Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the original performance AWD (before any power increases) hit 3.2 or 3.3 (0-60). Could be wrong.
The performance has since seen upgrades to now place them at 2.9 I believe.

That means the AWD non P Boosted is now sitting just shy of the original performance numbers if I have this correct.
That’s awesome. Sure feels like it too. :)

* If I have any of these details wrong, chime in.

I'm chiming in :)

Tesla dishonestly uses 2 different measurements to list 0-60 times depending if the car is a P or not.

P cars list 0-60 with 1 foot rollout. Non-P cars do not.

Anyway, pre-any-updates the P was 3.3 0-60 with rollout and the AWD was 4.2ish (4.26 was one of the with rollout results I found for example)

After the first 5% update the P was 3.1 and the AWD was 4.0 according to even car mags who tested.

After the second 5% update the P was 3.0 (a couple guys hit like 2.98) and the AWD was 3.9 (a couple guys hit like 3.86 or so)

Now with the 2k acceleration boost the AWD is ~3.5 (a couple guys have hit 3.46-3.48 times)

Which means the AWD with rollout is still a couple tenths behind the original P 0-60...but a lot closer than the 0.95 seconds it used to be behind.

You can add ~2-3 tenths to all those for the non-rollout numbers.

Tesla dishonestly uses 2 different measurements to list 0-60 times depending if the car is a P or not.

Anyway, pre-any-updates the P was 3.3 0-60 with rollout and the AWD was 4.2ish (4.26 was one of the with rollout results I found for example)

After the first 5% update the P was 3.1 and the AWD was 4.0 according to even car mags who tested.

After the second 5% update the P was 3.0 (a couple guys hit like 2.98) and the AWD was 3.9 (a couple guys hit like 3.86 or so)

Now with the 2k acceleration boost the AWD is ~3.5 (a couple guys have hit 3.46-3.48 times)

Which means the AWD with rollout is still a couple tenths behind the original P 0-60...but a lot closer than the 0.95 seconds it used to be behind.

Really fantastic breakdown, thank you for that. I have seen all of these numbers over the past few months, but it's great to see it all in one place.

Reactions: M109Rider
Could someone who bought the acceleration boost post a pic of the Driving tab showing the Sport mode? I'm assuming there's now Chill, Standard, and Sport?

The reason I'm asking is I cannot see the upgrade option either on the Tesla website or app. I've been back and forth with support, and they are saying my car is a performance version and already has it. It's definitely not a P, it's a non-P AWD. I'm the original owner, so I'm confident I would have noticed the extra $10K : ) Also, my account and the car itself shows Dual Motor and no P labeling.

What I see on the Driving tab is Chill and Sport.

Could someone who bought the acceleration boost post a pic of the Driving tab showing the Sport mode? I'm assuming there's now Chill, Standard, and Sport?

The reason I'm asking is I cannot see the upgrade option either on the Tesla website or app. I've been back and forth with support, and they are saying my car is a performance version and already has it. It's definitely not a P, it's a non-P AWD. I'm the original owner, so I'm confident I would have noticed the extra $10K : ) Also, my account and the car itself shows Dual Motor and no P labeling.

Is your Dual Motor underlined on the car, monitor, or app? If you have Chill and Sport already you may have a P3D-.......there is no exact "P" labeling......."Stealth" Ps were sometimes sold as LR AWD at cost.........Do you have track mode on the screen?

Last edited:

You have the upgrade enabled. The upgrade replaces standard with sport, so you don't get 3 options just 2 for driving style.

• Informative
Reactions: rlb4
Huh, I guess I won't complain if that's the case! But I didn't pay for it or ever see the option.
So, this is what a non-p AWD with upgrade should look like. A performance version does not say P anywhere, just a red underline under the dual motor.

No red underline when pressing the T logo and this screen pops up:

IMG_20191224_130624~2.jpg

And under the driving tab you have chill/sport, not chill/standard.

IMG_20191224_130558.jpg

If you didn't pay for a performance version (including stealth performance) and show the red underline stop asking tesla questions. They might downgrade you :) same goes if you have no underline and show the sport/chill and didn't pay for the acceleration upgrade :)

So, this is what a non-p AWD with upgrade should look like. A performance version does not say P anywhere, just a red underline under the dual motor.

No red underline when pressing the T logo and this screen pops up:

View attachment 492479

And under the driving tab you have chill/sport, not chill/standard.

View attachment 492480

If you didn't pay for a performance version (including stealth performance) and show the red underline stop asking tesla questions. They might downgrade you :) same goes if you have no underline and show the sport/chill and didn't pay for the acceleration upgrade :)
OK, I have Chill, Sport, and there's a red underline under the Dual Motor on the app and on the splash screen. I think I'll stop asking questions now : )

OK, I have Chill, Sport, and there's a red underline under the Dual Motor on the app and on the splash screen. I think I'll stop asking questions now : )
Congrats, you have a stealth P. They are the same price as this 2k upgrade to an AWD, but the same speed as a PAWD. I'll trade you :cool:

I (and many others here) would be really interested if you actually paid only for AWD but got a P3D- delivered. Double check your sales order, I'd expect it shows performance but without the perf package of 20" wheels, brakes, etc. the price would be 2k over a vanilla AWD, unless you got a deal on a loaner or something.

Thanks for chiming in. :)
And thanks for the clarity in one concise post too.