Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's obvious a lot of people have never modded an ICE vehicle.

An intake, full exhaust system, and tune costs more the $2,000, and potentially voids your warranty.

0.5 seconds for an easy peasy software update is not a bad deal at all. Don't have to get your hands dirty, don't have to pay someone to do the work and hope they know what they're doing, don't have to possibly have your car down for a weekend, etc etc.

An intake, full exhaust system, and tune costs more the $2,000, and potentially voids your warranty.

0.5 seconds for an easy peasy software update is not a bad deal at all. Don't have to get your hands dirty, don't have to pay someone to do the work and hope they know what they're doing, don't have to possibly have your car down for a weekend, etc etc.

The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change? That’s the issue here. You already paid for the motors that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid for. Give it time. Once these cars become even more mainstream people will be voiding the warranty and reverse engineering everything so all this software lock stuff will be a thing of the past.

Yes but many purchasers don't know what a P3D- is, that it ever existed, and that it exists now. So if you don't know to ask for it, you may be interested in (a potentially discounted) Acceleration Boost at the time of purchase. Even though, if you knew it existed, a P3D- for the exact same price is obviously better.

Would add to that even for people in the know, they are still hard to get / come by in the configuration you want.
Really takes perfect timing or extreme patience of months waiting to land one.

Reactions: ZappCatt
I'm having the same problem as others... purchased the upgrade but can't seem to figure out how to download it. I see my invoice showing it's paid for. Tesla app is at 3.10.2 and don't know how to update it- there isn't an update pending in the google play store for it either.

I see sheep running off the cliff edge and Tesla laughing. If no one bought this it would be put up again for far less. Tesla said FSD would never be reduced and they just did id again. Just wait until next year....

Did I miss an FSD sale announcement?

AFAIK the only time the price on FSD has ever gone down was the ~10 day sale back in March- Which Tesla quickly killed and admitted publicly was a mistake they won't repeat.

It's only gone up otherwise.

Reactions: Perry and Pcoliver
Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid

Not true at all, Tesla setup the car to do what it could at the time, they have now found ways to make it faster. Do you really think they wouldn't have ever wanted to sell the same car with slower specs? and that they had a "grand conspiracy" to wait two years to unveil the better performance? that makes no sense at all....

The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change? That’s the issue here. You already paid for the motors that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid for. Give it time. Once these cars become even more mainstream people will be voiding the warranty and reverse engineering everything so all this software lock stuff will be a thing of the past.
ICE vehicles are detuned from the factory, my old G8 GXP only made about 370 rwhp stock, with full exhaust, basic bolt ons and a tune it maybe about 410, added a cam it made 450, added twin turbos and it made 700+.

If companies made better intake/exhaust systems from the factory, extra power would be there too.

Same with computers, they de-throttle stuff and you can over clock and make them run faster.

No one is going to give 100% of what it can do straight from the manufacturer.

I'm having the same problem as others... purchased the upgrade but can't seem to figure out how to download it. I see my invoice showing it's paid for. Tesla app is at 3.10.2 and don't know how to update it- there isn't an update pending in the google play store for it either.
No download. Just get in the car and drive. Check the Driving screen to confirm "Chill and Sport" are the two options. Select "Sport".

The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change? That’s the issue here.

That is literally how a lot of ICE cars have worked. For year and years and years.

Most often you had to pay a 3rd party for the unlock though instead of the manufacturer...or get a laptop and do it yourself. Increasing the stock boost, or adjusting fuel trims, timing, etc...

I was doing stuff like that on an old thinkpad in the 90s on LT1 motor GM vehicles for example.

You already paid for the motors that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid for. Give it time. Once these cars become even more mainstream people will be voiding the warranty and reverse engineering everything so all this software lock stuff will be a thing of the past.

Especially on newer Teslas this is a lot harder than you think... especially if you want to keep getting new routine updates where the car has to connect to Teslas servers and it can detect tampering and remove it.

Not to mention the DMCA likely makes doing this illegal in a lot of cases (in the US anyway) which is likely why there's nobody officially offering such a service to say unlock ludicrous on S/X cars that didn't pay Tesla for it.

Weren't there always 2 options? I thought I could always go into chill mode. Did they just rename the other mode? Maybe it said "Standard" beforehand? Because I do see "chill" and "sport".

The performance model only comes with Chill and SPort, Non Perf come with Chill and Standard. If you get this upgrade you will see Chill and Sport although not as sport as performance lol but I am still enjoying it.

• Informative
Reactions: Perry and ZappCatt

The thing is with the current crop of ICE turbo cars you can easily get 20-25% power gain with just a ECU flash, purely software and usually costs less than $1k. There are BMW M2 Competition chips that offer 100 extra hp for $1k.