Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Performance of AP1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to buy a CPO S soon (once there's actually inventory added).
Am debating which car to get, as I saw a video on youtube that showed the regular S 85 has a significant delay and is slow to start when compared to P85 or even 85D.

Do I have to push up my budget and get a P85D to get an equivalent performance of say a 100D ?
Which model should I consider if performance is an important feature?

If performance is the most important feature, get the P85D or higher.

But day-to-day, that might end up being not that important to you. If it were my money, I'd drop the P and get as large of a battery as I can for the price and be happy with just a D. I have a 70D and it's still a hoot to drive every day.

Reactions: kavyboy
AP1 cars will for the most part be D or dual motor cars.
So the battery sizes will be the 70, 85 and 90.
The 85 and 90 also had Performace or P options of Insane on the 85 and Ludicrous on the 90.
For a short period of time the P90D was able to be purchased with no Ludicrous mode but those specimens are probably not common. In addition, some P85D owners were able to upgrade their Insane mode to Ludicrous at the Service Center via a special after purchase offer. This upgrade is no longer available.

The P90DL and P85D will both offer you very snappy performance at the expense of range.
My P90DL at 90% charge shows 235 rated miles with 220 real miles of highway range at 74 MPH.
If I were using the go pedal with jack rabbit launches, or going up a mountain range, then the 220 mile range would diminish.

BTW, there are some P85D cars that were built prior to AP1 but they are not commonly found, I have seen one or two at my Service Center as loaners.

Last edited:
This reads a bit like slam poetry..... Was in a hurry.

As a point of reference, I've owned an S85 and 85D. Went from a 2013 WRX to the S85 - and the Tesla felt much quicker than the WRX just because of the instant torque, even though their 0-60 numbers are pretty close - actually I think the WRX was technically quicker. Like 5.2 vs 5.8 sec, but don't quote me. My 85D does feel quicker for sure than the S85 - and is more like 4.4 sec, I believe. Which puts it really close to the older P85s, if memory serves. Another interesting reference point - I have a friend with a 2017 Jaguar F-Type (the $120K version that's 0-60 in ~3.3 sec, I believe). Frankly, we both commented on how my 85D feels quicker than it too. As I say to others - I'd guess that 0-30 it is much quicker. So in most of my daily driving it is.

What's my point? Any Model S will feel pretty sweet! Depending on what you're coming from, I would think you might be quite happy with the performance of an 85D. But if the extra cash and range aren't an issue, I would love to have a P85D. But where I live, the range is more valuable. Happy to give you any other thoughts...

Last edited:
This is super helpful, as I am stepping off a Mustang GT potentially, I wouldn’t want to go with a Tesla that will feel somewhat sluggish. Sounds like any option outside the regular rwd would work then - P85D/P85/85D/90D/P90D

Yes, an uncorked 75D or any of the larger battery non P dual motor models should be at least as good as a Mustang GT and probably faster depending on which specific one you have. Some of the RWD models may be as well. I’d just go to a dealer and test drive to see what you think. Because of the instant torque and linear acceleration most Tesla’s feel faster than their 0-60 times.

My CPO 85D gives 4.2s 0-60. Pretty hard to argue with that. Before Tesla came along numbers like that required a super car. The P’s are even faster, but that 4.2s will feel like a rocket compared to any ICE that doesn’t come with a pit crew :p

Any maybe (please, Santa) one day they will get the uncorking down to 3.8s or some such. Maybe...