Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost upgrade, no software update needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a bit of a misnomer / placebo effect; the acceleration boost upgrade does give a delightfully dramatic boost off the line, but at higher speeds the benefit drops off pretty quickly.

0-60mph acceleration has been documented to show an approx. 12% speed increase. 18-60mph increase is just over half of that at 7% increase. It drops off pretty dramatically after that. Check out this video w/metrics to learn more.
Same applies to the MYP. All you get is significantly quicker acceleration to 60 mph. Carwow did some interesting testing in the UK and show even the P and LR AWD didn't pull the rear-wheel drive standard range model by much at a roll (70 mph). At 70 mph the LR was pulling the P if I recall correctly.

Tesla gives you exactly what they promised with boost and P, quicker acceleration to 60 and that is about it.

Hey guys, newbie here first post....

If you purchase the Acceleration Boost option for the Model 3 LR does that mean you will be limited to the number of times where you can use the faster Sport mode option? Or do you have an unlimited amount of times you can use it?

Thanks!

I purchased the boost at your range drops, just keep that in mind. Also, having the 19" wheels also drops your range, and since you now have the boost, 19" wheels, and you're driving like a speedracer, expect your range to even fall more dramatically!

Last edited:
Reactions: likkuid
I got the sport boost the day it came out (Jan 2020?) on my 2018 LR AWD. It took no time to update. In fact I had to call Tesla at the time as it gave no notification when it turned on. At the time the forums were full of people questioning if it even activated. It didn’t effect the range and has been a blast ever since.

The "notification" that AB has applied successfully is that in your settings you now have Chill and Sport options for acceleration instead of Chill and Normal.
Range isn't affected directly, it will only be affected if you accelerate like a mad man all the time :)
Just like video games, the software for AB is already in the car. Your purchase just changes a variable value so it gets used. No "download" to do.

Is there something like this for the sr+???

Officially, no.

Unofficially- maybe.

Only if you have an SR+ make with the 980 rear motor though:

$950.

It just tells the car you have a LR RWD instead of an SR RWD, and performance improves accordingly (also gives you all their other little tweaks like the fog lights, rear seat heaters if you otherwise don't have em activated, bat heating, etc)

Reactions: DaPlugg
Officially, no.

Unofficially- maybe.

Only if you have an SR+ make with the 980 rear motor though:

$950.

It just tells the car you have a LR RWD instead of an SR RWD, and performance improves accordingly (also gives you all their other little tweaks like the fog lights, rear seat heaters if you otherwise don't have em activated, bat heating, etc)
Thanks!

I purchased the boost at your range drops, just keep that in mind. Also, having the 19" wheels also drops your range, and since you now have the boost, 19" wheels, and you're driving like a speedracer, expect your range to even fall more dramatically!
I've noticed no reduction in range. The amount of time I'm actually making use of the increased performance (ie at 100% throttle) is probably like 0.01% of my time driving, so no surprise it doesn't make a difference.