Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow Wugz on Reddit. He'll be posting later today.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 4.36.32 PM.png

I updated my iOS app as well and I don't see the Upgrades section whatsoever. I bought the Acceleration Boost on Tesla's page and it shows up under my profile, but the car has not been updated.

Check if you have Sport instead of Standard in the driving menu.

I bought the update and walked out to my car ready to use my phone as mobile hotspot, but to my surprise it was already rebooting. I looks like it updated by itself over LTE.

Went ahead and got this in the morning. Definitely feels faster, throttle more responsive throughout. Cant wait to see videos but if the initial test numbers posted early are correct this is awesome 0-60 3.4 with roll and 0-60 3.7 with out. I'm pretty happy with it either way, gives it just enough punch. Considering I would have paid 2k or more for intake, exhaust and ECU upgrade while voiding my warranty on my previous ICE vehicles its nice to get this unde rwarranty.

Interesting you dont get 3 options for acceleration - chill, standard sport but just chill and sport. thanks for screenshot.

It's obvious a lot of people have never modded an ICE vehicle.

An intake, full exhaust system, and tune costs more the $2,000, and potentially voids your warranty.

0.5 seconds for an easy peasy software update is not a bad deal at all. Don't have to get your hands dirty, don't have to pay someone to do the work and hope they know what they're doing, don't have to possibly have your car down for a weekend, etc etc.
I agree with you, except most ICE cars are turbo now. Like my old car, which .5 better 0-60 could be obtained with a $700 chip tune.

The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change? That’s the issue here. You already paid for the motors that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid for. Give it time. Once these cars become even more mainstream people will be voiding the warranty and reverse engineering everything so all this software lock stuff will be a thing of the past.

BMW Performance sells a tune and an axle back exhaust for $3k. It nets you 35 HP and 40 ft-lbs.

All that gain is from the software. An axle back exhaust doesn't give you squat for gains. So same issue there. You're unlocking what you already had on the car.

I've read a few comments that it now broke traction when launching. If that's a regular occurrence, then what's the point of this? May as well be the Mustang or Corvette that just sits there burning rubber while a Tesla is already at 60 mph. Does the P3D- have an issue holding traction on launch? Don't see why this would be any different.

With this upgrade a LR AWD can beat a M3P if you catch him sleeping at the light. Maybe lol.

For the people who complain the .5 upgrade is expensive,you are correct. Because going from 14.5 to 14 second's in an ICE car is expensive.

Once you start going faster,the more expensive it gets.
Every time you install a performance part you must re-tune to get the benefit from the part.
Each re-tune can cost from 300 to 500.
After installing each part you have to relearn your car again to be able lower your times.

You can tell who in this thread has modded an ICE car and who in this thread is comparing everything to mobile apps and video games.

I haven't commented. But admittedly fall more into the apps and video games crowd. This gets many of us to rethink things.

Question though: do we think elon and crew have some written down guidelines somewhere for what upgrades cost and which are free? Or are they completely subjective and near term economics drive?

Wugz always puts out a great easy to understand metrics based analysis of what's real.

With the recent 5% power improvement, a 4.4 0-60 became 4.18 seconds. Any insight if "Acceleration Boost" takes the vehicle from 4.18 seconds down to 3.9 seconds (not worth $2,000 IMO), or if it is really now 4.18 down to 3.7 seconds (95% of the stated 3.9 in the boost offer)?

Looks like for $2K buyers are getting +50HP & -0.378 secs vs. the last free power bump (2019.36.2) in October:

& my own simplify interpretation at that time:
Model 3 AWD 2019.32 vs 2019.36 Peak power up 7.5%, Peak torque up 1%, 0-60 mph down 0.1s

Last edited:
I've read a few comments that it now broke traction when launching. If that's a regular occurrence, then what's the point of this? May as well be the Mustang or Corvette that just sits there burning rubber while a Tesla is already at 60 mph. Does the P3D- have an issue holding traction on launch? Don't see why this would be any different.

this is not the case. It still hooks faaaaar better than an ICE car. Every single run I’ve done on my AWD in the past year has been faster than the best 0-60 run of my old C7Z07. I did the boost. It hooked in the snow last night. This is a non issue.

I haven't commented. But admittedly fall more into the apps and video games crowd. This gets many of us to rethink things.

Question though: do we think elon and crew have some written down guidelines somewhere for what upgrades cost and which are free? Or are they completely subjective and near term economics drive?
I think they saw people say they would pay for more power and are now seeing if we will put our money where our mouths are.

any inkling as to whether something similar will be offered for the SR+?

I very much doubt it, but it is physically possible it appears, and the best result would be 0-60: 4.25s (1ft) 4.5 sec (no 1ft) (compare to current ~5s/~5.3s)

That looks like what the SR+ would be capable of based on what we know:

SR+ Rear motor is the same 980 as the P3D.
Based on P3D results, maximum battery kW from SR+ battery is about 290kW. (390HP) (31/46*580HP)
Rear motor maximum input power is 265kW based on P3D (355HP)
So not battery limited.
P3D rear motor max torque is 420Nm (650Nm total for P3D)
SR+ is about 13% lighter than P3D.

So very roughly, 3.1s*420/650*1.13 = 4.25s

Will probably never happen though! Depends how much money they want I guess.

Reactions: Phlier and Zoomit