Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration in Raven Model X slower than advertised.. Any explanation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lee_B

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2016
Alexandria VA
Hi,
I just purchased a new Raven Standard Model X that is suppose to accelerate from 0-60 in 4.6 secs. Its actually accelerating much slower than that. The times I got were 5.5 secs to 60. I didn't see this in any forum but i was wondering if any Raven owners noticed this? This is my 4th Tesla and I am aware of the acceleration differences in the different models and this is very slow in regards to my other vehicles.

The observed acceleration is slower than Tesla's number is because the conditions are not the same as the ones under which Tesla did their runs in claiming that figure. How that may be I do not know but obviously things like more gross weight than the test conditions, running into head winds, tires not inflated the same, different temperature, track not level etc. would have an effect. As you may have already figured out manufacturers will pick test conditions that give them the best number without being too outrageous (e.g. removing all passenger seats before the test runs) seats before the test runs. The message is that one needs to be sure he is duplicating the test conditions as closely as possible. And, it goes without saying, calibrate the measurement instrument before your test runs.

Suspension setting has been mentioned here. As this effects drag, be sure it is set correctly.

The observed acceleration is slower than Tesla's number is because the conditions are not the same as the ones under which Tesla did their runs in claiming that figure. How that may be I do not know but obviously things like more gross weight than the test conditions, running into head winds, tires not inflated the same, different temperature, track not level etc. would have an effect. As you may have already figured out manufacturers will pick test conditions that give them the best number without being too outrageous (e.g. removing all passenger seats before the test runs) seats before the test runs. The message is that one needs to be sure he is duplicating the test conditions as closely as possible. And, it goes without saying, calibrate the measurement instrument before your test runs.

Suspension setting has been mentioned here. As this effects drag, be sure it is set correctly.
Electric cars should perform consistently day in day out, as they don't rely on environmental conditions like temperatures/altitude which are the biggest factors in ICE performance.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I’ll give it a go on very low suspension setting and see what happens.

Do you have a Dragy? Please try VERY LOW, LOW, and STANDARD to see where the break point is.

I know you can set a Model X to always stay in Low but is there a way to default the suspension to Very Low? If the Very Low setting is required to avoid reduced power you may have to manually select it every time you want the true performance of the vehicle.

I understand the reasoning behind all the suspension settings but you shouldn't have to run through a cheat code (up,down,up,down,left,right,A,B) exercise to enable. You should be able to enable from the steering wheel somehow if it must be this way.

If you could enable from the steering wheel too many would be activating lower suspension when they had chosen standard. As is you can select when you want. LR was bought with choice made over ludicrous acceleration. Would not mind the faster available with standard height but much prefer no damage from too much acceleration in Standard.

I believe power output is reduced if suspension is STD or higher due to the shudder issues. 4.4 would be with rollout I believe. (motor trend test procedure)[/QU
What was your state of charge? If you charge you 100%, your X should accelerate at the fastest rate possible.

So 99% of us Model X owners do NOT charge to 100% on a daily basis. Most of us are between 70-80% charged per the recommendation from Tesla. The car should perform if the batter is at 100% or 15%.

So 99% of us Model X owners do NOT charge to 100% on a daily basis. Most of us are between 70-80% charged per the recommendation from Tesla. The car should perform if the batter is at 100% or 15%.
I think Lithium cells, in general, will output more power at a higher state of charge, simply because for the same amperage, their voltage is slightly higher. Hence, if current limits are held steady, the higher voltage at higher states of charge will allow for more total wattage output.