Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be a fair statement if Tesla did not market their cars as having a competitive edge due to free over the air upgrades. If I bought a Ford I wouldn’t expect them to send free upgrades but Elon continuously touts how the car will appreciate in value through free upgrades. Next thing will be when they say everybody who paid for FSD has to pay another $5000 to enable robotaxi mode.
Respectfully, free software updates doesn't have to mean that ALL updates have to be free. Tesla will still make updates to functionality, and they have given free speed boost updates. At no time did they promise speed updates and we got 2 of them. If you don't want the extra speed and you are happy with the AWD-, don't buy...simple as that.

I would expect the activation of heated rear seats in SR+ to also become a paid upgrade, and it should IMHO. These are options that you can put on, just that you can add them after ordering. Personally as someone who debated trading my AWD for a P3D- but couldn't justify the ~15-20k hit, I'm happy to have the option to get closer to P3D-. Would like full P3D-, but I'll take this...

Objectively it actually is

The Model 3 LR AWD currently costs $48,990 and has a HP rating of 446.7 ( as per wikipedia ) giving a cost per HP of 109.6HP/$. 10% of 446.7 is 44.67 which "should" cost $4895.83 so 10% for $2k is a bargain. HP ain't cheap look at the cost of a full exhaust and intake for an ICE car often over $2k all said and done and that's usually only around a 2-5% increase

That's not always true anymore, these days with turbo cars you can get an ECU flash/chip mod for something like $800-$1000 and gain 10-20% power increase pretty easily. For example this company offers a 25% increase in HP for the BMW M2 Competition as a simple ECU tune for $1k: M2 Competition Power Upgrades | Litchfield Motors

Reactions: rlb4
Ha Ha.
So now that you aren’t getting free stuff that no other manufacturer offers in any way, it’s a bad trend :)
Look up entitled in the dictionary, and let me know what you find. Lol.

Yeah perhaps I am - I've been spoiled. Yes, no other auto mfr really does this and it's well within Tesla's right to charge for any updates. However, one of the key 'selling' points I make when explaining why someone should buy a Tesla, is that it's like a smart phone with frequent, free enhancements.

They need some kind of “profile” setup for add-ons like this if that’s the model they will go with in the future. I’d feel a lot better about this sort of thing if my Tesla profile just had “acceleration boost” on it so any future car I get would also get that benefit or it’s equivalent. Since I usually lease cars these types of add-ons will never make sense financially since they can’t be residualized into the lease payment after the fact. Like if this were $20 more a month on my lease then I’d be interested, but to pay $2000 for a car I don’t have the option to buy would be silly.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Went ahead and got this in the morning. Definitely feels faster, throttle more responsive throughout. Cant wait to see videos but if the initial test numbers posted early are correct this is awesome 0-60 3.4 with roll and 0-60 3.7 with out. I'm pretty happy with it either way, gives it just enough punch. Considering I would have paid 2k or more for intake, exhaust and ECU upgrade while voiding my warranty on my previous ICE vehicles its nice to get this unde rwarranty.

Attachments

• IMG_8309.jpg
    IMG_8309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
I wonder if this will become an option at the time of ordering and be more expensive post delivery. It's not on the configurator as of now. And I do wonder if there will be periodic sales on it. And whether, if the Acceleration Boost becomes even better in the future (e.g., 0.6 or 0.7 sec instead of 0.5 sec), it will cost more, and will people who already bought it get that improvement for free, or for a prorated amount.

I wonder if this will become an option at the time of ordering and be more expensive post delivery. It's not on the configurator as of now.

Currently it makes no sense to buy this for a new purchase- the P3D- is better in every way for the same price.

Some have speculated that means the P3D- is going up in price (or they'll stop making mystery batches of em at all) but it's unclear if any of that will come to pass.

Currently it makes no sense to buy this for a new purchase- the P3D- is better in every way for the same price.

Some have speculated that means the P3D- is going up in price (or they'll stop making mystery batches of em at all) but it's unclear if any of that will come to pass.

Yes but many purchasers don't know what a P3D- is, that it ever existed, and that it exists now. So if you don't know to ask for it, you may be interested in (a potentially discounted) Acceleration Boost at the time of purchase. Even though, if you knew it existed, a P3D- for the exact same price is obviously better.

2K for about a half second performance improvement? Meh! Now throw in some beefier brakes/calipers which would definitely be an incentive for me. But just a .5 second improvement, and nothing else for 2K, hell no! I’m sure the fanboys will disagree but hey if you want to throw your money ahead, I don’t judge. I’ll just save my 2K for Cybertruck down payment, or other tangible accessories.

Last edited: