Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New member as of today. This is another troll or short seller stirring the pot.
Your post is one big contradiction, clearly designed to stir the pot. How can you say you proved to yourself it is in fact faster, but also say it’s definitely got less kick and boost than before. ?????
Come on... this isn’t even troll worthy.[/QUO
Yes. It’s kind of been proven to have the same pull as performance past a certain speed, and half a second slower 0-60.
Overall. You can absolutely feel a big difference through the range.
It’s worth it, no question.
The dilemma is if you want to part with the $2,000 for it. :)

So first off, I'm not a troll. I have no intention of short selling and its not my intention to stir the pot. I am/was a first time poster (isn't everyone at some point). I found this forum by doing a google search about acceleration boost (because I'm looking for answers). I asked the question because it does seem like a contradiction. Its faster, I confirmed this by counting frames (rather than instantly throwing shade in forums). However my car absolutely has less punch off the line than it did before the boost (punch = slam you back in your seat and push your guts into your throat). Which I find odd again because the car is faster. I've also read through this post and others are saying that the difference is very noticeable. This disappoints me because I was hoping for a noticeable change and it didn't happen, quite the contrary, its less violent on take off. In the end I'm have no intention of asking for a refund (I have a faster car, and I'm well past the 48 hrs). I was just looking to see if anyone else had similar impressions as I did, or an explanation as to why it feels this way (Not hating on the upgrade or Tesla). Perhaps more power to the front motor alters the take off characteristics. BTW thanks for the warm welcome. ;P

You are the only one as far as I know.

If it's faster, then there will be greater G forces, but whether you feel the difference or not is on you. The car literally has 50 Nm more torque from 0 mph on up to around ~72 then it starts to taper. Comparing my fastest times pre and post boost, it is quicker in 0-10 mph by 0.1s, 0-20 by 0.17s and 0-30 by .25s - these times will translate into higher G forces and that is definitely a faster launch right from the start. I'm going to chalk this up to either you don't really have the boost or something is amiss. Show Vbox or Dragy logs if it's that concerning to you.

this makes no sense.

Exactly! Thats why I asked.

So first off, I'm not a troll. I have no intention of short selling and its not my intention to stir the pot. I am/was a first time poster (isn't everyone at some point). I found this forum by doing a google search about acceleration boost (because I'm looking for answers). I asked the question because it does seem like a contradiction. Its faster, I confirmed this by counting frames (rather than instantly throwing shade in forums). However my car absolutely has less punch off the line than it did before the boost (punch = slam you back in your seat and push your guts into your throat). Which I find odd again because the car is faster. I've also read through this post and others are saying that the difference is very noticeable. This disappoints me because I was hoping for a noticeable change and it didn't happen, quite the contrary, its less violent on take off. In the end I'm have no intention of asking for a refund (I have a faster car, and I'm well past the 48 hrs). I was just looking to see if anyone else had similar impressions as I did, or an explanation as to why it feels this way (Not hating on the upgrade or Tesla). Perhaps more power to the front motor alters the take off characteristics. BTW thanks for the warm welcome. ;P
Welcome to our happy place! This forum is much, much better and more friendly than Tesla’s own forum. Many nasty’s and real trolls there.

my confusion lies in the fact that i’ve seen a lot of people say that they’ve noticed nothing off the line but see more of a benefit omce they’re rolling

They noticed nothing off the line because the acceleration and torque are traction limited. On an old muscle car it would just spin the rear wheels if you loaded up the torque converter or sprayed Nitrous out of the hole when not running drag tires. An AWD EV will limit torque to reduce spin. It's the same on a modern ICE car when you turn up the boost, especially front wheel drive vehicles. A modern ICE car will limit the boost, close the throttle, or retard spark timing based on available traction, especially at lower gears/slower vehicle speeds.

Many old AWD ICE cars will not limit the torque based on traction, and will spin all 4 wheels - think about a drag prepped Mitsubishi Eclipse for example or some other car without electronic throttle.

This is something that people who have modified ICE cars will be familiar with. When you have a lot of low end torque, more than than the available traction (which is limited by tire friction and weather) you either spin tires or you cut the torque.

I think you are right. I noticed that on multiple runs my subsequent runs felt stronger on take off, the tires were warmer and would have more traction. The temperature of the battery pack, in addition to the SOC would have an impact as well. Someone should do a back to back test with stock MXM4 and then stickier tires.

Reactions: arghx7
They noticed nothing off the line because the acceleration and torque are traction limited. On an old muscle car it would just spin the rear wheels if you loaded up the torque converter or sprayed Nitrous out of the hole when not running drag tires. An AWD EV will limit torque to reduce spin. It's the same on a modern ICE car when you turn up the boost, especially front wheel drive vehicles. A modern ICE car will limit the boost, close the throttle, or retard spark timing based on available traction, especially at lower gears/slower vehicle speeds.

Many old AWD ICE cars will not limit the torque based on traction, and will spin all 4 wheels - think about a drag prepped Mitsubishi Eclipse for example or some other car without electronic throttle.

This is something that people who have modified ICE cars will be familiar with. When you have a lot of low end torque, more than than the available traction (which is limited by tire friction and weather) you either spin tires or you cut the torque.

If this were true, wouldn’t the stealth P have slightly worse 0-60 times than the P3D+?

If this were true, wouldn’t the stealth P have slightly worse 0-60 times than the P3D+?

I can't speak to every circumstance without testing. I will say though that you'd expect there to be very little difference in acceleration at low vehicle speeds on a low traction surface between say a Stealth P and a LR AWD or AWD+. If you make 1000 Nm of torque or 500 Nm torque, but the tires and pavement can only handle 300 Nm in that condition, the extra torque that the motors could generate doesn't matter.

Or think about it this way - if it's raining outside is your AWD+ going to launch faster than an AWD? Probably not. The same can apply when the tires or pavement are cold.

There is an old joke from the Mid 2000's - what's the difference between a 1000 horsepower Supra and a 500 horsepower Supra? Nothing, they all run 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Decided to pull the plug and get the Acceleration Boost today. There's an issue trying to buy it through the app so I had to do it on my computer, then my car had it within seconds. So I got out my Dragy and made some runs. Easily got the rated 3.9sec 0-60 time, even got a 3.71sec, and this was with my battery at around 77%. I'm thinking if my battery was 90-100%, it would be even quicker. I'm really pleased with this boost.

Welcome to our happy place! This forum is much, much better and more friendly than Tesla’s own forum. Many nasty’s and real trolls there.

Yes! Have you seen Facebook? SMDH

Bought Acceleration Boost about 2 days after it was offered. Had no idea about the 48 hour refund policy. I was more afraid they would pull it shortly after Christmas (i.e., limited time offer). I must say I am very happy with it. Agreed that off the line, not as fast (or punchy) but upper end definitely fast. I have a Dragy and took it out and was able to run consistent standing 3.7 (rolling 1 ft or 3.9 standing 0-60) with a top of 3.57 (1 ft or 3.80 standing). temps in 30's with 85% SOC on cold tires.

Reactions: jebinc
It's beem almost 4 hours since I purchased the upgrade but I still have not received the update. I've been connected on wifi since but my drive settings still show chill and standard. My app shows I have the upgrade and I received the email invoice. Of course tesla support is closed today.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
It's beem almost 4 hours since I purchased the upgrade but I still have not received the update. I've been connected on wifi since but my drive settings still show chill and standard. My app shows I have the upgrade and I received the email invoice. Of course tesla support is closed today.
Try restarting your MCU. Also try on cell only.

Reactions: MagnusMako and xyxx

I don't think you can download that update in area 51, can you? Try driving over to area 49.......

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone can say that they don't feel the difference with the acceleration boost. I kept reading that under 30mph there wasn't much power but my butt dyno (and dragy) says differently. It pushes me back in the seat during launch and is noticeable throughout the range. Passing power is silly. Although I've never thought the lr awd to be a slouch, this is a step-up for sure

If you're looking for extra power and have the resources, its a no brainer. As others have mentioned, it doesn't effect regular daily driving at all but when you want to, it can get pretty rude

I don't understand how anyone can say that they don't feel the difference with the acceleration boost. I kept reading that under 30mph there wasn't much power but my butt dyno (and dragy) says differently. It pushes me back in the seat during launch and is noticeable throughout the range. Passing power is silly. Although I've never thought the lr awd to be a slouch, this is a step-up for sure

If you're looking for extra power and have the resources, its a no brainer. As others have mentioned, it doesn't effect regular daily driving at all but when you want to, it can get pretty rude

After having it for a weekend and now driving without it for a couple weeks, I agree with you.