Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's lots of great driving where I live and Porsches are very common. Not a Taycan, but this guy was sporting a large big spoiler and I let him by when I got to a safe spot.

MY_porsche.jpg

It was impressive how fast he was taking corners in semi wet conditions. I doubt that I could have kept up and I certainly didn't want to wreck so I backed-off quick.

I'll probably go out for a test drive in one when the pandemic is over. :)

Well I might be an outlier, but I tried AB for a couple of days and went for the refund.

First impression was it was definitely faster. Less pedal movement and I felt like the Road Runner...

Second impression I was driving faster than I wanted or needed to, most of the time. So I decided to put the money to other uses. No regrets so far.

I will say it would have been more appealing to have retained Standard acceleration along with Chill and Sport.

Maybe I'll opt back in at some point, but to be honest, I still enjoy driving the MY long range more and more every day (only 6k miles so far).

When working the current acceleration and dipping deeper into the pedal range, it still feels like the MY flies...and honestly it gives me a pretty similar feeling to when I tried Acceleration Boost. Maybe it takes a split second longer to wind up, but it can still be a freaking slingshot and is plenty responsive for me with an iota of effort.

I'd rather have air suspension (for the option for extra ground clearance in snow) and a heated steering wheel. Definitely feels more planted and road worthy than the MX and love the handling as is.

Can someone please confirm, that the sport acceleration drives like the standard for the most part?

I realize that standard is replaced by sport, but will I notice it in my day to day driving i.e. not trying to get the most out of the acceleration?

Can someone please confirm, that the sport acceleration drives like the standard for the most part?

I realize that standard is replaced by sport, but will I notice it in my day to day driving i.e. not trying to get the most out of the acceleration?
Here's my post from the previous page:
"If you drive normal, there's no negative impact on range. Most of the acceleration boost gains are unlocked in the front motor. Since the car is primarily RWD until you either get aggressive with the accelerator and/or lose traction, you aren't tapping into the extra power. It appears the front motors kick in around 20-30% throttle depending on topography, speed, etc. Under relaxed driving conditions, your throttle will remain under 15-20%."

here's a graph to show how seldom the front motors require energy under normal, efficient driving.
upload_2021-1-20_8-19-16.png

"If you drive normal, there's no negative impact on range. Most of the acceleration boost gains are unlocked in the front motor. Since the car is primarily RWD until you either get aggressive with the accelerator and/or lose traction, you aren't tapping into the extra power. It appears the front motors kick in around 20-30% throttle depending on topography, speed, etc. Under relaxed driving conditions, your throttle will remain under 15-20%."

here's a graph to show how seldom the front motors require energy under normal, efficient driving.
View attachment 629100

I really appreciate your data rich posts. Thanks!

Reactions: pt19713
I really appreciate your data rich posts. Thanks!
You can thank the people on various Facebook Tesla groups that like to tell me I'm wrong and that they heard from someone who heard from someone who talked to a Tesla tech. I end up having to data logs to show them otherwise since typing it out doesn't seem to convince them.

I have a '21 M3P on order so I'm not sure how I'm going to split my times between the various forums and groups.

Reactions: mark95476 and meh_

View attachment 629100

Thanks for this, appreciate the helpful reply.

Reactions: pt19713
Don't leave us!!

You can thank the people on various Facebook Tesla groups that like to tell me I'm wrong and that they heard from someone who heard from someone who talked to a Tesla tech. I end up having to data logs to show them otherwise since typing it out doesn't seem to convince them.

I have a '21 M3P on order so I'm not sure how I'm going to split my times between the various forums and groups.

Don't leave us!!
I think I've done tests on most of the things that have been question marks. Now I have to do the same for the new heat pump Model 3s. They should perform the same but I'll have to confirm. The 3 tests will probably have to wait until next winter since I'll probably get delivery in mid/end March and the colder temps in my region will be, for the most part, gone.

Reactions: mark95476
Well I might be an outlier, but I tried AB for a couple of days and went for the refund.

First impression was it was definitely faster. Less pedal movement and I felt like the Road Runner...

Second impression I was driving faster than I wanted or needed to, most of the time. So I decided to put the money to other uses. No regrets so far.

I will say it would have been more appealing to have retained Standard acceleration along with Chill and Sport.

Maybe I'll opt back in at some point, but to be honest, I still enjoy driving the MY long range more and more every day (only 6k miles so far).

When working the current acceleration and dipping deeper into the pedal range, it still feels like the MY flies...and honestly it gives me a pretty similar feeling to when I tried Acceleration Boost. Maybe it takes a split second longer to wind up, but it can still be a freaking slingshot and is plenty responsive for me with an iota of effort.

I'd rather have air suspension (for the option for extra ground clearance in snow) and a heated steering wheel. Definitely feels more planted and road worthy than the MX and love the handling as is.
Let’s face it. No one needs Acceleration Boost. The car is plenty quick without it. We just WANT IT!

Can people who got it confirm it "feels" the difference? I know it will be faster for sure, but can you "feel" the difference, that's important. Faster is not important since you don't race anyone, but if you feel different then it's worth the money to me. I can make my carpool passengers have a heart attack :)
J/K

So I’ve had my YLR since 11/21. I chose the 19” tires for the smoother ride and better bad weather performance. I drive 2500 Miles per month in New England.
I purchased the AB two weeks later and never was happier with a purchase.
You get the better ride, more acceleration than you’ll ever need and save 8k over the YP.
You can still dust off 98% of cars on the road and never get rid of the big grin on your face

I bought it, played around with for the 48 hour return window, returned it, then bought it again a few days later. There are two times I've felt my MY was too slow: highway speed with a battery below 20%, and after returning AB.

If you try it, odds are that you'll buy it. I expected the main difference to be 0-20, but 20-70 is way faster too