in early 3Ds have the capability to be uncorked, but latter models supposedly have lower gauge wiring and can’t handle the full power of performance. Dunno the truth on that, but makes some sense. Regardless, the P3Ds are still monsters over 3D.

I'm happy for the LR AWD owners but have to say that as a Performance Model 3 owner, I'm bittersweet about it. I bought the performance model only for the better acceleration and didn't care about the bigger wheels, brakes or spoilers. We were also told the motors were different...

Now that the Dual Motor AWD accelerates as much at a Performance Model 3, there will be little selling points for people to buy a Performance instead of a LR AWD... which will ultimately hurt resale value of the Performance Model 3.

I'm hoping that Tesla will provide an update at some point that will increase the acceleration for the Performance Model, hopefully under 3 seconds... :p

Meanwhile, enjoy your need car :)

Dragtimes dude already hit 0-60 in 2.998 in p3d(+) with latest update.

Reactions: Olds442
This isn’t bringing parity. The performance is now at 2.9.. this puts 3D drivers at 3.9. Still a pretty wide gap there. Those of us in early 3Ds have the capability to be uncorked, but latter models supposedly have lower gauge wiring and can’t handle the full power of performance. Dunno the truth on that, but makes some sense. Regardless, the P3Ds are still monsters over 3D.
You are quoting actual vs. Tesla numbers. This 2K upgrade puts the actual for the dual motor @ 3.46 w/1 foot rollout (2.9 is for this same measurement on P3D), and 3.7x w/out the rollout. Teslas's 3.9 is extremely conservative and underrates it significantly. Source is someone on this forum using dragy in another thread.

You are quoting actual vs. Tesla numbers. This 2K upgrade puts the actual for the dual motor @ 3.46 w/1 foot rollout (2.9 is for this same measurement on P3D), and 3.7x w/out the rollout. Teslas's 3.9 is extremely conservative and underrates it significantly. Source is someone on this forum using dragy in another thread.
Ah, thanks for the correction. So there’s roughly a .6 second difference after boosts?

Reactions: phantasms
Can someone who bought the upgrade let me know if you get that stomach churning, dizziness feeling you get from driving the performance M3? I guess this would be my determining factor if I will buy the upgrade or not. It’s it’s just more of a violent launch without that sickness feeling that we already get on the LR AWD I don’t think it’s worth it. The prior two 5% freebies wasn’t noticeable imo.

I think that's very subjective. I get that stomach churning, dizziness feeling riding on a stationary boat floating up and down, usually followed by throwing up into the water.... :p

I ask the same...

Just a little disappointed with Tesla for charging for an OTA speed boost.
Yes, agree. All the people who disagree are just excited about more speed which is understandable, but this is a bad precedent and I think it hurts the brand with the average buyer. I have tons of friends who already say they wouldn’t buy a Tesla since you “pay for hardware that you can’t use”. You paid for those motors, it’s not like Tesla gave you a discount because they crippled the car. They charged you for the hardware and then just want to charge more to fully enable it. This doesn’t sit well with a lot of people. I expect at some point in the future we’ll see a full range of hacks come out for the car to enable all of these things for free.

Why are two previous power upgrades over the air free and now this one is $2000? Maybe once a bunch of people pay $2000 it will just become the new standard power on new cars... just comes off as shady to me.

That's from the EPA Datafile. At best we've found this data is completely inconsistent and thus unreliable. As you pointed out in previous years when motors were the same they said they were different and in some columns they say they're different and others the same. This is a fouled datapoint to me now.

Perhaps, but the verbiage describing the difference is clearly not a mistake, while copying and pasting a value from one cell to another incorrectly is clearly easy to do. Also note that in 2018 both EPA documents showed that the AWD And Performance were different.

The verbiage is pretty clear in implication: the Performance has a more powerful rear motor (and always has). Whether that is due to a software limit or hardware capability difference I have no idea.

Reactions: Phlier