Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Reduced.... new problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My 85D has this fault and Tesla are struggling to locate the origin, which is costing a bomb at £200/hour and already replaced charge point harness for no reason at my cost. They now suspect contactors, but say the ones outside the battery so still out of warranty. Does that make sense? If they drop the battery and replace the non-battery contactors and the fault remains I am not sure how much more of the parts bin I can stomach. They said the batttery and drive motors came back with no fault read-outs :-(

Throwing parts at a car is NOT the way to repair it. Ask them to contact engineering for help. IMHO if they replace a part and it doesn't fix the problem they should reinstall the original part and not charge you anything because of their lack of skill.

Are they giving you the removed parts? I don't know about the UK but in the USA if a part is replaced which is not under warranty they are required to give you the old part if you ask for it. It is, after all, your property.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
I had this message on my first S85 at 147,000 miles back in June of 2018. 2 of the 3 contractors were bad and required replacement. It was covered under the battery / motor warranty. I was able to drive the car for several days and was only charging from home on an 80 amp. circuit. My car has dual chargers at the time.

Reactions: Brunel
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My 85D has this fault and Tesla are struggling to locate the origin, which is costing a bomb at £200/hour and already replaced charge point harness for no reason at my cost. They now suspect contactors, but say the ones outside the battery so still out of warranty. Does that make sense? If they drop the battery and replace the non-battery contactors and the fault remains I am not sure how much more of the parts bin I can stomach. They said the batttery and drive motors came back with no fault read-outs :-(
They should have started with contactors since this is the normal contactor error message. Make them test it by swapping contactors with a known working car or spare new ones. If that fixes it, charge for the parts.

Your service center is full of amateurs if they don't know how to try swapping for known good parts to check for a fault.

My 2013 S that just turned 40k miles just got this error. Tesla support was great but they told me that the part that was bad wasn't covered under warranty. The service center hasn't called me yet but I'm not happy. I bought this car instead of an M5 because I didn't want to deal with the pain of a high performance BMW (I've had quite a number of them) but so far I've had 3 major issues with this S. Fortunately the first two were solved remotely.

Nearest service center is 3 hours away. I'm already thinking of changing cars if this is the way it goes. Too bad b/c I really like the car.

Any suggestions are welcomed but I'm just venting a bit.

GT