Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration in Raven Model X slower than advertised.. Any explanation

Lee_B

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2016
Springfield VA
Hi,
I just purchased a new Raven Standard Model X that is suppose to accelerate from 0-60 in 4.6 secs. Its actually accelerating much slower than that. The times I got were 5.5 secs to 60. I didn't see this in any forum but i was wondering if any Raven owners noticed this? This is my 4th Tesla and I am aware of the acceleration differences in the different models and this is very slow in regards to my other vehicles.

saberone

Sep 3, 2019
Netherlands
I do not have my TMX yet. But from what I understand is that the suspension should be set to low or extra low. And then it should do the 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

ajdelange

Dec 10, 2018
Virginia/Quebec
The observed acceleration is slower than Tesla's number is because the conditions are not the same as the ones under which Tesla did their runs in claiming that figure. How that may be I do not know but obviously things like more gross weight than the test conditions, running into head winds, tires not inflated the same, different temperature, track not level etc. would have an effect. As you may have already figured out manufacturers will pick test conditions that give them the best number without being too outrageous (e.g. removing all passenger seats before the test runs) seats before the test runs. The message is that one needs to be sure he is duplicating the test conditions as closely as possible. And, it goes without saying, calibrate the measurement instrument before your test runs.

Suspension setting has been mentioned here. As this effects drag, be sure it is set correctly.

testarossa

Jul 11, 2018
The Heated south
The observed acceleration is slower than Tesla's number is because the conditions are not the same as the ones under which Tesla did their runs in claiming that figure. How that may be I do not know but obviously things like more gross weight than the test conditions, running into head winds, tires not inflated the same, different temperature, track not level etc. would have an effect. As you may have already figured out manufacturers will pick test conditions that give them the best number without being too outrageous (e.g. removing all passenger seats before the test runs) seats before the test runs. The message is that one needs to be sure he is duplicating the test conditions as closely as possible. And, it goes without saying, calibrate the measurement instrument before your test runs.

Suspension setting has been mentioned here. As this effects drag, be sure it is set correctly.
Electric cars should perform consistently day in day out, as they don't rely on environmental conditions like temperatures/altitude which are the biggest factors in ICE performance.

Reactions: dhrivnak

Pale_Rider

Jul 28, 2016
Houston, TX
Another person has a post on this in the driving dynamics sub forum. Basically you have to set your suspension to very low to get and then you get the 4.4 with the 1ft roll out factors in.

Reactions: Lee_B

User01

Jan 20, 2018
Detroit, MI
I’ll give it a go on very low suspension setting and see what happens.

Do you have a Dragy? Please try VERY LOW, LOW, and STANDARD to see where the break point is.

I know you can set a Model X to always stay in Low but is there a way to default the suspension to Very Low? If the Very Low setting is required to avoid reduced power you may have to manually select it every time you want the true performance of the vehicle.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Another person has a post on this in the driving dynamics sub forum. Basically you have to set your suspension to very low to get and then you get the 4.4 with the 1ft roll out factors in.

I wonder if Suspension and Steering need to be in Sport too?

robski

Aug 16, 2016
Bay Area
I understand the reasoning behind all the suspension settings but you shouldn't have to run through a cheat code (up,down,up,down,left,right,A,B) exercise to enable. You should be able to enable from the steering wheel somehow if it must be this way.

shinytop

Nov 27, 2018
Pensacola
If you could enable from the steering wheel too many would be activating lower suspension when they had chosen standard. As is you can select when you want. LR was bought with choice made over ludicrous acceleration. Would not mind the faster available with standard height but much prefer no damage from too much acceleration in Standard.

alphainfinity

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2019
Kalispell
I believe power output is reduced if suspension is STD or higher due to the shudder issues. 4.4 would be with rollout I believe. (motor trend test procedure)[/QU
What was your state of charge? If you charge you 100%, your X should accelerate at the fastest rate possible.

So 99% of us Model X owners do NOT charge to 100% on a daily basis. Most of us are between 70-80% charged per the recommendation from Tesla. The car should perform if the batter is at 100% or 15%.

rayfound

Aug 10, 2019
Southern California
So 99% of us Model X owners do NOT charge to 100% on a daily basis. Most of us are between 70-80% charged per the recommendation from Tesla. The car should perform if the batter is at 100% or 15%.
I think Lithium cells, in general, will output more power at a higher state of charge, simply because for the same amperage, their voltage is slightly higher. Hence, if current limits are held steady, the higher voltage at higher states of charge will allow for more total wattage output.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC