Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are videos on YouTube for people that have dynoed the car, along with Scan My Tesla app. My image posted above is from SMT app. It shows exactly how much energy each motor made. 162 kW front, 217 kW rear. Converted to hp, that's 509
Here is one; Dragtimes compared the Performance Model 3 with the Performance Model Y using Scan My Tesla.

Performance Model Y: 195 hp (front), 263 hp (rear) for a total of 458 hp. (This is very close to the Motortrend 456 hp number for the MYP.) This shows a need for more data.

Last edited:
Here is one; Dragtimes compared the Performance Model 3 with the Performance Model Y using Scan My Tesla.

Performance Model Y: 195 hp (front), 263 hp (rear) for a total of 458 hp. (This is very close to the Motortrend 456 hp number for the MYP.) This shows a need for more data.

At the 8:04 mark it shows different numbers than what you're referring to?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-135130_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201220-135130_Chrome.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 469
Earlier in the video he displays F/R numbers but these are in kW, not hp.

Yeah, 463 total kW works out to 621 hp, well above the Tesla numbers. Both the LR and Y are understated by Tesla. Your first post lists them as hp but those are the numbers in kW, not converted to hp. I still stand by my original number of 509 hp/401 lb-ft of torque on the LR AWD Y with the AB.

Reactions: mark95476
My wife, who has been driving my Stealth 3 a lot during this pandemic, was really unimpressed with the Y AWD's acceleration. She is now demanding that we purchase AB when we pick up her Y next week. I should start monitoring her driving behavior....

Same. My wife thinks the Performance Y is dramatically slower and meh vs our stealth 3... there is def a difference in the power curves that make the feel extremely different. There is a video of the dynos between 3 and y, with the y having a very steep curve compared to the 3, meaning when you drive them back to back, all things equal, the y feels slow on the low end of the power curve. Even when you adjust for the weight and half second difference in 0 to 60, the feeling of lack of performance on the low end is real. Hope they change it down the line for a bit more of a sportier feel.

So then using 1.33 * kW to get hp
2020 Performance Model Y: 456 kW / 606 hp and 497 ft. lbs (Motortrend)
2020 Long Range Model Y with AB: 424 kW / 564 hp (+ 40 kW / 54 hp, 10.5% hp over stock), torque not specified. (Source: unknown)
2020 Long Range Model Y: 384 kW / 510 hp and 376 ft. lbs (Car & Driver)

This has been discussed a lot... They would then encroach on P sales out of the gate, and make even less money in the end. The P is maxed out now, and probably won't/can't get any bump in performance without jeopardizing components. They can't take the P down any further without consequences that outweigh benefits. The vast majority, I believe, LR owners already believe the LR is plenty fast enough (just as you have said) and don't want any more initial speed/wouldn't want to pay any more for it coming that way stock. Which is what Tesla would have to do (charge more) in order to offset the loss in P sales to compensate. The offer of AB on the LR Y is a good middle ground and already has people questioning a P if it costs 10k more. For me, 2k is a steal for what it does.

A company that sabotages itself doesn't stay around very long... I realize everyone wants something for nothing and their pony to boot. But that is unrealistic and bad business. Until it isn't. In the case of Tesla, they often roll out incentives (price drops, free SC, etc.), so maybe wait around for it to happen with AB (doubtful), and while you do I will wave at you in the rear view mirror when my wife blows past you... :cool:

SS

2k is definitely a steal and mad bang fir your buck. I think they will make the LR even quicker down the line with an update. Elon musk said the P will have track mode tho so I think they will tinker with it some more as well. Tesla always holds back and no one knows for sure if anything is maxed out yet. Heck, they can even come out with Ludacris mode and make you accept a disclaimer in case of excess wear and tear lol

Reactions: Johnstac and RT-3
I’m likely going to purchase the acceleration boost soon. I have a question regarding range. I suspect this should no do anything negatively to range, provided one doesn’t drive any differently. Correct? I want to make sure as I want to continue to maximize range on road trips with chill mode, etc. I appreciate any information or confirmation of this from anyone who knows. Thanks!

I’m likely going to purchase the acceleration boost soon. I have a question regarding range. I suspect this should no do anything negatively to range, provided one doesn’t drive any differently. Correct? I want to make sure as I want to continue to maximize range on road trips with chill mode, etc. I appreciate any information or confirmation of this from anyone who knows. Thanks!
Correct. If you drive normal, there's no negative impact on range. Most of the gains are unlocked in the front motor. Since the car is primarily RWD until you either get aggressive with the accelerator and/or lose traction, you aren't tapping into the extra power. It appears the front motors kick in around 20-30% throttle depending on topography, speed, etc. Under relaxed driving conditions, your throttle will remain under 15-20%.

I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be helpful here as well...

I bought my car in May and the AB in October. My lifetime Wh/mi is 243 and my Wh/mi for this fall, surprisingly, is also 243. The AB makes zero impact on range unless you choose to accelerate harder.

It is also noteworthy that the heat pump heating in the fall (many days in the 30s and 40s) doesn't seem to take any more power than the AC in the summer (humid 80s and 90s). Looking at consumption on the colder days, it is clear that it'll take at least 10% more energy on freezing days this winter though. It is also clear that I use more power preheating, but this energy usage doesn't show up in the car's Wh/mi calculation. I'll clear my fall odometer now that winter is starting to see how much it drops.

Saturday can't come soon enough. I'm getting the acceleration boost before I leave the lot.

I suggest you drive it for a week or two so you can appreciate AB. If this is your first Tesla it will feel crazy fast when stock. I was quite shocked my first 10-70 run after AB. Driving stock for a little while will let you get that giddy feeling about how crazy fast the car is twice for one car.

I pulled up behind a Taycan at some lights a few weeks back. I think he was surprised when I was right behind him. :D

The Y is a super fun car and acceleration boost (though I sometime refer to it as NOS) makes it so much better.

I suggest you drive it for a week or two so you can appreciate AB. If this is your first Tesla it will feel crazy fast when stock. I was quite shocked my first 10-70 run after AB. Driving stock for a little while will let you get that giddy feeling about how crazy fast the car is twice for one car.