Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this upgrade a LR AWD can beat a M3P if you catch him sleeping at the light. Maybe lol.

For the people who complain the .5 upgrade is expensive,you are correct. Because going from 14.5 to 14 second's in an ICE car is expensive.

Once you start going faster,the more expensive it gets.
Every time you install a performance part you must re-tune to get the benefit from the part.
Each re-tune can cost from 300 to 500.
After installing each part you have to relearn your car again to be able lower your times.
This is the key!!! You sir, or ma’m know what you’re talking about.exactly what happens in the ice world. Those tune get expensive fast and you have to learn the car again to get the best out of it. It was like launch on the street vs launching on prepped track to totally different approaches. Good statement

Reactions: CMoZ
This 2k update is great but... when I ordered my LR AWD I had the option of getting a "Unicorn" which was a LR AWD but with the speed of a Performance and it was only 2k to get it.. And now I'm kicking myself that I didn't.

That’s how I felt. I didn’t even know about the unicorn until right before I took delivery. I got this upgrade and I’m happy with it and after seeing the real world numbers I’m even happier

Pulled the trigger as well. !!

I did a few runs before I updated, and a few immediately after the performance boost update.

Holy crap. !
The .5 second boost is a huge difference.
I felt a whole new level of nausea. :)
If you performance guys have .5 faster than this, that is insane.

Definitely worth the bucks. I can’t wait to play with this new boost. Ha Ha.

I am glad you are enjoying the additional poooowaaaahhhh. In the the M3P we have to practice jet fighter breathing techniques to keep from passing out from the extreme g-forces. :)

I have no doubt. :)
Joking aside, I actually felt quite queasy after a few tries.
You guys must have fighter pilot constitutions for sure. :)

You get used to it just like everything else but these cars are rockets. The seats are not ideal for taking corners at high lateral force so you mainly have to be pointed straight before you put your foot in it. This is where a sports car with a much lower stance and sport seats with lots of bolstering help.

Reactions: M109Rider
That's not always true anymore, these days with turbo cars you can get an ECU flash/chip mod for something like $800-$1000 and gain 10-20% power increase pretty easily. For example this company offers a 25% increase in HP for the BMW M2 Competition as a simple ECU tune for $1k: M2 Competition Power Upgrades | Litchfield Motors

"Not always true" is not = to "Not True"

If I start digging around I can probably find examples of more expensive HP. As someone pointed out earlier as well as you approach 0 in 0-60 times for example that HP gets exponentially more expensive

Reactions: phantasms
Curious if anyone has checked to see what impact 2,3, and 4 passengers in the model 3 has on the 0-60 times. ?

I’ve wondered if having passengers takes the times down very much.

I guess I have performance on my mind now. :)
I just upgraded to the performance boost, and Just when I thought this car couldn’t possibly be any more fun and amazing to drive, I now have this new insane boost !!

love it.

Americans or Canadians?

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier
Interesting you dont get 3 options for acceleration - chill, standard sport but just chill and sport. thanks for screenshot.

That would be the ideal solution obviously. Standard was probably made for the LR to make it easier to get longer range than the P so ideal was if we could keep both modes. Was expecting a P3D- upgrade with Track mode so somewhat bummed out. Why the need to create yet another variant of the car? Then it would be an instant upgrade for me, now I will be sitting on the fence.

That would be the ideal solution obviously. Standard was probably made for the LR to make it easier to get longer range than the P so ideal was if we could keep both modes. Was expecting a P3D- upgrade with Track mode so somewhat bummed out. Why the need to create yet another variant of the car? Then it would be an instant upgrade for me, now I will be sitting on the fence.

Only you can decide what’s right for you.
I can only add that this boost is no minor improvement. It’s a big jump in speed.
I can’t imagine anyone not being totally happy with it.

I had a chance to run next to a runway at a local airport. My god, the speed boost is real. My eyes went to the back of my head and got light headed.

During my test drives with Performance Model3s were on public roads so I never felt like this before. No doubt that may be faster but the AWD+ is very fast too. I’m loving it now.

interested in seeing a race between the two.

Next week, Elon will offer "Standard mode" for those who want 3 settings, only $1000.

That’s how I felt. I didn’t even know about the unicorn until right before I took delivery. I got this upgrade and I’m happy with it and after seeing the real world numbers I’m even happier

I knew about it but in the past I never really cared about how fast a car was as long as it was fast enough. After having the 3 for a while now I want more speed. Even though it’s way fast enough, now I just want more. Glad to hear you’re happy with it. I’ll probably end up getting it too at some point.

I had a chance to run next to a runway at a local airport. My god, the speed boost is real. My eyes went to the back of my head and got light headed.

During my test drives with Performance Model3s were on public roads so I never felt like this before. No doubt that may be faster but the AWD+ is very fast too. I’m loving it now.

interested in seeing a race between the two.

I would estimate about 3-5 car lengths difference in the 1/4mi. between the a M3P and AWD+, assuming the same reaction time, etc. I figure AWD+ will do 12.0-12.1 now, about the same as new Mustang GT or stock C7 Corvette.

Figure M3Ps are running the 1/4 mi in 11.5-11.6 now, about the same as a ZL1 Camaro (650hp/tq) with a good driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingtizzy007