Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did you hit 3.9 with a Dragy? With or without the 1ft rollout. Because that would be really fast for a long range with upgrade.
Here's my 3.93s with the rollout. I'll have to test again to see if the recent update has made it quicker. I'm going to wait until I get 40.3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200928-074821_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-074821_dragy.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Stach
Here's my 3.93s with the rollout. I'll have to test again to see if the recent update has made it quicker. I'm going to wait until I get 40.3.
that's awesome. thanks. looking forward to seing the results. i returned my MYP and am planning on a long range in the near future once i see if they are going to implement some of the M3 improvements in the Y.

Also, do you have 19's or 20's?

Reactions: Stach
that's awesome. thanks. looking forward to seing the results. i returned my MYP and am planning on a long range in the near future once i see if they are going to implement some of the M3 improvements in the Y.

Also, do you have 19's or 20's?
19" Geminis.

Once I get my OBDII linked up with Scan My Tesla, I'll be able to pull the battery temps and get some consistent numbers and to know max power at battery SoC, among other things. Unfortunately I don't have any good areas to safely test quarter mile runs but there are a few spots I can do 0-60 and 1/8.

Today I tried flooring the power pedal to experience acceleration from 25 MPH to about 65 MPH. This is without the boost upgrade. I felt like my head was in a centrifuge and all the blood was being forced to the back of my head. It actually made me somewhat dizzy and nauseous. I wonder if anyone has passed out in doing that in one of the Teslas that accelerate 0 - 60 in less than 2 seconds?

Reactions: RT-3
Today I tried flooring the power pedal to experience acceleration from 25 MPH to about 65 MPH. This is without the boost upgrade. I felt like my head was in a centrifuge and all the blood was being forced to the back of my head. It actually made me somewhat dizzy and nauseous. I wonder if anyone has passed out in doing that in one of the Teslas that accelerate 0 - 60 in less than 2 seconds?
You think that's fast? go test drive a YP... it's crazy. THEN jump in an S with L+ lmao i made my passengers ill..

Other than playing with it, impressing your friends, etc. it seems to me for "normal" driving, its use would be to allow faster passing and lane maneuvering on highways. So if you are traveling at between 50 and 75 MPH and you need to accelerate 25 MPH rapidly to complete a passing maneuver safely:

0 - 60 mph
Normal = 4.8 sec
Acceleration boost upgrade 4.2 or 4.3 seconds.

Assuming the acceleration is linear:

60 mph/4.8 sec = 12.5 mph/sec
60 mph/4.2 sec = 14.2 mph/sec

Targeting an increased speed of 25mph:

Normal = 25/12.5 = 2.0 seconds

Accel Boost = 25/14.2 = 1.76 seconds

So you could reach the targeted speed 0.24 seconds faster with acceleration boost.

You could complete the maneuver without the acceleration boost in the same time by targeting a slightly higher speed.

Now I have been driving a 2010 Prius for the past 10 years so the acceleration of the "Normal" LR Y left me with an insufficient supply of expletives when I tested the Model Y's passing performance driving it back from the dealership.

So, my question is, in "real-world" driving, does acceleration boost matter?

Having bought the upgrade and driving it around for the past week, I can say that no, in "real world" driving, acceleration boost does not matter. There is nothing more practical about going 4.2s 0-60 in a cross-over vehicle lmao. I see this as more of a fun upgrade for sure. That being said, I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase. I can still drive this car "normally" for daily driving, but now I get the added freedom of blowing by Macan's and Cayenne's whenever I want.

Nice! Which Ducatis?

I have a 2013 Hypermotard SP and a ‘13 Aprilia RSV4 Factory (my track bike).

Have owned a 749, 1098, and Multistrada.
Sorry for the slow response... nice color for the MY btw (have the same). LOL

I have the superbike models... A 1198 - spent way too much with race add-ons (full exhaust, Microtec ECU, Ohlins suspension, etc.) and took the plunge and bought the 2020 V4 back in March. Love both. Different vibes, but exhilarating for sure. Added the Akra system on the V4 last month and it definitely make it even wilder. Also have a Kawasaki ZX-6 (planning to sell it this month though and perhaps pick up the Aprilia like yours in '17 or newer guise or the Hypermotard).
Nice! Which Ducatis?

I have a 2013 Hypermotard SP and a ‘13 Aprilia RSV4 Factory (my track bike).

Have owned a 749, 1098, and Multistrada.
Apologize for the slow response... BTW, nice color choice (also have the MY in blue). LOL

Too funny that two of the bikes that you have, I'm looking at possibly buying... your Aprilia RSV4 is an amazing bike and I've always liked the hooligan nature of the Hypermotard!

As my my Ducatis, I have an 1198 with a bunch of race add-ons - Microtec ECU, full race exhaust, aftermarket Ohlins, triple tree and rear height suspension parts to make it turn quicker (still not quite as easy as your Aprilia though). It's a beast, but can wear you out around the track. This past March I picked up the new 2020 V4 and added the Arka system... now even wilder. Different vibes, but love both. I have a ZX6 that I'll be selling before pulling the trigger for the Aprilia or the Hypermotard.

I enjoy it when everyone ahead of me goes through and I get held up by a red light. :D

Having bought the upgrade and driving it around for the past week, I can say that no, in "real world" driving, acceleration boost does not matter. There is nothing more practical about going 4.2s 0-60 in a cross-over vehicle lmao. I see this as more of a fun upgrade for sure. That being said, I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase. I can still drive this car "normally" for daily driving, but now I get the added freedom of blowing by Macan's and Cayenne's whenever I want.

I am still waiting for my MY to be deliver, thus, reading a lots on this forum to learn more about the car.

i didn’t know about this performance boost package until i saw this thread. This option wasn’t available on the order page.

i know many of you are very happy with this package, but am i the only one who feel cheated by tesla??

i feel that i paid for a product, and tesla hold out it’s max. performance with software, then turn around and ask me $2k more if i want to unlock its max performance. Just like iphone IOS slow down your phone to make you pay for a new phone....

And it seems this scheme is working for tesla, so they will continue to release new car with lockout potential, for there will always be performance package for you to pay and download.

i just feel that we should have gotten the performance boost by default. there is a performance model already that’s even faster.

I am still waiting for my MY to be deliver, thus, reading a lots on this forum to learn more about the car.

i didn’t know about this performance boost package until i saw this thread. This option wasn’t available on the order page.

i know many of you are very happy with this package, but am i the only one who feel cheated by tesla??

i feel that i paid for a product, and tesla hold out it’s max. performance with software, then turn around and ask me $2k more if i want to unlock its max performance. Just like iphone IOS slow down your phone to make you pay for a new phone....

And it seems this scheme is working for tesla, so they will continue to release new car with lockout potential, for there will always be performance package for you to pay and download.

i just feel that we should have gotten the performance boost by default. there is a performance model already that’s even faster.

Why is this different than any other option a car manufacturer provides? Not everyone wants, or wants to pay the difference, for something like this... so why would they provide it out the gate? And for free? There is, as you say, a Performance version right out of the gate for those that need to have it. Yes, this is absolutely a money making ploy for Tesla. But so is everything else they produce and every other manufacturer produces. You shouldn't feel cheated, but that is your own choice...

Odds are you'll get free Supercharging for a year. That wasn't offered until this last push for EOY production, so take that as a consolation. I think it is great and I am happy people are getting some benes, but I won't be crying about it.

SS

Since taking delivery of my Model Y back in June my Tesla has continuously become smarter, safer, more convenient, more efficient and optionally faster. All of this was made possible through over the air software updates. Tesla vehicles get better while other vehicles stay the same.

You don't even have the car and you found something to bitch about:). You're going to get what you ordered and paid for. You may or may not wish to add the performance boost after you take delivery - car performs pretty well without it.

Reactions: iustin

I’m sorry you misunderstand! Tesla doesn’t slow the car down unless you pay for this boost. They deliver exactly what is described on the web site.

I’m sorry you misunderstand! Tesla doesn’t slow the car down unless you pay for this boost. They deliver exactly what is described on the web site.
Yes, in a way, but from a consumer point of view only. But internally, Tesla purposely "cheats", purposely "slow the car down", or you can call "business model". Tesla decided not to go 4.2 secs when they first release MY even though they could, they decided to control with software and released 4.8 secs instead. In a way, from Tesla's point of view, they "slow the car down". I think Tesla purposely blocked 4.2 and released 4.8 secs, they could release 4.2 secs if they wanted too. Can't blame them, they are in business to make money. Like any other businesses, they want to maximize to get our money. It's up to us if we are willing to pay for it. In this case, we are willing to pay for it, unfortunately :)

I am not complaining here, if I decide to buy whatever I see on the web page, which is 4.8 secs, then I am happy to live with 4.8. I just worry if we keep falling into this Tesla's behavior, we encourage Tesla just keep releasing "half-bake" EV, then charge more if you want the other half.
Again, no complaint here, if I decide "half-bake" is good enough, then it's my choice to pay for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: laughMan
Yes, in a way, but from a consumer point of view only. But internally, Tesla purposely "cheats", purposely "slow the car down", or you can call "business model". Tesla decided not to go 4.2 secs when they first release MY even though they could, they decided to control with software and released 4.8 secs instead. In a way, from Tesla's point of view, they "slow the car down". I think Tesla purposely blocked 4.2 and released 4.8 secs, they could release 4.2 secs if they wanted too. Can't blame them, they are in business to make money. Like any other businesses, they want to maximize to get our money. It's up to us if we are willing to pay for it. In this case, we are willing to pay for it, unfortunately :)

I am not complaining here, if I decide to buy whatever I see on the web page, which is 4.8 secs, then I am happy to live with 4.8. I just worry if we keep falling into this Tesla's behavior, we encourage Tesla just keep releasing "half-bake" EV, then charge more if you want the other half.
Again, no complaint here, if I decide "half-bake" is good enough, then it's my choice to pay for it.

that’s exactly how i feel. very well said!
there is a marketing/pricing scheme in their planning stage to hold out goodies from their customer, knowing that we will pay $extra$ for it.

Reactions: 2101Guy