Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving my 2013 S85 on a three lane highway in the left lane. I wanted to quickly pass a car in the middle lane, so I accelerated quickly. When I did that, I felt a horrible shuddering of the vehicle, and lost the accelerator completely!!!! I was only able to cross 2 lanes of traffic with the forward motion of the vehicle. Luckily I coasted to the shoulder and stopped using the brake. I put the car in Park. It was then that I noticed the transmission letters (P R N D) were red. After applying the brakes and putting the car in park, the letters (P R N D) turned white again. I was then able to use the accelerator and accelerate slowly back into traffic. I thought I did something wrong, like mistake the transmission handle for the turn signal. But that was not the case, as this problem has happened to me two other times with fast acceleration.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? What is going on? Is this the dreaded drive train problem I have read about? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am calling service tomorrow