Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been a lot of whining that the "for $2000 Boost option" didn't bring the AWD to P levels of acceleration - for the same $2000 that one could spend if buying a new Stealth P today (over an AWD model). If they paid $2000 more for a Stealth P today, instead of the AWD with the $2000 Boost, the new Stealth over time would have the additional cost of the higher insurance premiums, year after year.... So, I feel pretty good with my 6/19 build Boosted AWD+ right now...

No it’s definitely worth it for $2k. The P3 is just noticeably faster because half a second is HUGE. The LR AWD got boosted by half a second, which is massively noticeable. And the 3P is still ~0.5 seconds quicker to 60, which too is massively noticeable.
But the same from 50 to 100 mph...
For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

Also, the P costs more to insure....

But the same from 50 to 100 mph...

Also, the P costs more to insure....

Yes higher up is where these cars need a bit more oomph. Since most of my driving is in the 0-60 range I enjoy the madness of P. Still, the P should still be a hair faster above 50mph too.

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

Also whether the P costs more to insure is neither here nor there to me. I wanted the quickest 3 that Tesla makes. Heh. As it happens, quite a few insurance companies don’t distinguish between LR AWD and 3P models.

I wonder if the reason they aren’t offering a free trial is because the cost includes the anticipated warranty issues and they don’t want a bunch of people breaking things during the free trial and then needing warranty repairs without having paid the $2000.
More likely. You don't offer a trial at first so the impulse buyers are "stuck" even if thy get buyers remorse in a couple of days. You wait about a month until the "hype"/peer pressure dies down and THEN you offer a trial to "hook" the more prudent that still want.

Reactions: BrakeDome
There has been a lot of whining that the "for $2000 Boost option" didn't bring the AWD to P levels of acceleration - for the same $2000 that one could spend if buying a new Stealth P today (over an AWD model). If they paid $2000 more for a Stealth P today, instead of the AWD with the $2000 Boost, the new Stealth over time would have the additional cost of the higher insurance premiums, year after year.... So, I feel pretty good with my 6/19 build Boosted AWD+ right now...

It's the same hardware and i am pretty sure that insurance considers both models the same. Are you saying that stealth models have VIN identifiers that insurance can use to tell the difference? If not they will have the exact same premium.

Yes higher up is where these cars need a bit more oomph. Since most of my driving is in the 0-60 range I enjoy the madness of P. Still, the P should still be a hair faster above 50mph too.

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

Also whether the P costs more to insure is neither here nor there to me. I wanted the quickest 3 that Tesla makes. Heh. As it happens, quite a few insurance companies don’t distinguish between LR AWD and 3P models.

Yes, I was just pointing out the insurance cost difference because so many folks here were whining that $2000 cost too much for the Boost bump, as compared to the $2000 Stealth P "purchase new today" option. When I ordered on Father's Day, there was no Stealth P option, otherwise I would have bought it. Didn't want 20's or lowered suspension either. The Stealth showed up two weeks after I took delivery.... Re 50-100, the below post was telling. Looking forward to the video and details being provided.

It's the same hardware and i am pretty sure that insurance considers both models the same. Are you saying that stealth models have VIN identifiers that insurance can use to tell the difference? If not they will have the exact same premium.
Nope, both are not the same. Prior to Tesla recently implementing the "C" code in position eight of the VIN, to signify Performance (Incl. Stealth), I know my insurance company specifically asked last June when I set up my LR AWD - "Is your car a Performance AWD?"

As it happens, quite a few insurance companies don’t distinguish between LR AWD and 3P models.

So to be clear- for 2018 and 2019, the P and the AWD had the same VIN ID code.

For 2020 models the P (+ or -) has its own unique code (C in the 8th digit instead of the B it used to share with AWD)

If the insurance company is using that VIN letter to ID the car, the 2020 is easily IDed as a P, when it wasn't in previous years and if they didn't ask they wouldn't know from just the VIN

Nope, both are not the same. Prior to Tesla recently implementing the "C" code in position eight of the VIN, to signify Performance (Incl. Stealth), I know my insurance company specifically asked last June when I set up my LR AWD - "Is your car a Performance AWD?"

So all current stealths have "C" in the 8th position of the VIN? I guess if it's in the VIN then there is no getting around paying the extra premium.

When i got quotes for insurance, some insurance companies considered my non-performance a performance car. It's weird because i have a "B" as the eight letter. I was told they consider all dual motors and performances the same due to identical hardware. They went by the maximum performance the hardware is capable of. Similar to an ICE car where they go by the number of cylinders for an engine.

I would like to know any of the other negative side effects of the acceleration upgrade?
I saw in one post the back motor has a little less power but more torque after upgrade. Does that effect any mid level acceleration?

I am now at my father-in-law’s for Xmas and he has a stealth P. He drives it on chill all the time though ha. I have driven them both and to the laymen the feeling is similar in that roller coaster feel. I think you can feel most of the difference off the line.

Obviously watching a drag race you can see the p is way faster but when inside both give you the roller coaster take off feel.

So all current stealths have "C" in the 8th position of the VIN? I guess if it's in the VIN then there is no getting around paying the extra premium.

When i got quotes for insurance, some insurance companies considered my non-performance a performance car. It's weird because i have a "B" as the eight letter. I was told they consider all dual motors and performances the same due to identical hardware. They went by the maximum performance the hardware is capable of. Similar to an ICE car where they go by the number of cylinders for an engine.
Just search TMC for "Performance VIN" and there's a lot here on this.

P.S. My insurer is Allstate and I'm in WA state. Different companies/states, different policies.

I can’t read 64 pages of this so I’ll just ask.

Do we get a download notification of this after we order it or not? I paid for the upgrade a few days ago but have seen nothing about a download or over-the-air update yet.

I can’t read 64 pages of this so I’ll just ask.

Do we get a download notification of this after we order it or not? I paid for the upgrade a few days ago but have seen nothing about a download or over-the-air update yet.

There's nothing to download. This is literally Tesla flipping a software switch.

On the screen where it used to let you pick Chill or Standard you now have the choice of Chill or Sport. That's it.

Reactions: arghx7 and McQ14