Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Reduced message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen this message before:

img_1006.120735

"Acceleration reduced. Performance may be restored on next drive."

I powered down the car and restarted it, but the message is persisting. Any ideas what this is about?

Update on my car repair following the "Acceleration Reduced" warning message

Following my post on December 21st, the earliest service appointment date at the San Francisco service center I could get was January 2nd. When I arrived that day the service advisor advised me that it may two weeks for the repair to be completed. :( The advisor said this was due to the end of year sales rush and fewer technicians being available.

They gave me Uber credits since no loaners were available, but three days later they were able to get me a loaner. On January 7th I was told that the repair work was started. Long story short, I got the car back on January 16th, exactly two weeks later. They did not replace the battery, but replaced these items:
  • High voltage Battery Contactors
  • High voltage pyro fuses
  • Busbar
The battery did need to be dropped from the car for this work, all of which was covered by the 8-year battery/drivetrain warranty.

During the entire repair, the service advisor kept me updated on progress as well as lack of progress. Communication was done via text messages on what appears to be a line which is used commonly for service communication and routed to the active advisor. He did a great job keeping me updated, even when the completion of the repair got delayed a couple times when new problems were found and when the repair tech got sick.

I was expecting to drive the loaner to the service center to pick it up my car, but the advisor said they could have a driver bring my car to me and pick up the loaner. This was very convenient, though the driver arrive at our house in the middle of a downpour. I was told that Tesla no longer does "courtesy washes," so it was nice that mother nature took care of that.

On a side note, after the car was dropped off I needed to head to the store to get some items. I noticed a high pitched hum as I got in the car and during my drive to the store. I got the items, headed home and when I parked the car in my garage the hum was still there. Hmmm. Was there a new problem following the repair?? It was now over an hour since the drop-off, so I was puzzled about the hum, which was coming from the front area just behind the frunk. So I texted the service advisor reporting the issue, but within another half-hour I went down to the garage and discovered that the hum had stopped.

I put two and two together and realized that the hum was the battery coolant pump running -- they had supercharged the car just before delivering it to me. It's been a while since I've take a ride on the supercharger highway, so I wasn't used to that hearing that hum.

Overall, it's disappointing that the car had this failure. While it's nice that the warranty covered it, I would hope that the systems would be robust enough to not require warranty repair. I realize that my 2015 Model 85D was still somewhat early in the manufacturing history of Model S, so perhaps this repair is not that surprising. While the repair took a long time, I was kept apprised of the work, was given a Tesla Model S 75D loaner car, and the car was returned to my house. All of this made the repair experience much better.

Reactions: EV-Tiger
We had a slightly different experience. A few months ago, we started getting intermittent "Car needs service. Vehicle may not restart" warnings that would pop up for 5 seconds then disappear for weeks on end. I ended making the next available SC appointment for some recall work that was slated for 3 weeks out. Just before New Years, the "Car needs service" warning came on and stayed on. The performed a systems check upon the following startup and we got two new messages:

"Acceleration and top speed reduced"
"Regenerative braking system disabled"

I was able to drive the car to our local SC and they expedited me; I suppose they give priority to cars with major issues. They read the systems log and determined the drive unit, HV contactors, and HVAC drain hose needed to be replaced (all parts have been revised and improved since our build date of 11/13). They also replaced the 12V battery while they were at it.

Previously we had a "low coolant warning" message when we first got the car. It makes me wonder how many different warning messages exist within the car's self-diagnostic system.

We had a slightly different experience. A few months ago, we started getting intermittent "Car needs service. Vehicle may not restart" warnings that would pop up for 5 seconds then disappear for weeks on end. I ended making the next available SC appointment for some recall work that was slated for 3 weeks out. Just before New Years, the "Car needs service" warning came on and stayed on. The performed a systems check upon the following startup and we got two new messages:

"Acceleration and top speed reduced"
"Regenerative braking system disabled"

I was able to drive the car to our local SC and they expedited me; I suppose they give priority to cars with major issues. They read the systems log and determined the drive unit, HV contactors, and HVAC drain hose needed to be replaced (all parts have been revised and improved since our build date of 11/13). They also replaced the 12V battery while they were at it.

Previously we had a "low coolant warning" message when we first got the car. It makes me wonder how many different warning messages exist within the car's self-diagnostic system.
Wow same thing happened to me have appointment this week was not really a priority to them though.