Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.

Its meets right in the middle between AWD and P, more towards the low side than high side. Check the post from reddit below:

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

I made the mistake of buying it because of the hype a few hours after it released.

Not worth it. The people saying that is omgzzzz i can feel da powah! are trying to justify getting conned $2K by Tesla ( maybe its worth $1k.. MAYBE )

Speak for yourself. I feel a huge difference. I’m totally happy with it. I would do it again.
If you didn’t do your research, or regret spending money you shouldn’t have, look in the mirror for blame. Don’t bash others :)

I can't seem to find where on the website during the purchase process that it states 'No refunds'. Any chance you can post a pic? I accidentally clicked on the 'Buy Now' button and the Tesla rep also mentioned ‘No Refunds’ on the site, but I can’t find it anywhere.

To be clear, I see the ‘no refunds’ in the app now that I’ve researched this, but it is not on the website which is where I accidentally clicked. The app is also Apple Pay which would require extra confirmation that you want to purchase. (Double click the lock button and FaceID are both required to confirm purchase).

I was amazed how easy it was buy on the website lol.

It is literally one click. No check out page with all cost break down, no confirmation -nothing. Just spinning circle and done, your card is charged.

In the App ( Android ) if you go to the upgrades menu, FSD is CHECKED BY DEFAULT, so all it takes is one tap and voila you just spent $7600, non refundable. Even if you uncheck FDS and hit back, the next you enter that menu its checked again.
That is some shady sh1t

I unlinked my main CC and added a virtual one with a $500 limit, just in case

Last edited:
I was amazed how easy it was buy on the website lol.

It is literally one click. No check out page with all cost break down, no confirmation -nothing. Just spinning circle and done, your card is charged.

In the App ( Android ) if you go to the upgrades menu, FSD is CHECKED BY DEFAULT, so all it takes is one tap and voila you just spent $7600, non refundable. Even if you uncheck FDS and hit back, the next you enter that menu its checked again.
That is some shady sh1t

I unlinked my main CC and added a virtual one with a $500 limit, just in case

That's a good idea on the CC, $500 is plenty for supercharging and such. I was pissed when it happened. (Still am, but can't talk to my CC company until Monday morning.) :( $2k is a big 'accident' to swallow, but if both boost and FSD were checked it would have been close to $10k!

No...

Let me be clear....

I'll say it again.

ELON said there IS a physical difference.

Let me be clear...

You are missing the point.

You said there's a physical difference.
I've seen NOTHING as proof of that, and abundant proof there is NO physical difference.

Look-from the beginning, I placed my bet on there being NO physical difference between the M3P-, and the LR AWD model. Seems like there's less and less evidence that I was wrong.

It's not a discussion over whether or not Elon was lying. I've seen statements misunderstood, and misinterpreted before.

I'm sure many with a P3-, or P3 (which has the equipment differences, like calipers, lower suspension, etc) want there to be a physical difference, because otherwise, for whatever reason, they got cheated. They didn't.

• Love
Reactions: CMoZ
No.

Its meets right in the middle between AWD and P, more towards the low side than high side. Check the post from reddit below:

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

I made the mistake of buying it because of the hype a few hours after it released.

Not worth it. The people saying that is omgzzzz i can feel da powah! are trying to justify getting conned $2K by Tesla ( maybe its worth $1k.. MAYBE )
$2000 is a lot of money to go a tiny bit faster. But for people who don't want to take a $20-25k loss selling my rig to get a stealth performance, this is a great option. I bought my car when stealth was $12k more than Dual motor. It made 0 sense to me. so a year and a half down the road I am able to get halfway there for just 1/6th of that original price is a good deal.
Ya, stealth is only $2k more right now, but it wasn't back when most of us bought the car and resale value isn't really a concern for me because I have any intention of reselling this thing, at least until it doesn't run anymore or upkeeping it exceeds its value.
I also upgraded because my buddy bought a golf R and did a couple APR kits to be faster than my car. My car is faster once again.

can this post be limited to the accerlati
Let me be clear...

You are missing the point.

You said there's a physical difference.
I've seen NOTHING as proof of that, and abundant proof there is NO physical difference.

Look-from the beginning, I placed my bet on there being NO physical difference between the M3P-, and the LR AWD model. Seems like there's less and less evidence that I was wrong.

It's not a discussion over whether or not Elon was lying. I've seen statements misunderstood, and misinterpreted before.

I'm sure many with a P3-, or P3 (which has the equipment differences, like calipers, lower suspension, etc) want there to be a physical difference, because otherwise, for whatever reason, they got cheated. They didn't.

Everyone is just butthurt at the idea that they might be driving a detuned (via software)performance model AWD. I for one got the upgrade and I'm loving it and if they came out later next year and offered another 0.5 off I would probably take it too. I'd rather spend the money on software I can use now vs FSD which is still vaporware.

Would that $800 tune get you down to a high 11 sec 1/4mile? Would that tune get you down to a 3.9 or less 0-60? Will that tune keep your warranty?
As it sits now no one can tune your tesla,yet. So this is it. A tune from tesla,and all you have to do is press a button to get it. It truly is a good deal.

Lol... turbocharged cars in the same hp range will have the same % increase of power with the $800 tune is what I'm saying.

APR stage 1 Audi RS3 runs a 10 sec 1/4 mile and will walk a p3d like a parked car on the big end. The warranty thing is dumb...

My point is simply, IMO, $1000 would've been more fair. $2000+ to get to p3d- power would seem appropriate. At the end of the day, tesla can cahrge whatever they want and I think its cool that they did this. I was just saying from my perspective, not worth it.

I a m sure someone has an opinion or possibly even direct knowledge on this question.
Is chill mode faster than pre upgrade on AWD or does upgrade only really apply to Sport?

IIRC chill is the same on all trims of the car...I vaguely recall folks testing 0-60 and such on a P vs AWD vs RWD and all got the same 7-something second times....was a while ago so I suppose that might've changed?

I a m sure someone has an opinion or possibly even direct knowledge on this question.
Is chill mode faster than pre upgrade on AWD or does upgrade only really apply to Sport?
chill mode is the same thing that it was before. I swapped mine from sport to chill mode a couple nights ago because I had a couple pies and a few plates of cookies in the back and didn't want to accidentally send all of it into a pile

Speak for yourself. I feel a huge difference. I’m totally happy with it. I would do it again.
If you didn’t do your research, or regret spending money you shouldn’t have, look in the mirror for blame. Don’t bash others :)

It’s clear that the people saying that 0.5 seconds off the ~4.0 0-60 isn’t worth it have never owned quick cars before. This isn’t the same as going from 7.0 0-60 to 6.5. The feel you’ll get from dropping from ~4 seconds to 3.5 seconds is huge. It’s just huge.