Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s why it should be $4k. Everyone with an awd would consider it at that price. Tesla would make a killing.

I think you overestimate how many people care about it. I don’t. Plenty happy with my LR AWD - I’m not going to pay another $4k for a parlor trick ... because, unless you’re driving on a race track, that’s all it is. No practical application of any faster acceleration ...

You can't...then you'd have an arbitrage situation where buying an AWD version and then upgrading software would be cheaper than just getting the Performance outright.

Nope.

Because only cars made before mid 2019 can be fully upgraded.

LR AWD cars before that are HW identical to a P3D-

After that LR AWD cars began coming with a different rear drive unit than the P did.... (exact date this changed seems to vary a bit- there's reported from europe of early 2019, but reports in the US of still getting the old DUs in some cars till about halfway through the year)

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Nope.

After that LR AWD cars began coming with a different rear drive unit than the P did.... (exact date this changed seems to vary a bit- there's reported from europe of early 2019, but reports in the US of still getting the old DUs in some cars till about halfway through the year)
I guess you could take the difference between the Performance and AWD price difference at time of purchase to get fully upgraded for those models. Or current market difference now and only for those limited models.

I would pay 1K (1500 Canadian) for the boost, not because it's not worth 2k, but because I can't justify this much money. Right now it's 2700 CAD with taxes. I bet Tesla would make more money by decreasing the price just because people like me would jump on it.
I suspect Tesla did some modeling on the price. Your suggested price would have required twice as many people to purchase the upgrade for the same revenue. That’s a doubtful scenario.

I think you overestimate how many people care about it. I don’t. Plenty happy with my LR AWD - I’m not going to pay another $4k for a parlor trick ... because, unless you’re driving on a race track, that’s all it is. No practical application of any faster acceleration ...
I just think more people would be willing to pay more to get a legit upgrade. I’d certainly rather pay $4k for P speed than $7k for smart summon and NOA. The acceleration boost is just not enough of a difference.

• Helpful
I would pay 1K (1500 Canadian) for the boost, not because it's not worth 2k, but because I can't justify this much money. Right now it's 2700 CAD with taxes. I bet Tesla would make more money by decreasing the price just because people like me would jump on it.

Let's give them credit for doing the math and making informed assumptions.

Simple example:

Current offering:
10,000 upgrades * $2,000 = $20,000,000

Assume 50% more people buy the upgrade if it's half the price:

15,000 upgrades * $1,000 = $15,000,000

= current offering produces more revenue for Tesla.

• Helpful

I am in the same boat as you. People seem to obsess over 0-60 times, when it reality 30-70 is where you are doing most of your accelerating and passing. All of the Model 3's "accelerate" in that area.

Reactions: MXLRplus
rolling test at those speeds beg the differ. Same with the performance vs LR AWD.
You're wrong.

30-70 at 84% SOC pre-boost
Tesla Run 1.jpg

30-70 at 80% SOC post-boost.
Tesla Run 2.jpg

Clear results that 30-70 with boost is faster than non-boost.

Nope.

Mine is a June 2019 build and I have the 990 motor/DU. Yeah, I missed the 980 DU by about a month. There is still calculated room beyond the .5 sec improvement you can buy now. Just not enough for Tesla to make some $ off of. I was hoping for a price reduction for the .5 boost at the end of last quarter, however, no joy!

ECTO-1

• Informative
Mine is a June 2019 build and I have the 990 motor/DU. Yeah, I missed the 980 DU by about a month. There is still calculated room beyond the .5 sec improvement you can buy now. Just not enough for Tesla to make some $ off of. I was hoping for a price reduction for the .5 boost at the end of last quarter, however, no joy!

ECTO-1

More than a month ... mine is 4/19, and it’s also a -990.

• Helpful