Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: brkaus
tl:dr version-

Is dropping your 0-60 from 3.9 to 3.5 (if measured same as a P), and reducing the speed after which there's effectively no difference between your car and a P from ~75mph to ~50 mph worth $2000 to you?

Maybe another way to look at it is if you want to pay 2k to have the speed of a performance model "before the two 5% power upgrades". 0-60 time is nearly there, and the 1/4 and trap speeds are basically same as the old stats (my reference is really only all the other threads and youtube videos out there. I'm on the fence like you).

Is it worth 2k?

Only you can answer that. It's much cheaper than the time/labor it would take to get a .5s decrease in 0 60 time in a typical ICE car. And real world tests seem to show an even better improvement than advertised when certain conditions are met.

Posted this vid before:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B33syeFwbtU&t=15s

Personally, I think it's worth it, but it's still a lot of money. So I'm holding off in the unlikely chance that there will be price reduction. If your financial situation allows it, go for it. If you end up changing your mind, get a refund.

I would say no. If it was closer to performance speed I would have bought it day one.

...closer?

It's almost exactly the speed of the original P at launch 0-60

And about half the gap between an unboosted AWD and the current dual-5%-bump P 0-60

And basically identical much north of ~50 mph.

If it got a whole lot closer it'd be the same car.

Anyone aware of how long this upgrade will be available? I just noticed they took down the 4k EAP upgrade recently

Regarding the Performance Boost I would except it to not go away. While it only became available not that long ago it’s never gone away so far. That said Tesla makes changes at will so it’s something you want then you should get it.

If you’re reason is EAD if you’re reasoning sure see above things gone and go. But when it come to AutoPilot things go away and come back all the time. It’s likely the most unpredictable part.

My speculation why it came back was they needed extra revenue on the books for the quarter and it was a quick sale to those that didn’t pick it up before. Also the subscription package then promised isn’t ready yet so another offering of partial package before the structure changes.

Again it’s Tesla. Buy before it MAY go away, and MAY not come back, or the price MAY go up ???

My wife absolutely HATES when I launch my LR AWD 3. The question for me is this: Will she hate it even more with the extra half second and is that worth $2,000? :)

My last "car" (the one I traded in) was a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. That thing couldn't get out of its own way, so the Model 3 is like a rocket ship. I think I'll put $2000 into PPF and getting a home charger installed. If the price came down to under $1,000, I'd probably go for it, but $2K is a lot of coin for something you might quickly get used to. Just my thoughts...

My worry is that I would get used to it haha.. and realistically how often do I launch?(just to show people the car) I've noticed cars that might even give me a good run are scared and take off slowly at red lights and avoid passing me on the highway because they know it's a tesla lol. I'm just scared someday it won't be available.. I've thought down the road it sure would be a nice birthday present lol. Home charger is about 90 percent complete, and I am currently looking into doing some ceramic coating and maybe glass treatment.. so money well spent in the short term elsewhere does need to happen first.

• Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
My wife absolutely HATES when I launch my LR AWD 3. The question for me is this: Will she hate it even more with the extra half second and is that worth $2,000? :)

My last "car" (the one I traded in) was a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. That thing couldn't get out of its own way, so the Model 3 is like a rocket ship. I think I'll put $2000 into PPF and getting a home charger installed. If the price came down to under $1,000, I'd probably go for it, but $2K is a lot of coin for something you might quickly get used to. Just my thoughts...

I would say buy it, piss her off even more!