Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the price difference between MY LR and MYP was $10k - $2k Boost was no brainer.
Now I would get MYP. You get a lot for $4k difference.
And I do not think Acceleration Boost will get faster, then there is no point to get MYP.
The difference in acceleration already is not that huge for average Joe.
For true fans MYP will always be much much faster :) then MY LR with AB.
Some of us need the 7 seats so MYP wasn't an option. I'd have gladly paid the extra ~$5k over MYLR if I could've.

Maybe with tax credit only for 7 seaters Tesla will now make a 7 seat MYP.

Reactions: Tha_Ape and zpaul
Having owned both the LR and P it's not...at least to me, as simple of a decision.

The MYP is a different vehicle. The suspension is lower and a lot more road imperfections and harshness are transmitted to the cabin. Even with 19s while better it's still not like the LR.

MYP handles much better than LR and the brakes on the P are much much better than LR. Panic stops in my LR were sometimes scary. The brakes were inadequate for the weight and performance of the vehicle with spirited driving.

The LR is more comfortable and sits a little more than half inch higher. If you want raw performance get the P but the LR with a 4.2 0-60 is already pushing the limits on the rest of the car. Mine didn't have the boost BTW.

Opinions can and will vary but this is my two cents.

The LR is more comfortable and sits a little more than half inch higher. If you want raw performance get the P but the LR with a 4.2 0-60 is already pushing the limits on the rest of the car. Mine didn't have the boost BTW.
Just remember that the 3.5 second figure for the MYP is with rollout, and the 4.2 second figure for the MYLR/Boost is without rollout.

Reactions: Big Earl and Noahmy
Having owned both the LR and P it's not...at least to me, as simple of a decision.

The MYP is a different vehicle. The suspension is lower and a lot more road imperfections and harshness are transmitted to the cabin. Even with 19s while better it's still not like the LR.

MYP handles much better than LR and the brakes on the P are much much better than LR. Panic stops in my LR were sometimes scary. The brakes were inadequate for the weight and performance of the vehicle with spirited driving.

Does your MYP (or the one you drove) have the newer comfort suspension? I think the 2023 MYP with comfort suspension, drove very similar to the 2018 model 3 dual motor that I traded in - specifically regarding road imperfections being transmitted to the cabin and the lack of body roll when cornering at a higher speed.

I live in the upper Midwest, where the roads often have potholes in the winter then get filled during the summer

Since I just got mine, I haven’t been able to safely push the model Y P. It’ll be a few more months….

Do you think Tesla will make the acceleration boost faster for the model y? I would think they would make it right under 4 to compete but not beat the myp to justify the 2k price tag being that the myp is only 4k more. Thoughts?
The MYLR is already at or under 4 seconds with Acceleration Boost.

Here's a dirty little Tesla secret... The LR is closer to the Performance acceleration than Tesla publishes. Their MYLR 0-60 includes rollout (about 0.3 seconds) while their published time for the MYP does not include rollout. So, the MYLR is really a ~4.5 0-60 car, apples-to-apples with the MYP. Then, with Acceleration Boost, the MYLR is at or just under a 4-second 0-60 car. Since the MYLR has a smaller rear drive unit, it probably cannot get a whole lot faster.

They are the same car with minor differences with the rear motor being the key difference. The brakes are great on both with the key difference being the tires. Tires make the single biggest difference braking! The clamping force is a non-issue with the brakes, it's the tires. Then there's the dampers. Obviously the MYP is tuned to handle at .95g vs the LR at .88g, the MYP's summer tires plays a key role in the skidpad. The real distinction here is the motor and power tuning, this cannot be replicated in the LR.

Is it really the dumb IRS? They didn't pass the law, the Democrats did. Why not just have limit as flat 80k? Many of them are funded by UAW so they might be happy to screw Tesla.
Not to detract from the topic of the thread, but one major reason to stagger qualifications is to ensure options at several price levels.

If it was a flat $80k MSRP qualification, every EV model would be priced at $79,999 regardless of features and capabilities.

The 5 seater not qualifying for $80k is good for the consumer. If Tesla wants to stay competitive with deliveries, they'll either need to drop the price of their most popular model, or make a new model(s) that qualities to stay competitive.

A lot more people can afford a $30k crossover than a $79,999 SUV that looks exactly same from the exterior. Tesla just needs to figure out how to make it profitable and mass produce it.

ok i understand the p an lr have the same front brakes but the back brakes on the p are bigger. and confuse are the elec motors are different ? and how much does the range change when adding the boost. guessing on how you drive it ?

There is no such thing as a MYSR from Austin.

You may mean the MYAWD from Austin, which seemingly does have AB, however it's working from a slightly slower platform, and at one point wasn't available - they kinda were not thinking of it when they built that thing.
Tesla sold an Austin Model Y SR for a while using 4680 batteries. It was never in the configurator, but primarily sold to employees and offered to some LR customers.

ok i understand the p an lr have the same front brakes but the back brakes on the p are bigger. and confuse are the elec motors are different ? and how much does the range change when adding the boost. guessing on how you drive it ?
The front brake calipers rotors on the Performance Model Y are made by Brembo; the rear brake calipers rotors were made by Brembo but are now sourced from Mando. The front rotors on the Performance Model Y are slightly larger and thinner than on the Long Range Model Y. (Most of the braking is handled by the front brakes.) The rear brake calipers on the Performance Model Y have an integrated e-brake. Some 18" wheels will not fit the Performance Model Y due to the unusual shape of the rear brakes.

The Performance Model Y delivers more power from the rear drive unit than does the Long Range Model Y. The Performance Model Y has the more powerful 980 rear motor. The Performance Model Y also has different power electronics to handle the additional power. The Long Range Model Y has a 990 rear motor. (Some early Long Range Model Y came with the 980 motor but do not have the power electronics to handle additional power.)

Adding the Acceleration Boost (AB) does not change the range or efficiency of the Long Range Model Y. It is all in how you drive. At a constant speed, whether 65 MPH or 85 MPH the efficiency and range would be the same for a Long Range Model Y with or without the AB. (The AB results in additional power from the front drive unit.) At less than 1/3rd throttle the front drive unit does not provide any power to the front wheels, only the rear drive unit provides power. Since you would only be driving at full throttle for a short time the overall range and efficiency would not measurably change. Drive aggressively and you might get 400 Wh/mi consumption (2.5 miles per kWh) and an estimated range of less than 200 miles. The same Tesla Model Y driven with a light foot on the throttle could yield 250 Wh/mi (4.0 miles per kWh) and an estimated range of over 300 miles. The AB is not going to make much difference in consumption or range.

Last edited:
The front brake rotors on the Performance Model Y are made by Brembo; the rear brake rotors were made by Brembo but are now sourced from Mando. Most of the braking is handled by the front brakes, so they are larger. That is why some wheels will not fit the Performance Model Y.

The Performance Model Y delivers more power from the rear drive unit than does the Long Range Model Y. The Performance Model Y has the more powerful 980 rear motor. The Performance Model Y also has different power electronics to handle the additional power. The Long Range Model Y has a 990 rear motor. (Some early Long Range Model Y came with the 980 motor but do not have the power electronics to handle additional power.)

Adding the Acceleration Boost (AB) does not change the range or efficiency of the Long Range Model Y. It is all in how you drive. At a constant speed, whether 55 or 85 the efficiency and range would be the same for a Long Range Model Y with or without the AB. (The AB results in additional power from the front drive unit.) At less than 1/3rd throttle the front drive unit does not provide any power to the front wheels, only the rear drive unit provides power. Since you would only be driving at full throttle for a short time the overall range and efficiency would not measurably change. Drive aggressively and you might only get 400 Wh/mi consumption (2.5 miles per kWh) and and estimated range of less than 200 miles. The same Tesla Model Y driven with a light foot on the throttle could yield 250 Wh/mi (4.0 miles per kWh) and an estimated range of over 300 miles. The AB is not going to make much difference in consumption or range.
Correction, it's calipers. All Y use Brembo sourced calipers. The rear MYP caliper source was as you put it changed to Mando. There is a slight difference in MYP rotors as well with MYP getting slightly larger but thinner front rotors. These braking differences are tiny. The real difference is the 980 rear motor and the inverter fusing. You can mod or swap a LR to equal a MYP for little cash, but you'll never be able to replicate the rear motor and inverter.

Also, 18" wheels don't fit the MYP because of the rear caliper because of its funky design with the integrated electric ebrake, it's abnormally rotund thus some wheels will not clear the rear. Note, some users will grind down the rear caliper and be done with it or you can buy 18's specifically made to fit said MYP.

Again, there NEVER was a MYSR from Austin. It was the MYAWD which did have 4680 battery and a slightly reduced range. It was NOT a "standard range" Model Y which is an entirely different thing.
Really? Do a Google search on Austin-built Model Y Standard Range. Yes it has AWD, but it IS called Standard Range.