Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the people saying that the car “feels” faster at 30-60mph, but the dragy acceleration charts show fairly constant acceleration from a low speed to 60mph.

Yes. It’s kind of been proven to have the same pull as performance past a certain speed, and half a second slower 0-60.
Overall. You can absolutely feel a big difference through the range.
It’s worth it, no question.
The dilemma is if you want to part with the $2,000 for it. :)

Yes. It’s kind of been proven to have the same pull as performance past a certain speed, and half a second slower 0-60.
Overall. You can absolutely feel a big difference through the range.
It’s worth it, no question.
The dilemma is if you want to part with the $2,000 for it. :)
Agreed. There are professional videos (earlier in this and other TMC Boost threads) that prove this (Performance level pull once rolling; which is more than the AWD non performance pull). Big difference in real world usage (e.g., passing, merging, avoiding danger, etc.). Definitely worth it for me. YMMV.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
Quick question:
When I bought my AWD3 non P back in May 2019, 0-60 was already listed as 4.4 on the site, no? Then if I am not mistaken, there were two "over the air power increase" since then. Didn't these improve the 0-60?

Quick question:
When I bought my AWD3 non P back in May 2019, 0-60 was already listed as 4.4 on the site, no? Then if I am not mistaken, there were two "over the air power increase" since then. Didn't these improve the 0-60?
I believe after the second 5% boost, Tesla dropped the claimed 0-60 from 4.5 to 4.4 (on their site).

Off work and headed out of the city and found a nice safe, secluded and flat spot to do a 0-60mph. Was at 80% SoC and 65ºF. Dragy was just about to die and just got it in.

IMG_3254 (1).jpeg

I did the upgrade a few weeks ago and was kind of disappointed (still am honestly). To me the 0-60 before boost had more punch. Before boost I could make myself sick if I launched 3 or 4 times back to back. The car is for sure faster from 0-60 after the upgrade, but the take off is less violent. Because I thought it felt slower I measured frames of videos I recorded previously. It is 0.4 sec faster but it sure doesn't feel like it. I thought it might just be me, but my buddy who has also driven it confirms less kick. Maybe it's slower from 0-20 but faster from 20-60? I was really hoping for more kick not less. Am I the only one?

I did the upgrade a few weeks ago and was kind of disappointed (still am honestly). To me the 0-60 before boost had more punch. Before boost I could make myself sick if I launched 3 or 4 times back to back. The car is for sure faster from 0-60 after the upgrade, but the take off is less violent. Because I thought it felt slower I measured frames of videos I recorded previously. It is 0.4 sec faster but it sure doesn't feel like it. I thought it might just be me, but my buddy who has also driven it confirms less kick. Maybe it's slower from 0-20 but faster from 20-60? I was really hoping for more kick not less. Am I the only one?

New member as of today. This is another troll or short seller stirring the pot.
Your post is one big contradiction, clearly designed to stir the pot. How can you say you proved to yourself it is in fact faster, but also say it’s definitely got less kick and boost than before. ?????
Come on... this isn’t even troll worthy.

ec/82% SOC, 4.11/88%
Post boost update: 3.57/84% SOC, 3.65/85%, 3.67/90%, 3.69/90%.

this makes no sense.

this makes no sense.

That is not my entire post. See below:

"I just bought the boost upgrade and did pre and post Draggy tests to compare. I have a LR AWD w/ 980 motor, 22k miles, stock aero wheels. Conditions: temp 36 deg F outside. Did pre boost runs then drove home, downloaded the update and re-charged to 94% and did the post boost runs. Drove around a bit to warm up the battery(still had about 5-6 dots pre boost runs and 0-1 dots for post boost runs) and warm up the tires before both the pre and post tests. All times are with a 1 ft rollout and a validated slope.

Pre boost update: 4.07 sec/82% SOC, 4.11/88%

So, pretty much 0.5 sec as advertised. I definitely felt the difference in "kick". Seemed much more noticeable after 20+ mph but still noticeable from launch. Definitely worth it to me. I really want the full unlock(and would pay 2k more) to P levels though. That would be awesome."

Reactions: mrau and M109Rider

This is why it's so great to have the 48 hour "trial" of the boost upgrade. My personal experience on my personal car was the opposite of LedHed. I really felt a much much bigger punch off the line when launching 0-60. Night and day different. But I didn't feel much difference punching it from a roll.

With the trial, you can make your own decision. I got a refund because I am not into launching the car 0-60, but more daily driving, and the $2000 upgrade did nothing for my daily driving needs. I have other cars like Lambo's for driving like a hooligan, so your mileage may vary.

I requested a refund Sunday night, and the money was back in my AMEX this morning (basically 2 business days).

That is not my entire post. See below:

"I just bought the boost upgrade and did pre and post Draggy tests to compare. I have a LR AWD w/ 980 motor, 22k miles, stock aero wheels. Conditions: temp 36 deg F outside. Did pre boost runs then drove home, downloaded the update and re-charged to 94% and did the post boost runs. Drove around a bit to warm up the battery(still had about 5-6 dots pre boost runs and 0-1 dots for post boost runs) and warm up the tires before both the pre and post tests. All times are with a 1 ft rollout and a validated slope.

Pre boost update: 4.07 sec/82% SOC, 4.11/88%

So, pretty much 0.5 sec as advertised. I definitely felt the difference in "kick". Seemed much more noticeable after 20+ mph but still noticeable from launch. Definitely worth it to me. I really want the full unlock(and would pay 2k more) to P levels though. That would be awesome."

i didnt mean to include your post. sorry about the confusion ahha

You are the only one as far as I know.

If it's faster, then there will be greater G forces, but whether you feel the difference or not is on you. The car literally has 50 Nm more torque from 0 mph on up to around ~72 then it starts to taper. Comparing my fastest times pre and post boost, it is quicker in 0-10 mph by 0.1s, 0-20 by 0.17s and 0-30 by .25s - these times will translate into higher G forces and that is definitely a faster launch right from the start. I'm going to chalk this up to either you don't really have the boost or something is amiss. Show Vbox or Dragy logs if it's that concerning to you.

Attachments

• 1 - HXvhWVx-JPG.jpg
    1 - HXvhWVx-JPG.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 68
  • boosttimecomparison.png
    boosttimecomparison.png
    556.3 KB · Views: 91