Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see your point. But I think it’s a different scenario when you are talking about an application that doesn’t run the risk of harming your computer. No one can say for sure, but maybe it’s to cover the cost of extra warranty repairs in case the boost taxes the motors.

I’m not convinced Tesla is taking on any more warranty liability with this upgrade. These motors are rated to last hundreds of thousands of miles. The warranty is four years or 50,000 miles. So even with the modest increase in stress on the motors, it is extremely unlikely that the stress would be enough to cause the motors to fail prior to 50,000 miles of usage.

More realistically, the boost will have a long term effect on the motor. This will eventually create a financial burden on whoever owns the car after it’s been driven hundreds of thousands of miles. If anything, it’s possible the boost will leave a negative perception on future used car buyers who perceive that the motors were over stressed and may prematurely fail.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Tesla gives new features monthly and even across the board performance increases when they find them. The $2000 performance increase is simply moving the car up the performance curve and it must be seen as very low risk for them to do so across the board for AWD models. I’m sure the increase has an educated amount cost to it and they believe any increased amount of warranty claims due to the increased performance is covered. As an AWD owner the price is very fair.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I’m not convinced Tesla is taking on any more warranty liability with this upgrade. These motors are rated to last hundreds of thousands of miles. The warranty is four years or 50,000 miles. So even with the modest increase in stress on the motors, it is extremely unlikely that the stress would be enough to cause the motors to fail prior to 50,000 miles of usage.

More realistically, the boost will have a long term effect on the motor. This will eventually create a financial burden on whoever owns the car after it’s been driven hundreds of thousands of miles. If anything, it’s possible the boost will leave a negative perception on future used car buyers who perceive that the motors were over stressed and may prematurely fail.
Valid point. I guess I see it as it’s no different than other manufacturers charging for SW unlocks. I think it’s a fair price and happy to pay it because I wanted it. But as you eluded to, to each their own.

I.....I’d rather deposit the $2,000 in the market now and watch it grow to pay for a year of my kids college.....
NOW???? It has been a bloodbath and likely will be at best a downward rollercoaster for a while. Like most wish I could go back a couple of weeks and sell everything and ride this out in cash since cash is KING in a recession. Just hope I'm not saying a in few weeks "wish I had sold all on March 9".:eek::eek::eek:

I’m new to Tesla but don’t the motors on a LR AWD have an 8yr/120k mile warranty? It states that the battery and drive unit have that coverage, isn’t the drive unit the motors??

Bug fixes are no different if you are using the logic of “this is what it came with” or this is what you paid for.” I have never had a car that fixed known glitches that didn’t impact safety. And like I’ve stated, there is additional hardware options with the performance. And, as already stated, if margins allowed for a stealth than this is what the $2k should get you. Not halfway there. Fairness? If there are no hardware differences how was it “fair” to sell a stealth?

And calling it a performance upgrade is entirely disingenuous as it is merely lifting a software block. Would you be okay knowing the car could achieve 400 miles of range at the moment you purchased it but Tesla held it back because they could nickel and dime you all the way to 400 miles?

The fact that Tesla - either by regulation or goodwill - gives us bug fixes without additional cost does NOT equate to you thinking you are ENTITLED to features others paid extra for and you didn't (software features are not free). I think the votes on this forum are suggesting you're in the minority on this one, @jfinephilly.

Reactions: TyH2009
320. Alright, if you are willing to part with additional money given those circumstances, have at it. I find this practice to be unethical. If I purchase a product that has X capabilities I expect to get that. I don’t expect to have to continue to provide more money to get the most of something I’ve already purchased. It’s not like I am asking for a free hardware update. This is something the car can natively do.
So what's your take on apps that you d/l for FREE, but you have to pay to "unlock" the full features? Would it make a difference if the app provider was also the "hardware" provider (e.g. Apple, Samsung)? Say a free camera app that you have to pay extra to add Photoshop-like features? It's all what "the hardware can natively do..."

I’m new to Tesla but don’t the motors on a LR AWD have an 8yr/120k mile warranty? It states that the battery and drive unit have that coverage, isn’t the drive unit the motors??

Your correct his is wrong

Model 3 and Model Y Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Reactions: wraithevo
Software locking of full capability is the way technology works in general. Yes, it can be maddening, but that's the way it works. Granted Tesla seems to take it to a new level (e.g., seat heaters installed but disabled on SR+). Just how the modern world works.

Car came with Sirius/XM radio? You need to pay to use it. Car came with OnStar,BlueLink,Carlink, etc... pay up! TiVo without the subscription? Your cable company gives you a DVR, but you pay for the monthly "DVR service". 5 different "levels" of TurboTax software?

I'm unable to go into specifics but I used to work for a company that made product A. It performs its function very quickly and outputs 100 units per minute and costs $200. We also made Product B, which is the exact same unit mechanically, but locked to only output 60 units per minute and costs $140. Also a Product C that costs $100 and outputs 25 units per minute.

No one is being dishonest here. You need to put out products at various price points so that all your customers have something to buy. 75% of the public will buy Product C because 25/minute is "good enough", and Product A costs too much and they don't need that kind of output. Meanwhile, some heavy users absolutely need/want that higher output and will gladly pay more for it.

Software locking of full capability is the way technology works in general. Yes, it can be maddening, but that's the way it works. Granted Tesla seems to take it to a new level (e.g., seat heaters installed but disabled on SR+). Just how the modern world works.
I don't find any meaningful distinction between "software locking/unlocking" and simply just buying/installing software -- perhaps in the number of bits altered after purchase? Its all just changing the state of bits, whether perhaps a few when you unlock, or more when you make some kind of download and/or install. Both allow the CPU to execute and travel down execution paths that were previously not available to it.

I think we can leave this thread now, as he got banned. Not sure why. I hope it wasn't because he was espousing a different point of view and that there was something more egregious.
Insults started flying which the mod removed. I know because i threw some his way and all the posts get put into purgatory :D I think most of the posts were very diplomatic until that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option in the future to get the remaining difference between the Boost vs. full performance. I do however, think it should cost more than if you get the feature up front.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option in the future to get the remaining difference between the Boost vs. full performance. I do however, think it should cost more than if you get the feature up front.

Sure.

But which "up front" do you mean.

At various times going from LR AWD to the P3D- was a difference of as little as $2000 total and as much as $11,000 total.

(it's currently about in the middle of that range)

Sure.

But which "up front" do you mean.

At various times going from LR AWD to the P3D- was a difference of as little as $2000 total and as much as $11,000 total.

(it's currently about in the middle of that range)

Thats a tough question. Maybe the current price is the only fair way. Currently, its about 8 grand so making it a full performance would cost over $6k? Worth it to some but probably not to the vast majority.