Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took my boosted 3 out for a spin between rain drops... My impressions may be a bit subdued due to traction control kicking (cold wet roads)... Even so, the thing pulls hard. Particular noticeable (given wet roads) is the feel when gunning it from 40 mph - big difference there. From a stop, it is noticeable for sure, but traction control software on wet cold roads throttles things back a bit. I should note I charged to 85% and ran the climate control for 15 minutes, before departing. Had those limited regen dots (maybe 8-10 of them) for the short duration of my run. I can't imagine what the dizzying feeling must be like on a warm dry day! Still glad I did the upgrade, but wish it would have been a "To Stealth" Upgrade. Looking forward to CANBUS data and Dragy posts/videos, etc., in better conditions than I have here in the Seattle area!

Go test it out and report back on your seat of the pants feel.

I can notice it is faster. Way faster than I need. A normal AWD was already plenty fast for everyday driving.

The issue is I hardly go 0-60. It’s fun but not $2k fun. It’s a very nice to have and still not sure if it’s worth it, but I no longer feel regretful for not buying the performance. At the time it was $10k more for a stealth P and I was deciding spending $5k more and not get EAP or get EAP with a normal AWD.

Now I think I have the best of both worlds. EAP, FSD, and a faster AWD.

I just hope Tesla gives us Track Mode. I want to hit up a race track again and also do some 1/4 runs. Miss the old days when I was young racing ICE cars.

I can notice it is faster. Way faster than I need. A normal AWD was already plenty fast for everyday driving.

The issue is I hardly go 0-60. It’s fun but not $2k fun. It’s a very nice to have and still not sure if it’s worth it, but I no longer feel regretful for not buying the performance. At the time it was $10k more for a stealth P and I was deciding spending $5k more and not get EAP or get EAP with a normal AWD.

Now I think I have the best of both worlds. EAP, FSD, and a faster AWD.

I just hope Tesla gives us Track Mode.
Thanks for your feedback. I got my 2019 LR AWD a few months ago. I wanted a Stealth, but there were none available and I didn't think anymore were going to be made (according to the Tesla SA's), so I settled. I knew then that I would have buyers remorse if any more Stealth's hit the lots, and they did, and then I did. This will help ease that remorse somewhat, although for the same $2k money, the performance isn't quite the same as the Stealth.
Since I have absolutely no valid reason whatsoever for needing that performance anyway, it is 100% fueled by that inner child that grins every time I am on an open road and stomp the Go pedal. It is also hella fun when my wife is in the car, and without warning I stomp the pedal and watch her head hit the headrest.

I would pay $2,000 for longer range, the M3 Dual Motor AWD at 4.4 is already fast. If they can make it go faster with the same engines and battery, and a software upgrade, why not make it go further? After all, in the cold weather, we only get 80 percent of the range anyhow. Just a thought!

A P3D- is 2k more than LR AWD right now.

So offering a LR AWD unlock to P3D- wouldn't undercut anything- it'd literally be the same price.

That said- if the hidden web code is accurate this upgrade is more like "Pay the full upgrade price, get about 1/3rd of the upgrade" (you get half the acceleration increase, but no track mode or top speed boost)

I'm pretty on the fence about it... 95% of my driving is highway- where the AWD is already about as quick as a P is anyway- so it'd be pretty rare I ever got any substantive benefit from this particular unlock.

If they were gonna offer a "partial" upgrade at all I think Tesla would've been better off (revenue wise for Tesla anyway) offering a 2-tier upgrade-

$1500 for this 0.5 second bump, call that car an AWD+

$2000 more to turn an AWD+ into a full unlock P3D-.

Or if you buy both at same time it's $3000.
IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN

• Disagree
Reactions: sickbones
So I log into my Tesla account and I see upgrade available. That's weird, I already purchased FSD. I click on it and see the option to purchase a performance upgrade to go from 4.4 second 0-60 to a 3.9 second 0-60. We recently received a 5% power bump via "firmware optimization" in 2019.36.2.1 which according to several testers resulted in a decreased 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds of a model 3 dual motor. So did they roll that back so they could charge for it? Or is the real 0-60 decrease 4.1 to 3.9?

I'll also just say one of the main reasons I purchased a Tesla was the promise of increased functionality and improvements via software updates. I find it kinda crappy for them to charge for a software update because of perceived value of increased power. I paid for a non-existent FSD feature. Is Tesla going to start pulling "valuable" features I would expect to be part of that when it becomes available and charging for them?