Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option for Model Y available?

Would you buy the acceleration boost upgrade for your LR Model Y?

• Heck yeah! $2000 is fair, compared to $8000.

• Oh no, it's already plenty fast

• Yes, but only if they lowered the price to $1000 or less.

Results are only viewable after voting.

civuck

Sep 8, 2020
Toronto
Any limits on how many times you can buy for 48 hours & cancel?

Also, any speculation on whether acceleration boost could become a monthly subscription item like FSD may?

Seems acceleration boost would help resale.

Tundrok

Sep 1, 2020
Seattle
I just don't get why trimming off .5 seconds is worth an upgrade. It's a novelty that doesn't materially change the driving experience after a handful of uses. I guess people just love spending money

CaliX

Feb 14, 2016
Los Angeles
So I bought it and I just took my Y out for a drive. It's faster than my MX 100D. IMO it feels faster than 4.3. Maybe like 3.8. OMG... it threw me back in my seat. Sadly I am going to request a refund too much power for me especially since I got a $500 speeding ticket in my X which I turned it down to chill.

Sep 10, 2017
Outside
I just don't get why trimming off .5 seconds is worth an upgrade. It's a novelty that doesn't materially change the driving experience after a handful of uses. I guess people just love spending money

Yeah, this is kinda where I am. Back in my VW/Audi days, $2,000.00 could get you some serious power gains. I remember when $395.00 got you a Total Audi Performance chipset and wastegate spring for a Audi 5000 turbo Quattro that got you like 70hp or something like that.

jmatero

Feb 5, 2020
San Jose, CA, USA
So I bought it and I just took my Y out for a drive. It's faster than my MX 100D. IMO it feels faster than 4.3. Maybe like 3.8. OMG... it threw me back in my seat. Sadly I am going to request a refund too much power for me especially since I got a $500 speeding ticket in my X which I turned it down to chill.

I'm sure they're under-reporting the 0-60. Owners with the M3 boost (also supposed to be .5 sec improvement) consistently report closer to .75-1.0 reduction in 0-60. Performance model buyers would NOT be happy after spending $10k for similar 0-60 times.

MikeHolliday

May 9, 2020
Worthington, Ohio
For those of you with experience owning a 3, do you know if the Acceleration Boost is a permanently available upgrade or is limited time?

I take delivery this upcoming week and want to drive it for a little bit (a month or so) before buying it so I can appreciate it or come to the conclusion that 4.8s 0-60 is good enough. If I didn't opt for the FSD I wouldn't even hesitate to buy this right when I take delivery. haha
I can tell you that I took delivery of my Model Y in July. As mentioned in other post. I cannot keep the peddle down very long at all. It literally makes my head spin. I do not need more power... Love my Model Y...

steve841

Jan 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

you can look at it that way. Or, I wanted the perf model. Didn’t want 21s or lowered suspension or $10k more.

this is the perfect trade off. I have more juice, gorgeous 20s and $6k left over. (20s were $2k).

dont need FSD. EAP is not worth $4k for my needs.

Reactions: aspushkin

bgrynn1873

Jul 10, 2020
Wellington FL
I am thinking that there is no way this upgrade doesn't hit the range of the car. The performance model I believe is only 285 miles and big reason I did not get it. So I am thinking you need to consider losing 10-15 miles with this upgrade.

I understand why people would buy it but Range is the biggest thing with me. No way extra power doesn't cost something. Also I have think that running a motor slower is going be better long term for it. I hoping to keep my Modely for 200k miles.

Can see where people think this is a great option and if you do not do road trips then it probably makes sense but I would be pretty upset to lose 5% in range over it.

Pluto1

Jun 26, 2019
Maryland
Any limits on how many times you can buy for 48 hours & cancel?

Also, any speculation on whether acceleration boost could become a monthly subscription item like FSD may?

Seems acceleration boost would help resale.
Just ones.
It says refund for upgrade can only be made once per upgrade.

MikeHolliday

May 9, 2020
Worthington, Ohio
It is my understanding that the Aero Wheels and the lack of a spoiler is where the LR Mode Y and LR Model 3 gain mileage. The Downforce of a spoiler may add to traction at higher speeds, but it does create drag... And therefore a loss in range... It is my understanding that that a stealth Model Y gets the same range as the LR Model Y. Tesla does not submit the Performance Model Y for EPA Mileage, financially it would be an un-necessary cost.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC