Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Reduced.... new problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just received a new error message...

Acceleration Reduced
contact Tesla service when convenient

power has been reduced to about 100kW.

Tesla roadside assistance said they had not seen this error message before. They contacted the Service Center in Raleigh NC, and they said it should run for another 100-200 miles before shutting down.

I have an 700 mile drive tomorrow going down the 77 and 95 supercharger corridor. There only suggestion was to drop it off in Charlotte, they'll give me a rental car, then ill have to pay to ship it home to Florida..

neat. There is only one other person on the web that I can find posting this error message, and there in the Netherlands... Very recent post, and no answer...

any better ideas than what roadside assistance offered?

I would question them further. What is wrong with it that will cause it to shut down completely in 100 to 200 miles? What do the logs show? Have they told you how long it will take to fix?

Personally, if you are still under warranty and on a road trip I think they should cover the cost of getting the car back to you. Do you have a relationship with your local service manager that you can call and ask for advice?

Mike

Edited: Added some add'l questions I'd ask them

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
I would question them further. What is wrong with it that will cause it to shut down completely in 100 to 200 miles? What do the logs show? Have they told you how long it will take to fix?

Personally, if you are still under warranty and on a road trip I think they should cover the cost of getting the car back to you. Do you have a relationship with your local service manager that you can call and ask for advice?

Mike

Edited: Added some add'l questions I'd ask them

I asked the roadside assistance person, but she was only relaying messages from the only service center that was open in the area, and they closed while we were talking. I gathered from her information that she thought this was a new error code, probably added in the last update. No other information could be given, and unfortunately I don't have a relationship with my service department, although with how often I've had to visit them lately, I'm sure Ill get one.

So after a ton of research that I did on line, the only thing that I can think of is that they added a Contactor miss fire counter to try and get ahead of a complete shutdown situation. On the drive up almost every supercharge had to do multiple initial start-up, restarts. The amp meter would get to about 10 amps, then restart, then 10 then restart, on and on then finally work. Purely guessing here.

The error code came up after just a random charge on a wall outlet. It was on when I started the car, and hasn't gone off.

• Informative
Reactions: ig_epower
the only thing that I can think of is that they added a Contactor miss fire counter to try and get ahead of a complete shutdown situation. On the drive up almost every supercharge had to do multiple initial start-up, restarts. The amp meter would get to about 10 amps, then restart, then 10 then restart, on and on then finally work. Purely guessing here.
That seems like a pretty I good guess. I would not make a long drive in that car.

just received a new error message...

Acceleration Reduced
contact Tesla service when convenient

power has been reduced to about 100kW.

Tesla roadside assistance said they had not seen this error message before. They contacted the Service Center in Raleigh NC, and they said it should run for another 100-200 miles before shutting down.

I have an 700 mile drive tomorrow going down the 77 and 95 supercharger corridor. There only suggestion was to drop it off in Charlotte, they'll give me a rental car, then ill have to pay to ship it home to Florida..

neat. There is only one other person on the web that I can find posting this error message, and there in the Netherlands... Very recent post, and no answer...

any better ideas than what roadside assistance offered?
when they say "they never seen this message before", it could simply means the technician in that particular service center never seen this before. With Tesla expanding so quick on store and service center, and you have new staff everywhere, it is very possible that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. Meaning that error message might be not new to other more experienced service center. Just my two cents.

the fault came on in the middle of my trip. I believe it was a series of 6 superchargers that kicked the fault limit counter over the max. But after the fault came on I was still able to complete the return trip of 700 miles and 5 superchargers on reduced power mode to successfully make it home. I think they are being a little conservative on there "contactor misfire counter"

I may be wrong, but I suspect this issue may be part of the battery warranty? I can ask when they come pick it up tomorrow. Apparently it is a known issue. Not sure whether it's wear and tear or faulty parts.
this is part of the battery warranty, the contactors are actually inside the battery module. I wasn't realm excited about them removing and opening the battery pack to get to them. This was a repair that used to only be done in California. But not anymore.

Got this message today. 2013 P85. 60k miles. Acceleration reduced Contact Tesla Service when convenient. Convenient for me right now, but they are closed. Need to do a bunch of driving soon, so this is concerning to me.