Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who have driven both:

Does the LR+ with Acceleration Boost do a faster 0-60 than Performance in Chill Mode? My dealer doesn’t have a LR I can test drive so the only real way I could “slow down” the P was by putting it in that mode. I want to see if the 10K difference is worth it but can’t fairly judge without having driven a LR.

Here are the 0-60 times

Performance (chill mode) 7.5 seconds
Dual Motor (standard mode) 4 seconds
Dual Motor w/ Boost (sport mode) 3.5 seconds
Performance (sport mode) 3.0 seconds

Does the LR+ with Acceleration Boost do a faster 0-60 than Performance in Chill Mode? My dealer doesn’t have a LR I can test drive so the only real way I could “slow down” the P was by putting it in that mode. I want to see if the 10K difference is worth it but can’t fairly judge without having driven a LR.

yeah, chill mode is very slow. Chill mode on the performance version is slower than the SR+

They didn't discount it for Q2, arguably the most important quarter ever for them to show a profit- they're not likely to discount it in future quarters either.

I agree. I don't think that they will (or should) offer a sale on the upgrade. At best it would generate a bit of short term revenue at the cost of long term profits.

If they cut the price in half or more, I am sure there would be a lot more takers. But I doubt that it would more than double the number of takers, so revenue would go down. And on top of that, a drastic price cut would really piss off all of the people who paid full price. Just look at all of the people complaining each time Tesla reduces the prices of new cars by 5%: a 50% - 75% price cut overnight would cause mass hysteria.

And if they cut the price a little bit (i.e 10% ) it might cause a short term bump in sales, but I don't think there are many people who think that 2K is too much but think it is worth it for 1.8K. So the sales will mostly be going to people who would have eventually purchased it at the higher price.

If anything I think they will raise the price to be half of the difference between LR and P to match what you get (halfway between the 2 in terms of acceleration).

If Chill mode in my AWD+ is any indication, Chill mode in the Performance will be slower than any other Model 3 in "normal" driving mode.

You can try Acceleration Boost and request a refund for up to 48 hours. I did. And then I re-purchased it a week later. :)

The number of cars that an acceleration boosted AWD would lose to on the street is very small. These cars are so consistent, it doesn’t take a hero brake boost launch to run the advertised numbers. Abusing the car is no longer required to achieve good times.

The fun thing for me lately is surprising motorcycles. 600cc sport bikes, harleys, etc.. (the 1000cc bikes are a bit more of a challenge)

My understanding is would be considerably faster than a Performance in Chill Mode so not a good comparison.

Last edited:
New personal record 0-60(1ft): 3.44s It is also amazing that my best time came with an ambient temp of 91 F and a 4100 DA. No ICE car would be hitting personal records in these conditions.
C7ADB153-2C69-49B8-BAA0-276FD7B00861.jpeg

Last edited:
The number of cars that an acceleration boosted AWD would lose to on the street is very small. These cars are so consistent, it doesn’t take a hero brake boost launch to run the advertised numbers. Abusing the car is no longer required to achieve good times.

The fun thing for me lately is surprising motorcycles. 600cc sport bikes, harleys, etc.. (the 1000cc bikes are a bit more of a challenge)

Even without the acceleration boost you aren't finding much that isn't some top performance trim competing, at least through the first 60 or so MPH. I mean 3.9 0-60 is Hellcat with a manual time... with a perfect launch. it's better than a Mustang GT with the performance pack. Sure there's a lot of cars on that list, but they are all either modded or performance oriented (Not the SS camaro which is right there, but the ZL1 for example).

upload_2020-7-29_11-4-34.png

And with it, getting into the mid 3 second range... yes... very very few.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7