Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently work was slow today.

Anyway I threw the above data into a spreadsheet, plus added data for the P (note I did NOT heavily research who has the "best" of everything there, just found what appeared reasonable draggy or dragstrip results of each step, feel free to offer links to better data if it's out there and I can adjust)

Anyway it's got the no-rollout 10 mph breakouts from 0-60, a 0-60 with 1 foot rollout, the 30-50 time, and the 1/8 and 1/4 times and trip speeds for the LR AWD in 2018, after each 5% bump, and after acceleration boost- plus same data for the 2018 P and after each 5% bump.

It won't let me upload an excel file so I took a screen shot

View attachment 530877

Unbelievable. I was just looking for this data for an article I'm writing for work. Of course I found it at the end of my search but it's good to see my memory and personal Dragy results correlate with your sheet.

FWIW here are the power levels at various points according to Wugz on Reddit. Interesting that the Boosted AWD seems to trap higher than all but the most updated P despite having lower power levels than the original P software. CAN bus power figures aside, the track data seems to indicate it's a more powerful car than the original P yet still held back on that 0-60.

AWD
Original: 284kW = 380hp +34hp
Bump 1: 309.4kW = 414hp +33hp
Bump 2: 333.2kW = 447hp +50hp
Boosted:370.9kW = 497hp

P
390kW = 529hp +20hp
409.7kW = 549hp +31hp
432.6kW = 580hp

Come on Tesla! PLEASE let me go full P! Take my money in Q2!!!!!!

I'm so bad at "feeling" the differences. When I first bought I said I didn't feel any or much difference and bought a Draggy to see if I actually had. So today went to the store and was a tad cool and hit a spot and if felt almost slooow. Thought the battery might still be a little cool. Had another chance in a couple of miles and hit it agin. This time felt a little butterflies and seem to pull much better. However when I stopped and looked my 1st run (3.75) was much better than my 2ed run (3.94). Odd how slow the 1st felt to me and the 2ed felt very fast.

IMG_3706.jpeg

IMG_3707.jpeg

I'm so bad at "feeling" the differences. When I first bought I said I didn't feel any or much difference and bought a Draggy to see if I actually had. So today went to the store and was a tad cool and hit a spot and if felt almost slooow. Thought the battery might still be a little cool. Had another chance in a couple of miles and hit it agin. This time felt a little butterflies and seem to pull much better. However when I stopped and looked my 1st run (3.75) was much better than my 2ed run (3.94). Odd how slow the 1st felt to me and the 2ed felt very fast.

Butt dynos are notoriously unreliable :)

Unbelievable. I was just looking for this data for an article I'm writing for work. Of course I found it at the end of my search but it's good to see my memory and personal Dragy results correlate with your sheet.

FWIW here are the power levels at various points according to Wugz on Reddit. Interesting that the Boosted AWD seems to trap higher than all but the most updated P despite having lower power levels than the original P software. CAN bus power figures aside, the track data seems to indicate it's a more powerful car than the original P yet still held back on that 0-60.

AWD
Original: 284kW = 380hp +34hp
Bump 1: 309.4kW = 414hp +33hp
Bump 2: 333.2kW = 447hp +50hp
Boosted:370.9kW = 497hp

P
390kW = 529hp +20hp
409.7kW = 549hp +31hp
432.6kW = 580hp

Thanks, added to my spreadsheet!

LRAWDPOWER.png

Oh and I think the trap vs hp thing- does draggy have a way to show 10 mph splits in the 60-120 range? I don't recall every seeing this but I'd be surprised if the data isn't there?

If one could collect that and add to the chart I've got it'd be super useful in teasing out where they're still gimping the boosted AWD vs the original P and where they aren't for example.

Reactions: phantasms
Oh and I think the trap vs hp thing- does draggy have a way to show 10 mph splits in the 60-120 range? I don't recall every seeing this but I'd be surprised if the data isn't there?

If one could collect that and add to the chart I've got it'd be super useful in teasing out where they're still gimping the boosted AWD vs the original P and where they aren't for example.

I’ve heard Draggy can do specific splits though I’ve never played with it. I also have a VBOX, which can, although believe it or not I trust the Draggy data a little more. I’ll look into it. Maybe I’ll take advantage of the empty highways soon. I did just put on my 19” TSS Summer wheels/tires which are ever so slightly slower as they weight a couple pounds more and are of a slightly larger diameter than my 18” Aeros with Scottozero tires. Still quicker than the stock 19”s I’m sure.

I got my Model 3 LRAWD the 27th of March. I am absolutely loving the car, but I am thirsty for more power. Do you guys think we will Ase more boost upgrades so we can get closer to P?
With the boost that's about as close as you can get, you won't see track mode and bigger brakes with offset tires and a little hit on effecientcy with those low profile tires and 20" rims. I think the 3 AWD is the sweet spot IMHO

I know they wouldn't do it cuz it would alienate the people who paid $2,000 already for the boost upgrade, but if they discount it some during this time I'd buy it right now.

I could buy it at $2,000 but been keeping in the back of my mind since things are shut down they'd MAYBE do some kind of promotion for quick extra $$$.

Reactions: JBT66 and mrau
I know they wouldn't do it cuz it would alienate the people who paid $2,000 already for the boost upgrade, but if they discount it some during this time I'd buy it right now.

I could buy it at $2,000 but been keeping in the back of my mind since things are shut down they'd MAYBE do some kind of promotion for quick extra $$$.

I would not expect any promotions this quarter. At this point they probably see Q2 as a lost cause and are focused on ensuring big profits in Q3.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66
I pulled the trigger today and consider it well worth $2k. 40 bucks per HP is a serious bargain, particularly when you are getting 50 of them.

The car obviously pulls harder, as many of the posts have stated. I was a bit surprised to feel a considerably harder "jerk" upon flooring it from a standstill. Based on the feedback on this thread, I thought it would ease into it. Ahh, no. Its not Performance levels of jerk, but the car is seriously FAST now.

Enjoy, and thanks for all the feedback that convinced me to do this. No Ragrets ya'll!