Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of ICE manufacturers do that. The bargain basement 3 series (320 etc) is basically software limited in boost. They just don't give you the option to upgrade.
I'm not sure the ICE to electric modding comparison is apples to apples. With an ICE car, turning up the boost comes with a tradeoff in most cases - reliability. Not all ICE motors are detuned turbo motors. Many times, hardware (intake, exhaust, etc) needs to be added and then a custom tune is needed to extract power. Want more power? More hardware and more tuning.

It's much different knowing that the Taycan motor combo could offer a max output of, for example, 800hp equivalent but is software limited across models. In other words, ICE cars give you a baseline power, and then you need to figure out how much power you can push (and how much it will cost) before things break. Electric cars are more transparent in showing the upper limits of the platform.

I'm having the same problem as others... purchased the upgrade but can't seem to figure out how to download it. I see my invoice showing it's paid for. Tesla app is at 3.10.2 and don't know how to update it- there isn't an update pending in the google play store for it either.
Mine updated in ~1min. On the driving screen for acceleration it shows “chill” and “sport” after installed.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm not sure the ICE to electric modding comparison is apples to apples. With an ICE car, turning up the boost comes with a tradeoff in most cases - reliability. Not all ICE motors are detuned turbo motors. Many times, hardware (intake, exhaust, etc) needs to be added and then a custom tune is needed to extract power. Want more power? More hardware and more tuning.

It's much different knowing that the Taycan motor combo could offer a max output of, for example, 800hp equivalent but is software limited across models. In other words, ICE cars give you a baseline power, and then you need to figure out how much power you can push (and how much it will cost) before things break. Electric cars are more transparent in showing the upper limits of the platform.
This has a cost of reliability too. Higher current draw from the battery. More heat developed in the power electronics. More wear on the half shafts & suspension. Heck, even more force on the seat sliders. All of this could create an additional warranty cost or longer term repair costs.

Even if designed for the higher load, there are still going to be some failures.

I agree with you, except most ICE cars are turbo now. Like my old car, which .5 better 0-60 could be obtained with a $700 chip tune.

On all my ICE cars I've had in the past even when there was a turbo mode I always ended up using the eco gas saving mode so I could save the most on gas. So for me, any kind of turbo modes never did me any good.

This has a cost of reliability too. Higher current draw from the battery. More heat developed in the power electronics. More wear on the half shafts & suspension. Heck, even more force on the seat sliders. All of this could create an additional warranty cost or longer term repair costs.

Even if designed for the higher load, there are still going to be some failures.
Then don’t buy it and stop complaining about what others want. It doesn't void the warranty. Personally I would much rather see Tesla put their effort to things like acceleration boost rather than video games, karaoke, farts, and fireplaces.

I very much doubt it, but it is physically possible it appears, and the best result would be 0-60: 4.25s (1ft) 4.5 sec (no 1ft) (compare to current ~5s/~5.3s)

That looks like what the SR+ would be capable of based on what we know:

SR+ Rear motor is the same 980 as the P3D.
Based on P3D results, maximum battery kW from SR+ battery is about 290kW. (390HP) (31/46*580HP)
Rear motor maximum input power is 265kW based on P3D (355HP)
So not battery limited.
P3D rear motor max torque is 420Nm (650Nm total for P3D)
SR+ is about 13% lighter than P3D.

So very roughly, 3.1s*420/650*1.13 = 4.25s

Will probably never happen though! Depends how much money they want I guess.

I know there’s not many of us around but do you have similar numbers for LR RWD cars?

The car is plenty fast for me but at this point I have no idea how quick it is to 60 and through the quarter mile or how much power it’s making.

I know there’s not many of us around but do you have similar numbers for LR RWD cars?

The car is plenty fast for me but at this point I have no idea how quick it is to 60 and through the quarter mile or how much power it’s making.

To be clear these are just approximate numbers.

But since the SR+ is not battery limited, and uses the same rear motor, but is 5% lighter, the LR RWD would be about 5% slower. So the LR RWD is much closer to maxed out as is. Poking around it looks like the LR RWD currently does something like 4.65/4.95 0-60.

That's about 0.2 seconds slower than the rough math above would suggest would be possible for LR RWD given the extra weight (seems like at best it could do 4.45/4.75).

Then don’t buy it and stop complaining about what others want. It doesn't void the warranty. Personally I would much rather see Tesla put their effort to things like acceleration boost rather than video games, karaoke, farts, and fireplaces.

I was replying to the person that said it was different from boosting the performance of an ICE car. I wasn't complaining.

The development, additional risk, and the comparative cost to get the performance from an ICE car is why they are charging for it.

I also think it's fair. If it was my car and not my wife's I would buy it. There is no such improvement available for my S.

Reactions: coleAK and justaute
The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change? That’s the issue here. You already paid for the motors that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid for. Give it time. Once these cars become even more mainstream people will be voiding the warranty and reverse engineering everything so all this software lock stuff will be a thing of the past.

No, you paid for a vehicle that was configured to behave in a certain manner. This is not an uncommon practice.

Considering many cars can see significant increases in power by just an octane tune, it is very fair to compare the two. Often times seeing substantial increases in power with little to no risk of damage to the vehicle. (pretty much ANY turbo car that is tuned to run on 87 octane)

I've read a few comments that it now broke traction when launching. If that's a regular occurrence, then what's the point of this? May as well be the Mustang or Corvette that just sits there burning rubber while a Tesla is already at 60 mph. Does the P3D- have an issue holding traction on launch? Don't see why this would be any different.

I've got a P3D- and it doesn't break loose in good weather. On tires it came with, which are Continental ProContact RX 235/40 R19s.

Pulled the trigger as well. !!

I did a few runs before I updated, and a few immediately after the performance boost update.

Conditions:
Roads were a little wet. Very little though.
It’s minus -6 degrees Celsius out.
Battery at 71% SOC. No regen dots.
had the heater on for both before and after.
I used my butt dyno only. No draggy. Sorry.

Holy crap. !
The .5 second boost is a huge difference.
I felt a whole new level of nausea. :)
If you performance guys have .5 faster than this, that is insane.

Definitely worth the bucks. I can’t wait to play with this new boost. Ha Ha.

Did I miss an FSD sale announcement?

AFAIK the only time the price on FSD has ever gone down was the ~10 day sale back in March- Which Tesla quickly killed and admitted publicly was a mistake they won't repeat.

It's only gone up otherwise.

Looks like you did. And were yo uno the per
Did I miss an FSD sale announcement?

AFAIK the only time the price on FSD has ever gone down was the ~10 day sale back in March- Which Tesla quickly killed and admitted publicly was a mistake they won't repeat.

It's only gone up otherwise.

You remember $2K and it will never be discounted again? Now it is. Were you not the one who claimed there was different hardware for the P and the AWD can't go to a P level or am I mistaken? I seem to recall saying they were going to offer this as an upgrade this year. Same way I know the motor configs before they were announced. Let's see how this pans out. In three years if it was $500 people would say it's worth it. Does anyone not realize you can't compare the cost of a feature at one price to another three years later as you had no use of the feature all those years? Regardless when the warranty is up on cars this will be a free to low cost hack. If i had no warranty on my car now it would be at full P level today at no charge. It's a click in the software as I have said long ago. Comparing to an ICE upgrade is a false premise.

Curious if anyone has checked to see what impact 2,3, and 4 passengers in the model 3 has on the 0-60 times. ?

I’ve wondered if having passengers takes the times down very much.

I guess I have performance on my mind now. :)
I just upgraded to the performance boost, and Just when I thought this car couldn’t possibly be any more fun and amazing to drive, I now have this new insane boost !!

love it.

I've read a few comments that it now broke traction when launching. If that's a regular occurrence, then what's the point of this? May as well be the Mustang or Corvette that just sits there burning rubber while a Tesla is already at 60 mph. Does the P3D- have an issue holding traction on launch? Don't see why this would be any different.
Tires

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Pulled the trigger as well. !!

I did a few runs before I updated, and a few immediately after the performance boost update.

Conditions:
Roads were a little wet. Very little though.
It’s minus -6 degrees Celsius out.
Battery at 71% SOC. No regen dots.
had the heater on for both before and after.
I used my butt dyno only. No draggy. Sorry.

Holy crap. !
The .5 second boost is a huge difference.
I felt a whole new level of nausea. :)
If you performance guys have .5 faster than this, that is insane.

Definitely worth the bucks. I can’t wait to play with this new boost. Ha Ha.

Anyone in the KW and surrounding area considering this, but wants to try it first, drop me a line.