Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the boost; in the time that it took to walk to the garage it was already there, and I hadn't even connected my MY7 to WiFi yet.

It's pouring down rain right now, so impressions on the additional power will have to wait.

Nah man, you didn't 'try it out' you lied about how hard it was to get your money back.

Terrible advice, don't go lying to your spouse. 🤣🤣🤣
Lol, you both are really funny! @Velcade I appreciate the devils advocate. But don’t worry, I’m not going to lie to her. I’ll just wait for her to buy something stupid that she doesn’t need with one of my credit cards and then pull the “you didn’t need that new handbag..” Then I’ll have her dead to rights!!! 🤣. I just have to wait for the right move is all.

This same dynamic is how I got away with buying my last graphics card.

Nah man, you didn't 'try it out' you lied about how hard it was to get your money back.

Terrible advice, don't go lying to your spouse. 🤣🤣🤣
Lol, you both are really @Velcade I appreciate the devils advocate. But don’t worry, I’m not going to lie to her. I’ll just wait for her to buy something stupid that she doesn’t need with one of my credit cards and then pull the “you didn’t need that new handbag..” Then I’ll have her dead to rights!!! 🤣. I just have to wait for the right move is all.
4.1? I was expecting it to be the same speed as a dual motor 3. My butt dyno was telling me it felt quicker. Glad to hear it is a bit quicker after all.
lol, “butt dyno” 😆. My old auto shop teacher used to say that.

I'm pretty happy with my times
p4OLsqF.png

tUtEDpT.png

0 to 60 times
4.14 w/o 1-foot rollout
3.94 with

I took my son out after getting the upgrade; I didn't tell him about it and he noticed, unprompted, that the car was accelerating faster than the last time he was in it. It's a lot of fun--if you wanted a performance model but needed 7 seats, getting the acceleration boost upgrade is a no-brainer. I'm happy I got it and would do it again.

While I appreciate many of you doing these Draggy runs at high 95%+ SoC, to get the fastest recordings, there's some usefulness in doing testing at lower State of Charge %.

I don't have home charging, so my car gets used at 20-60% most of the time, until I get a chance to supercharge back up to 80%. Even then, it only stays at high SoC % for a day or so due to high energy usage (Sentry Mode). Since I primarily use my car at low-mid SoC, I notice that Acceleration Boost has little or no effect at these SoC, based on my subjective feeling. The car doesn't seem to be accelerating any faster than a stock Model Y AWD. I do notice quite a difference at high SoC, say at 80%+. In contract, I'm reading here other folks say there's a noticeable difference across the entire SoC range based on their subjective feeling.

Is anyone willing to do a draggy run at a lower SoC, say at 40-50% and post the results? I'm curious if I wasted the $2k for Acc Boost and I can't even enjoy it. If it's only noticeable at, say 80%+ SoC, then it may not be worth it for folks like me who almost never see that high of SoC on a regular basis. It might be a good data point for others on the fence as well.

Why don't you run these tests at a low SoC and post your results?

I'm generally between 50-70% SoC and I can still feel AB.

I recall Bjorn performing acceleration tests at various SoC. I'm sure others have done the same.

While I appreciate many of you doing these Draggy runs at high 95%+ SoC, to get the fastest recordings, there's some usefulness in doing testing at lower State of Charge %.

I don't have home charging, so my car gets used at 20-60% most of the time, until I get a chance to supercharge back up to 80%. Even then, it only stays at high SoC % for a day or so due to high energy usage (Sentry Mode). Since I primarily use my car at low-mid SoC, I notice that Acceleration Boost has little or no effect at these SoC, based on my subjective feeling. The car doesn't seem to be accelerating any faster than a stock Model Y AWD. I do notice quite a difference at high SoC, say at 80%+. In contract, I'm reading here other folks say there's a noticeable difference across the entire SoC range based on their subjective feeling.

Is anyone willing to do a draggy run at a lower SoC, say at 40-50% and post the results? I'm curious if I wasted the $2k for Acc Boost and I can't even enjoy it. If it's only noticeable at, say 80%+ SoC, then it may not be worth it for folks like me who almost never see that high of SoC on a regular basis. It might be a good data point for others on the fence as well.

Id py $2000 to make my MYP under 3 seconds 0-60mph!!!!
I got used to the power and i want more!!!!

When I got my non-Performance MY, I told myself, 'wow, this is all the power that I will need'. Now, I, too, have gotten used to it and crave more. I do not need more by any means. But it is intoxicating and I want more and need to convince myself and the Mrs to press the fun button and order it.

Would appreciate if someone can please explain ( or point me to a source ), from a technical perspective how is AB is achieved?
Theoretically it's fairly simple, just changing the software so a higher amount of power can flow from the battery to the motors. Tricky bit is to regulate it in such a way that you don't damage or prematurely wear out any of the components in the system.

Would appreciate if someone can please explain ( or point me to a source ), from a technical perspective how is AB is achieved?
The AB increases the power output of the front motor (induction type motor.) I have read that based on dynamometer testing the combined power of the front and rear drive units after the AB increased by approximately 11%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DaddysCar

I use scanmytesla for performance tests, which some say gives the same answers as draggy. I can hit ~4.1 seconds 0-60 above 50% or so. I ran a 4.51 at 28% charge. So, even at a 28% charge, it'll beat a non-boosted MY at 100% charge. These numbers are without rollout, so subtract 0.2 seconds to compare with other cars (including the MYP).
Screenshot_20210303-075901.jpg
Screenshot_20210224-141539.jpg

Last edited: