Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered trying AB and vehicle show message: Incompatible vehicle detection- reduce powder or can damage vehicle. Can't even try and drive because it could damage vehicle. What a joke.
That happened to me too. I just put it in drive and went away. No issues. It literally took less than 5 minutes and I had a faster car. That's pretty cool IMO.

Here's my thought on the AB. It was noticeably faster and much more responsive at almost every speed. Throttle tip in/sensitivity was much shorter, just a little bit of the go pedal and it would lurch a good bit harder. The car seemed to beg to go faster. Definitely put a bigger smile on my face. And yet, when I returned it, back to the standard LR, I really wasn't that disappointed. The standard acceleration on the LR is really no slouch. I've had the car for 9 months now, I would have thought I was going to buy the AB right off the bat, yet here I am still debating even after having had it for 48hrs. I want it, just not sure I want it for $2k. That said, it's kind of ridiculous for me to have an internal debate over $2k after buying a $48k car, lol. Part of the draw is having a mid 3 sec car 0-60 for $50ish K, where else can you get that kind of performance? Nowhere that I know of.

The struggle is real. 😉

Last edited:
I have been debating getting it on my new M3LR. I would not hesitate to get it if it did not replace the standard acceleration mode. I am honestly scared the throttle will be far too "jumpy" or "touchy" given I live in a city. It would be fun to experience the push you back in your seat every once in a while, but I really would love an option to just turn it back to standard for everyday driving. I guess I could just get it and test it out and refund if I don't like it at lower speeds. Anyone have experience with this dilemma?

I have been debating getting it on my new M3LR. I would not hesitate to get it if it did not replace the standard acceleration mode. I am honestly scared the throttle will be far too "jumpy" or "touchy" given I live in a city. It would be fun to experience the push you back in your seat every once in a while, but I really would love an option to just turn it back to standard for everyday driving. I guess I could just get it and test it out and refund if I don't like it at lower speeds. Anyone have experience with this dilemma?
No. You can easily control the acceleration.

This! It’s 50 hp across the entire curve. Not just at peak rpm like in an ice vehicle. 50 hp peak increase on an ice vehicle might only be 5-10 hp at 2000 rpm’s.
It’s pretty much all down low… extra power at speed is negligible. Draggy results show this quite clearly. It’s exactly what they say it is, faster 0-60. With a smidge of extra “up top”, but nothing to write home about once you pass 60.

I still contend it’s a bargain for what it includes and I stand by my decision to have purchased it before I ever put my car in drive.

Like others have said, the car has near perfect “throttle” mapping, so it’s as easy to drive normal as it is to boot and scoot.

Whelp….I made it just over a week (took delivery on 09/27/21) and bought the boost a few min ago. I get to try it in about 30 minutes on a 25 minute drive I have coming up.

48 hour refund option is cool if buyers remorse gets the best of you, I suppose.
It won't. I thought I could possibly want to return it before I got mine and I will never go back. I came from driving the car in chill for the first day to get used to everything. Second day I went acceleration boost sport and I regret nothing.

Reactions: OzVic
It won't. I thought I could possibly want to return it before I got mine and I will never go back. I came from driving the car in chill for the first day to get used to everything. Second day I went acceleration boost sport and I regret nothing.
After a few hours and a few short trips…yes, I’ll be keeping it…beyond 48 😉

You get used to throttle control quickly. The smile never leaves your face though. Having used it in situational traffic I can also say that knowing you have that little extra when you need makes a world of difference. I would argue that it makes the car safer.

Reactions: OzVic
I am pretty sure this question is buried somewhere in this thread (137 pages).

If a 2020 or later model 3 AWD and 2021+ model 3 AWD were to purchase Acceleration Boost, will they have the same 0-60 times, exempting any battery degradation/weight/tires/etc. ?

Yup.

The only Model 3 AWD vehicles with significantly different hardware, performance-wise, are the 2018s and some early 2019s- which got the same rear motor as the actual Performance model. These could, unlike newer ones and only if Tesla allowed it, be unlocked to full P performance (indeed, the 3rd party ghost module largely does this). Though with only the official Tesla boost even those cars perform the same as newer ones with boost.