Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration in Raven Model X slower than advertised.. Any explanation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of my "P" cars actually set personal bests in the 85-92% SOC range. The 100% 1/4 mile runs admittedly, were never my fastest runs.

Also, running 87 Octane in a performance ICE greatly reduces performance testing results via the knock sensor feedback and encourages a richer AFR and reduced ignition timing.

That's really interesting! What readers should take away from it is that if you want to duplicate the results Tesla got you need to duplicate the test conditions. Of course Tesla doesn't say what the test conditions are. They should. In not doing so they invite the kind of accusations and criticism that have seen on this subject.

Now it has been demonstrated that lowering the suspension improves acceleration and it has been asserted that this is because of stress on the universal joints in the half shafts. We all know that those half shafts have been a perennial problem for years with these cars. I wonder if the conclusion from this video might not be that we ought to drive around with the suspension lowered not so much to get the extra top acceleration but to reduce stress on the half shafts and thus, we hope, allow us to dodge the dreaded shudder problem.

Does this low setting requirement apply to Model S as well?

Hoping so. I just posted a similar observation in the S forum.

We have a Raven S that is in the shop. I received a S 75D loaner and it pulls harder with slingshot acceleration that pins me to the seat. I don't recall our Raven S producing the same g-forces, then again I always have the Raven S in Standard height...but the 75D is also at Standard height and still produces blistering acceleration.

Electric cars should perform consistently day in day out, as they don't rely on environmental conditions like temperatures/altitude which are the biggest factors in ICE performance.

Yes temperature makes a difference in performance. Hence why ludicrous mode heats up the batteries. In the winter when the batteries are colder it will effect performance. Once I am in ludicrous mode and the batteries are heated up the performance is always consistent. At a 85% and above state of charge. On cold batteries my car runs a couple 10ths slower. Unless the vehicle has ludicrous mode the only way to get consistent numbers is to keep the vehicle in a heated garage and then trying the runs. In the winter it takes about 45 minutes to achieve full power. Summer time depending on the O/A temp sometimes 10 minutes and it's time to rock and roll. These are my my results from the last 2 years of track testing electric. Gas vehicles run quicker as the weather gets colder and electric run slower...

Updating the thread with the newest TFL video:

In this video you can notice it's fall..Theres snow on the ground too... LOL. Most of these tests are done in California. The batteries are not always maintained at the same temperature. Sometimes I get into my vehicle and it's at 15c and other times it's at 30c. So it does have a range it operates in. 1/3 down on charge will also effect your time, will need to be at 85% and above.

Last edited:
Hoping so. I just posted a similar observation in the S forum.

We have a Raven S that is in the shop. I received a S 75D loaner and it pulls harder with slingshot acceleration that pins me to the seat. I don't recall our Raven S producing the same g-forces, then again I always have the Raven S in Standard height...but the 75D is also at Standard height and still produces blistering acceleration.

I'm driving a S75D Loaner at the moment and I am seriously impressed how violently it accelerates 0-40 or so.

What is the deal with this Youtube channel? They complain about their Model X (and Model 3) in every video and seem to be setting up the Model X to fail. For example, 4 out of 9 of their Tesla Model X videos (this year) involve the car towing, but they have only done 1 other non-Tesla towing video in the past year.

In a previous video they complain about how it would take them 26 hours (7 hours charging) to drive 1200 miles in their Model X while towing a trailer. They compared this to ICE cars by quoting a Google Maps calculated time of 19 hours which obviously does not account for bathroom breaks, overnight stops, and meals. They also see someone blocking a Supercharger stall and say the car is bricked, but magically the car is gone after they are done charging. See link below so you can judge for yourself. The stuff about mileage starts at 5:30

I don't know if they are anti-Tesla or just trying to come up with clickbait videos. Maybe a combination of both. I don’t know how this channel has 800k subs.

Why the animus towards this guy? I won't speak to the other videos he may have done but in this one he found the cause of the discrepancy and substantiated his findings with real data. Tesla's test procedure requires setting the suspension to low. They should, of course, say that when they put the number in their lit.

Why the animus towards this guy? I won't speak to the other videos he may have done but in this one he found the cause of the discrepancy and substantiated his findings with real data. Tesla's test procedure requires setting the suspension to low. They should, of course, say that when they put the number in their lit.

Based on their videos, they clearly have an agenda. Simply read the Model X manual (see screen shot below) to answer why their car is "slow". The manual clearly states the car needs to be in Low or Very Low. Yes, they do not have a performance car, but one would deduce that the conditions need to be the same for a non-perf car.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 11.19.14 AM.png

It should also be pointed out that these guess have a performance profile. The default was P3. To get peak performance you need to have it set to P1 which is also commonly referred to as uncorking. The software change has to be done by Tesla. you use to be able to query the API and see the setting but they have change it to not show that metric any longer. Here is the video of someone that had this done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG-EIL4EFdE&

What is the deal with this Youtube channel? They complain about their Model X (and Model 3) in every video and seem to be setting up the Model X to fail. For example, 4 out of 9 of their Tesla Model X videos (this year) involve the car towing, but they have only done 1 other non-Tesla towing video in the past year.

In a previous video they complain about how it would take them 26 hours (7 hours charging) to drive 1200 miles in their Model X while towing a trailer. They compared this to ICE cars by quoting a Google Maps calculated time of 19 hours which obviously does not account for bathroom breaks, overnight stops, and meals. They also see someone blocking a Supercharger stall and say the car is bricked, but magically the car is gone after they are done charging. See link below so you can judge for yourself. The stuff about mileage starts at 5:30

I don't know if they are anti-Tesla or just trying to come up with clickbait videos. Maybe a combination of both. I don’t know how this channel has 800k subs.

2 factors: 1) Clicks == money 2) one of their contributors is a Tesla Shorter.

Reactions: VikH