Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option standard for all LR Model Ys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating buying a Performance or LR Model Y. I'm leaning towards the LR and buying the boost.

Is the acceleration boost a standard option for all new LR Model Ys? I've seen articles about how it's not available on 4680 Model Ys. I live in Austin, so I am worried I would get a 4680 Model Y LR with no option to upgrade acceleration. Does anyone know for sure? TIA!

I'm debating buying a Performance or LR Model Y. I'm leaning towards the LR and buying the boost.

Is the acceleration boost a standard option for all new LR Model Ys? I've seen articles about how it's not available on 4680 Model Ys. I live in Austin, so I am worried I would get a 4680 Model Y LR with no option to upgrade acceleration. Does anyone know for sure? TIA!
Unless you care about the range, I think the better deal is to get the performance Model instead of buying LR with Boost. That was what I had and I sold it for a performance model instead. After you add the boost, it's only $2k difference. If you want the 20 in wheels, it's basically same price as Performance. Performance also comes with 21 in rims, better brakes, suspension, spoiler, and pedals. Right now from what I see, only the performance Model is getting the matrix headlamps and not the regular long range. Plus you will get the performance Model much faster. It's a much better deal.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0
Unless you care about the range, I think the better deal is to get the performance Model instead of buying LR with Boost. That was what I had and I sold it for a performance model instead. After you add the boost, it's only $2k difference. If you want the 20 in wheels, it's basically same price as Performance. Performance also comes with 21 in rims, better brakes, suspension, spoiler, and pedals. Right now from what I see, only the performance Model is getting the matrix headlamps and not the regular long range. Plus you will get the performance Model much faster. It's a much better deal.
I think it depends on which tires you want. If you don't want the performance tires, you have to buy the other wheel set and that's a chunk. I'm not even sure the performance brakes fit in the 19" wheels.

I guess I'm just repeating what you said differently.

Reactions: laservet
Upvote 0
I think it depends on which tires you want. If you don't want the performance tires, you have to buy the other wheel set and that's a chunk. I'm not even sure the performance brakes fit in the 19" wheels.

I guess I'm just repeating what you said differently.
Mine came with all season tires, they been putting all seasons on the performance Model.

Pretty sure 19 in rims will fit, seen a lot ppl did that.

Reactions: Ogre
Upvote 0
IMO go for the Performance if you’re planning to get the acceleration boost anyways. It’s only $2000 more than Y LR+AB.

The Performance will retain some of its price premium over LR at resale in the future. AB is going to be a purely sunken cost and you won’t get money back for it unless you sell privately to some who knows what AB is and wants it.

Upvote 0
IMO go for the Performance if you’re planning to get the acceleration boost anyways. It’s only $2000 more than Y LR+AB.

The Performance will retain some of its price premium over LR at resale in the future. AB is going to be a purely sunken cost and you won’t get money back for it unless you sell privately to some who knows what AB is and wants it.
Totally agreed, also I don't even know if insurance will include that in if I total the car.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
OK, thanks. The $2K difference is assuming same wheel size.

I was thinking of doing LR with the 19" wheels + AB. This would be $4k cheaper than Performance...
No. $2k difference is with 19 in. If you get 19in with AB, it's only $2k difference. For extra $2k you Will get a lot of extra with the performance, plus it's faster and a much earlier delivery date.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
At one time one could order a “stealth” performance off menu. It had a different rear motor and different fusing for the battery to allow it to pull more current from the battery like the performance. Other than that it was identical to the LR DM. No spoiler, and had the extra inch ground clearance and more comfortable ride of the LR.

Upvote 0
At one time one could order a “stealth” performance off menu. It had a different rear motor and different fusing for the battery to allow it to pull more current from the battery like the performance. Other than that it was identical to the LR DM. No spoiler, and had the extra inch ground clearance and more comfortable ride of the LR.
I thought the stealth is the same motor as performance, just without all the we extra?

Upvote 0

Ive owned both vehicles and the acceleration boost is definitely the way to go because the long range will add miles and comfort on the suspension where is the performance you’re on low profile tires and a stiff suspension and I’ve raced my acceleration boost head to head with a performance and he only beat me by less than a car length so the difference is really not there. The acceleration boost will consistently do 4.2 seconds. I have time to performance over a dozen times the best day ever got was 3.7 and realistically it was around 3.9- 4.1 seconds because the dead weight of rear wheels.

In terms of looks? Yeah MYP. But nobody cares when you’re jittering down the freeway.

If I’m not mistaken you can no longer find the option for acceleration boost probably because it was too competitive with the performance variant for price delta.

I also recommend going to 255 45/20 on the wheels. It’s a really supple ride and there’s no performance difference. 255/40/20 is still jerky ride.

Upvote 0