Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a little different. With hardware there are damages/losses incurred. With software it’s a matter of flipping a bit. Doesn’t cost Tesla to turn it on and off like it would cost Apple if you returned an iPad or something.
same basis though right? Purchase with an intent to return? Not saying he's wrong for doing so, or is breaking any moral or ethical laws.. just an observation.

This is a far cry from returning consumer goods that can now no longer be sold as new.

This is like a digital download of trial software and uninstalling it after we decide we dont like it.

Trial software doesn't cost anything, hence the "trial" piece. Charging your credit card 2k to try it out is cool. Never said it wasn't. I'll reiterate, purchase with an intent to return. That's all.

I found the buy and return guy.

Stay safe friends, corona is out there. I'm bored since i'm WFH so keep me busy browsing TMC.

This is a far cry from returning consumer goods that can now no longer be sold as new.

This is like a digital download of trial software and uninstalling it after we decide we dont like it.

Except there ARE fees for processing a $2000 credit card payment and those fees potentially don't all get fully refunded to Tesla if they have to process a refund (depends on how and through whom they run their credit card processing)

So I agree it's not the same as returning physical goods- but it's also not the same as "free" software trials where $ doesn't change hands until you've tried it and then made a decision about keeping it or not.

Actually you've missed him by a mile. I don't buy and return anything unless its seriously defective.
I've got an AWD and won't be "trying" this feature until I'm seriously ready to purchase it.

If this becomes a serious problem for Tesla, they could not not actually charge the card until after the "free" return period has passed.

Trial software doesn't cost anything, hence the "trial" piece. Charging your credit card 2k to try it out is cool. Never said it wasn't. I'll reiterate, purchase with an intent to return. That's all.

I found the buy and return guy.

Stay safe friends, corona is out there. I'm bored since i'm WFH so keep me busy browsing TMC.

same basis though right? Purchase with an intent to return? Not saying he's wrong for doing so, or is breaking any moral or ethical laws.. just an observation.
It’s not the same basis. You can go to an apple store and try out their products before you buy. How would one evaluate whether or not this is even worth $2k without trying it first? How do I try it without spending $2k? The intent is to evaluate the product, not to buy and return it.

I would ask why doesn’t Tesla just offer free trials to anyone interested?

Except there ARE fees for processing a $2000 credit card payment and those fees potentially don't all get fully refunded to Tesla if they have to process a refund (depends on how and through whom they run their credit card processing)

Well, you don't know what agreement Tesla has with card processors. If this is a concern of Tesla's, they shouldn't offer the 48hr refund, or they could easily set it up as a free trial and you pay at the end. Considering Elon used to speak of someone buying a car, going on a road trip for a weekend, then returning the entire car, and that's perfectly fine, I don't think there's much room to get on someone who wants to try it but probably not purchase it.