Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one that thinks the MY is fast enough already? The 'standard' MYLR can already smoke 90% of the cars on the road. Heck, I drive in chill mode half the time and I'm still never lacking enough acceleration. To each their own, but personally I could find better uses of $2k than to take my car from insanely fast to ludicrously fast.

I'm kind of with you. I sold my 2006 M Roadster when I bought this Electric crossover SUV. It has the same 0-60 time stock as the M car it replaced. Personally, I don't think the suspension and handling characteristics of the Model Y are really that great for the acceleration in stock form, let alone if you make it even faster.

I do wonder what effect it would have on range, as well. Not just the math, but also the propensity to mash on the pedal just because you can. I find the 'real world' range on my Model Y to be so much lower than advertised, that I shudder to think of what it would be with the boost.

Reactions: sleepydoc
From what I read, if you add AB you have a third option to select. Chill, Standard and then Sport.

The suspension and tyres are good enough to handle AB. It’s not as if you can drive flat out all the time anyway. AB wouldn’t make much difference to the range on a MY as the MYP has more power and doesn’t lose that much based on other forums.

Actually performence gives up quite a bit of range. It's also lowered, which improves its aero and efficiency. It also comes with performence tires, and a much firmer suspension.

A long range with a boost has none of these things. The impact on range might be moe extreme than the Performance

Actually performence gives up quite a bit of range. It's also lowered, which improves its aero and efficiency. It also comes with performence tires, and a much firmer suspension.

A long range with a boost has none of these things. The impact on range might be moe extreme than the Performance
Actually P doesn’t give up much at all. Slap 19” tires and rims and the range improves.

Slap 21” Ubers on the YLR and range starts to edge closer to Perf range.

Reactions: GSP and TomServo
I do wonder what effect it would have on range, as well. Not just the math, but also the propensity to mash on the pedal just because you can. I find the 'real world' range on my Model Y to be so much lower than advertised, that I shudder to think of what it would be with the boost.
I actually keep my car in chill most of the time precisely for that reason. Even the acceleration in chill mode is more than adequate most of the time and it improves my range. I suppose that also means I’m not the person they’re targeting for the acceleration boost!

I actually keep my car in chill most of the time precisely for that reason. Even the acceleration in chill mode is more than adequate most of the time and it improves my range. I suppose that also means I’m not the person they’re targeting for the acceleration boost!
I'm surprised you even entered into this discussion... o_O o_O o_O

AB didn't hurt my range or Wh/mi that I call tell. You rarely use it on long road trips except occasional passing, and sometimes around town, freeway on-ramps and the like. Very noticeable and enjoyable. No regrets. I decided to get it after a year of ownership. Figured why not enjoy it now instead of maybe buying it and selling the car within a year or so. Worth the 48 hr trial to see if it's worthwhile for you. Obviously NOT a necessity!

I ran it for trail period. Didn’t notice any range hit.

The suspension in the Y is quite good compared to most vehicles on the road. Although, it’s probably not as good as the S or M version of cars or super sport cars like Porsche. Compared to non sport oriented cars, the suspension is excellent. The oe tires on the 19” wheels suck though.

I bought AB about 5 month in on my '21 M3LR (took delivery 12/24/20), it is incredible, no regrets... But here are a few things about AB that I didn't see in this thread:
1. The difference between 0-60 of a M3LR and a M3P, is power yes but also HOW it is measured by Tesla. On the Tesla configurator (when I bought mine) the M3P 3.1 sec. rating EXCLUDES a one-foot-rollout, whereas the M3LR does not. I think this tactic is used to slightly exaggerate the difference in performance between the two models. When you add AB and then exclude the one-foot rollout, you will easily hit 3.1 to 60. Check the small print. If you look at youtube there are more than a few head to head races between the two models where the LR at least keeps up and sometimes beats the P.
2. I recently noticed a roughly 35% ($1150 to$1560 yearly) increase in my insurance (I'm in the US). I thought it was odd, so I asked my agent why, since I just bought a MYLR that has a rate which was $1150. He said my M3LR is considered "Performance" and the MYLR is not. My workmate also bought a M3LR and added AB.......his rates also jumped about 35% when he renewed. I think the Ins. industry is being made aware of the AB upgrade and our rates are getting boosted as a result. Another $400 a year for me is not huge, but it was definitely an unpleasant surprise. No, I'm not telling my wife why our rates spiked ;)

TLDR: AB is 100% worth it to me, Tesla uses ratings that exaggerate the difference between the LR and P, AB MAY cause your insurance rate to boost by 35% (YRMV)

I bought AB about 5 month in on my '21 M3LR (took delivery 12/24/20), it is incredible, no regrets... But here are a few things about AB that I didn't see in this thread:
1. The difference between 0-60 of a M3LR and a M3P, is power yes but also HOW it is measured by Tesla. On the Tesla configurator (when I bought mine) the M3P 3.1 sec. rating EXCLUDES a one-foot-rollout, whereas the M3LR does not. I think this tactic is used to slightly exaggerate the difference in performance between the two models. When you add AB and then exclude the one-foot rollout, you will easily hit 3.1 to 60. Check the small print. If you look at youtube there are more than a few head to head races between the two models where the LR at least keeps up and sometimes beats the P.
2. I recently noticed a roughly 35% ($1150 to$1560 yearly) increase in my insurance (I'm in the US). I thought it was odd, so I asked my agent why, since I just bought a MYLR that has a rate which was $1150. He said my M3LR is considered "Performance" and the MYLR is not. My workmate also bought a M3LR and added AB.......his rates also jumped about 35% when he renewed. I think the Ins. industry is being made aware of the AB upgrade and our rates are getting boosted as a result. Another $400 a year for me is not huge, but it was definitely an unpleasant surprise. No, I'm not telling my wife why our rates spiked ;)

TLDR: AB is 100% worth it to me, Tesla uses ratings that exaggerate the difference between the LR and P, AB MAY cause your insurance rate to boost by 35% (YRMV)
What company is your insurance carrier?

Reactions: samori01

My Geico also jumped. But I believe that is due to the fact that when I bought it MYLR was $49k, now it is $66k. So I think that may be the main driver.

My insurance rates didn't change at all after purchasing the AB. Unless you're in a state where they can monitor your actual driving, I can't see how purchasing AB would affect your rates and it's more likely due to the increased value/purchase price of the Model Y now vs. when you bought it.

My insurance rates didn't change at all after purchasing the AB. Unless you're in a state where they can monitor your actual driving, I can't see how purchasing AB would affect your rates and it's more likely due to the increased value/purchase price of the Model Y now vs. when you bought it.
The flip side is that if you get in an accident and total the car, the acceleration boost is not calculated as part of the car's value.

I pay a full year ahead on insurance, so of course it didn't show up until a year after I bought it. Also, I am with Safeco, and had to do 30 days of monitored driving through their ap. But the app was deleted the day after the the monitoring concluded. Again, according to my ins agent, my M3LR is now considered "performance" while my MYLR is not.

If AB is added post purchase, how would an insurance company know?
Not sure, maybe the vin is now flagged as having AB installed, hence the "performance" status on their classification even though it is only a LR? The same thing happened to my work mate so I don't think it is a coincidence. Correlation or causation? But definitely not a coincidence. Perhaps the ins co re-runs the vin every year (since I pay a year at a time), and tesla flagged it with the AB update? I have no idea, but my workmate has a different ins co and has seen a similar jump in rates since he bought AB. Weird huh?

The flip side is that if you get in an accident and total the car, the acceleration boost is not calculated as part of the car's value.
Here in California you can get stated value insurance. If my car gets totaled AAA will give it back as long as I can prove I bought it and was on the vehicle when it was totaled. It’s like ppl film. You have to make sure that they note it on your file.