Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option for Model Y available?

Would you buy the acceleration boost upgrade for your LR Model Y?

• Heck yeah! $2000 is fair, compared to $8000.

• Oh no, it's already plenty fast

• Yes, but only if they lowered the price to $1000 or less.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking that there is no way this upgrade doesn't hit the range of the car. The performance model I believe is only 285 miles and big reason I did not get it. So I am thinking you need to consider losing 10-15 miles with this upgrade.

I understand why people would buy it but Range is the biggest thing with me. No way extra power doesn't cost something. Also I have think that running a motor slower is going be better long term for it. I hoping to keep my Modely for 200k miles.

Can see where people think this is a great option and if you do not do road trips then it probably makes sense but I would be pretty upset to lose 5% in range over it.
Just like any vehicle, the harder you hit the pedal, the harder the hit to range. Otherwise, if you drive the same, you’ll have the same range.

if you’re that concerned about a few miles of range for whatever reason, this isn’t for you. It’s about fun factor. For the price, it can’t be beat.

you can look at it that way. Or, I wanted the perf model. Didn’t want 21s or lowered suspension or $10k more.

this is the perfect trade off. I have more juice, gorgeous 20s and $6k left over. (20s were $2k).

dont need FSD. EAP is not worth $4k for my needs.

Similar here, would love to have purchased the Performance model but wanted the 19" Gemini wheels, no spoiler, just the acceleration and the price delta was just too much for me. With this I get much of what I wanted from the P for a much lower price.

Discover does quarterly bonuses ... so Paypal is on the list till 9/30. So, I used Paypal Key for a virtual credit card and linked that to the Discover card. Then add the virtual number to your Tesla account.

If you don’t mind, can you please be more specific as to how you create a virtual credit card? I have my Discover Card linked to Paypal; what are th next steps? Thank you, TD

I didn’t purchase PUP because I didn’t want lower suspension and bigger wheels/harsher riding. I was waiting for this upgrade and got it as soon as I heard it is ready.

Just came back from driving with the boost upgrade. The difference is very noticeable. Though I don’t have any measurement device, the biggest difference is in 0-30Mph acceleration. It now pushes the head back even for the driver who expects the acceleration.

It was already fun to drive now it became even more fun :)

Do I need it? Absolutely not! Yet, I love it...

Reactions: AFN1 and lnsh
Just like any vehicle, the harder you hit the pedal, the harder the hit to range. Otherwise, if you drive the same, you’ll have the same range.

if you’re that concerned about a few miles of range for whatever reason, this isn’t for you. It’s about fun factor. For the price, it can’t be beat.

I wonder if there is any test data on the change (if any) on the range of the MY if the driving pattern is exactly the same after the upgrade as before? I would like to quantify this before making the decision to upgrade. If it costs me 25+ miles of range, it may not be worth it?

I wonder if there is any test data on the change (if any) on the range of the MY if the driving pattern is exactly the same after the upgrade as before? I would like to quantify this before making the decision to upgrade. If it costs me 25+ miles of range, it may not be worth it?
As I mentioned in an earlier, It is my understanding that the Aero Wheels and the lack of a spoiler is where the LR Mode Y and LR Model 3 gain mileage. The Downforce of a spoiler may add to traction at higher speeds, but it does create drag... And therefore a loss in range... And as someone else mentioned above, range is generally a factor of how hard you press the peddle... Electric Motor are different than gasoline engines. With a Gas engine, if I want more power it has to pump more air. A gas engine is jump a fancy airpump. The more air you can pump in a given time the more power the engine has at a given moment. When you make these changes the engine becomes less efficent. With this upgrade, it is software, it will only use the additional power if you demand the power by pressing the accelerator. There are no changes to the motor itself. If you want to get the same range you will probably need to be a little easier on the peddle in order to get the same acceleration and therefore the same range.

Last edited:
Reactions: frankvb

just run it in chill mode. You won’t burn off any extra range.
Want more fun, sport mode.

It has zero impact on range if you drive the same. Nothing is mechanically or electrically different except the amount of peak power the motors are set to produce. Zero change in efficiency until you mash the gas pedal.

I am thinking that there is no way this upgrade doesn't hit the range of the car. The performance model I believe is only 285 miles and big reason I did not get it. So I am thinking you need to consider losing 10-15 miles with this upgrade.

I understand why people would buy it but Range is the biggest thing with me. No way extra power doesn't cost something. Also I have think that running a motor slower is going be better long term for it. I hoping to keep my Modely for 200k miles.

Can see where people think this is a great option and if you do not do road trips then it probably makes sense but I would be pretty upset to lose 5% in range over it.
it's mostly the 21in staggered wheels being wider that is affecting the range. The performance stealth model with 19 in listed 315 as the range when it was still available.

• Informative
Reactions: Mansley

If you want max range, just use Chill mode, because Chill mode is Chill mode, no matter what.

• Funny
Reactions: Mansley
Of course it’s that easy
Smh
36.11 can’t wait to check it out!......

..... though...
I used to have a M3. This boost is 4.8-4.3s 0-60
M3 LR AWD was listed as 4.4s
Will i notice other aspects of increased performance? Or will this just make the Y as fast as the 3 instead of a bit slower?
This will make the model Y as fast as the model 3 dual motor.

no other performance factors are included in this update. Although people who did the model 3 boost recorded 0-60 gains greater than the .5 seconds Tesla is claiming. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Y was similar.

Reactions: slmitchell737

so true. Compared to Superchargers/Turbo retrofit for ICE vehicles it is less than1/3 the cost for comparable performance.

Plus your lazy ass can do this upgrade from the couch instead of going to a shop and waiting for the installation.