Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone getting the upgrade in Europe?
have latest App etc and LR AWD 2019 latest firmware but no upgrade on app or account website
Yes, available here in The Netherlands for € 1.800,-. But for me too much. I rarely use the possibility to go to 100km/hour as fast as I can, only to demonstrate sometimes. So, nice but too expensive. But hey, I’m dutch...

is this options same as making you car P3D- (stealth), that I bought a week ago?
If so that is really awesome, people can decide to make their car stealth any time, not just at the purchase like I did.

No.

Its meets right in the middle between AWD and P, more towards the low side than high side. Check the post from reddit below:

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

I made the mistake of buying it because of the hype a few hours after it released.

Not worth it. The people saying that is omgzzzz i can feel da powah! are trying to justify getting conned $2K by Tesla ( maybe its worth $1k.. MAYBE )

No.

Its meets right in the middle between AWD and P, more towards the low side than high side. Check the post from reddit below:

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

I made the mistake of buying it because of the hype a few hours after it released.

Not worth it. The people saying that is omgzzzz i can feel da powah! are trying to justify getting conned $2K by Tesla ( maybe its worth $1k.. MAYBE )

You nailed it. Don't forget justification #2, in an ICE it would cost $XXX for this performance. It's not an ICE!

The site clearly states no refund yet if they don’t refund you ; you are going to launch a credit card dispute?

Really nice
I can't seem to find where on the website during the purchase process that it states 'No refunds'. Any chance you can post a pic? I accidentally clicked on the 'Buy Now' button and the Tesla rep also mentioned ‘No Refunds’ on the site, but I can’t find it anywhere.

To be clear, I see the ‘no refunds’ in the app now that I’ve researched this, but it is not on the website which is where I accidentally clicked. The app is also Apple Pay which would require extra confirmation that you want to purchase. (Double click the lock button and FaceID are both required to confirm purchase).

Reactions: dahaz22
I can't seem to find where on the website during the purchase process that it states 'No refunds'. Any chance you can post a pic? I accidentally clicked on the 'Buy Now' button and the Tesla rep also mentioned ‘No Refunds’ on the site, but I can’t find it anywhere.

To be clear, I see the ‘no refunds’ in the app now that I’ve researched this, but it is not on the website which is where I accidentally clicked. The app is also Apple Pay which would require extra confirmation that you want to purchase. (Double click the lock button and FaceID are both required to confirm purchase).

bottom...

6EF363F2-8466-4B87-B15F-2CCA8EFE423C.png

Reactions: AlanJ
The cost comparison to ICE are irrelevant. The question is what the market will bear. You have the car you paid for and Tesla has the right to ask whatever they want for upgrades from there.

In the world of automotive performance, going from 4.0-4.2 to 3.5-3.7 is colossal. Roughly from BMW 340i to M3 (ok, the M3 gets a slew of other mechanical upgrades as well, but is a different tier of acceleration.)

So is it worth it to you? It is surely a novelty with little practical purpose. For those who can’t “feel” it, or scream “only 1/2 a second,” I believe the car has spoiled you. But $2,000 to go from a lowly Hemi Charger to near-Hellcat tier? Yes, please!

You nailed it. Don't forget justification #2, in an ICE it would cost $XXX for this performance. It's not an ICE!

Yea thats a pretty weird justification. I bet most people comparing upgrades to an ICE car haven't even had any performance cars that they have modified.

I have had a Bmw M4 and current generation z06 that i have actually modified. And guess what? The cost of the mods really depends on the car. You cannot just throw out a blanket statement that it will cost more than $2k for all ICE cars. Just a simple tune (which barely costs anything) will decrease the 0-60 times on both of these cars substantially. And most importantly you have the freedom to choose how much you want to upgrade and what power level you would like to be at. With Tesla, you are at the mercy of what Tesla offers you. Which wouldn't be so bad if they actually offered the same performance and features as the stealth since that is the price difference currently. The people who have bought this upgrade can justify it however they want but the fact is that you paid full price for half the upgrade.

Huh?

First- it's not even my picture, as I cited it's from alansubie...

Second- the column names aren't covered at all. Here's one of the same images, I circled the clearly visible column names in blue here.

View attachment 490986

No, I did not.

I said that in 2018 both AWD and P had a 980 and they had exactly the same efficiency

And that in 2020 the AWD and P, with the only hardware difference since 2018 being the AWD now has a 990 while the P still has a 980, the 990 in the AWD is less efficient than the 980 in the P.

Therefore we can conclude the 990 is not only a different motor than the 980- it's a less efficient motor- as there's otherwise no reason the #s wouldn't still be identical as in 2018.

Which just reinforces the fact the 990 must also be a cheaper motor AND incapable of handling full P power.

Tesla wouldn't put a less efficient motor in the car if it wasn't saving them money... and if it WAS saving them money AND could handle full P power- they'd be putting it in the P.

Now your'e just repeating your old posts verbatim.

What I was saying that your post was misconstrued by others to say that somehow the 2020 models were less efficient than the 2018 models, but that was not the case. Because of various improvements, 990 AWD is still more efficient than 980 AWD (if the updates for 990 were not used on the 980 AWD, but I don't know if 980 also got the same improvements, which is possible). Now of course if Tesla pushed those improvements out to the older fleet as well, then the 980 AWD efficiency would be greater than the 990 AWD efficiency.

And those column names? Please take a second look and see how they're all cut off at the end.

The comparison of price to 3P- is worthless too
As current owners we don’t have that option, this is all we have.

the value of it is debatable
It is a better value than FSD for $7k IMO

If you love your car this makes it more lovable
If you don’t love your car, are leasing your car, don’t grin every time your floor it, or are thinking of selling any time soon don’t get this

Yea thats a pretty weird justification. I bet most people comparing upgrades to an ICE car haven't even had any performance cars that they have modified.

I have had a Bmw M4 and current generation z06 that i have actually modified. And guess what? The cost of the mods really depends on the car. You cannot just throw out a blanket statement that it will cost more than $2k for all ICE cars. Just a simple tune (which barely costs anything) will decrease the 0-60 times on both of these cars substantially. And most importantly you have the freedom to choose how much you want to upgrade and what power level you would like to be at. With Tesla, you are at the mercy of what Tesla offers you. Which wouldn't be so bad if they actually offered the same performance and features as the stealth since that is the price difference currently. The people who have bought this upgrade can justify it however they want but the fact is that you paid full price for half the upgrade.

Yep, and $2000 here is literally buying you a one character config file change. It’s not like Tesla spent hundreds of thousands of dollars tweaking the motor config to support this and has to recoup the cost. They probably did a copy/paste from the performance model config, lowered a few values to make it not directly compete with the performance model, and voila! As soon as one person purchased this Tesla was in the black and buyer #2 on is all profit.

Yep, and $2000 here is literally buying you a one character config file change. It’s not like Tesla spent hundreds of thousands of dollars tweaking the motor config to support this and has to recoup the cost. They probably did a copy/paste from the performance model config, lowered a few values to make it not directly compete with the performance model, and voila! As soon as one person purchased this Tesla was in the black and buyer #2 on is all profit.

If only software development was that easy...

Look you can choose to be cynical. But I think there's a lot more here than just a simple config change, even though that may be all that is needed to trigger the faster acceleration:
  • Fleet data to ensure that the 990 motors can accept the faster speed reliably
  • Analysis of the failure rate of 990 motors to ensure that if there is additional wear/tear, that the 2k fee will cover the failure rate warranty costs
  • Putting into place the upgrade framework and such (though this is more of a shared cost as more and more stuff was deployed and built out)
Even if it is just a copy and paste, remember that this upgrade also applies to the 990 motors in the newer AWD cars, so you have to make sure the values work for the 980 and 990 motors, so at a minimum you have to do some testing to ensure there aren't any funny corner cases

Reactions: ZappCatt and pcons