Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

acceleration SHUDDER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX 2019 RAVEN ( 20,000 miles) in SC last week to address the acceleration shudder. I never experienced any resistance to repairing this problem in anyway and in fact when I expressed concerns over the safety of driving the car in that condition they said WE will get you in the next day which they did they had the parts and so far the noise back/shudder is not reappeared
I found the SC people at the West Palm Beach SC to be most attentive responsive polite and extremely helpful

The car was in SC once b4 For same issue noise typically was NOT present. repair peep suggested not doing the service but it was up to me and I chose to wait. within a few days it came back and I called they seem to be very cognizant of this issue and as I stated before I had no problems getting the repair done in a timely fashion. The repair they felt was to replace some parts related to the axel in the front. hope this is helpful!

Reactions: Dcam
The shudder will return. They will not repair it after warranty.

Get the N2itive upgrade to solve the problem permanently.

Just to be clear, any lowering kit should work. My P85DL hasn't had the shudder return in 55K miles after I lowered it 1" with my 3d printed lowering links. About 30 cents in PETG filament. I just inspected the links and they're still perfect and show freeplay over the link ball joints.

Just to be clear, any lowering kit should work. My P85DL hasn't had the shudder return in 55K miles after I lowered it 1" with my 3d printed lowering links. About 30 cents in PETG filament. I just inspected the links and they're still perfect and show freeplay over the link ball joints.

Yup. Lowering the car with any lowering links fixes the shuddering issue. Adding adjustable toe links allows you to correct the vehicle geometry so you don't chew through tires.

Reactions: sorka and Waverider
Yup. Lowering the car with any lowering links fixes the shuddering issue. Adding adjustable toe links allows you to correct the vehicle geometry so you don't chew through tires.

In my case for the front, the slight toe out which is in the middle of the spec is also about the middle of the adjustment range available so nothing needed other than lowering link. For the rear, the available adjustment is maxed in order to keep it at slightly toe in so still nothing needed for aftermarket toe but it was close.

we all have to make decisions based on our priorities. that. ring said for now shudder is gone after service fix. I am not clear if this had any safety related issues if safety wasn’t an issue I have no problems with having something go askew and having it fixed promptly by a service center
It will come back and out of warranty you are on your own....just beware

Same year September 2019, repaired under warranty no problem anymore. talking to technician the parts they used to replace a little different from original ( shorter ) not exactly sure what it’s meant but promised to eliminate shudder forever

Reactions: Dcam
That’s great news! I have an order for a new X (uh, January 2023…so quite some time to wait) but I’ll gladly lose the $250 if they didn’t permanently fix this. I’m sure the Sandy video will be confirmed by actual owners over the next 9 months.
Besides the shudder and the center console sliding armrests, the car is amazing! Your X will be a better experience, I am almost positive, I’ve bought three new cars so far from Tesla, none have been without issues of some sort, then again I’ve taken deliveries of all sorts of new cars and always find things that aren’t perfect on them. I would take delivery no matter what as the Teslas are in very high demand, they are not like other cars that you can’t unload after driving them off the lot.

Last edited:
we all have to make decisions based on our priorities. that. ring said for now shudder is gone after service fix. I am not clear if this had any safety related issues if safety wasn’t an issue I have no problems with having something go askew and having it fixed promptly by a service center
If it it's the links that Tesla service replaced, did they also do an alignment before returning the car back to you?

Let's rule out differing ride height calibrations. Can everyone measure your height on "very low" ether to top of the fender. Mine's about 30.25 inches. I have an MXP which is totally different than Ravan.

20220409_140820.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MobileClimate
Does anyone know if this problem still is on the New X refresh ?

One person in the x refresh issues thread claims to have the issue. It's the first report I've seen. They don't have the Plaid. It's just the LR.
Yup, Kyle from Out of Spec YouTube reviews just did a review of the new LR MX and the very first thing he did on the test drive was an acceleration test. And, won’t you know, the first thing he mentioned was the half shaft issue.

Seems like Tesla isn’t bothering to correct the faulty design at all. Maybe whenever the Model S and X gets a complete model makeover.

Yup, Kyle from Out of Spec YouTube reviews just did a review of the new LR MX and the very first thing he did on the test drive was an acceleration test. And, won’t you know, the first thing he mentioned was the half shaft issue.

Seems like Tesla isn’t bothering to correct the faulty design at all. Maybe whenever the Model S and X gets a complete model makeover.

It already is a complete makeover. The refresh suspension isn't just all new but radically different. Check out the munroe live tear towns.

So we're up to two refresh but no plaid reports yet?

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I just watched that video. It did not happen on the first acceleration test which he did in launch mode. He claimed it did it on the second test but I heard no sign of it listening with headphones. He then claimed on the remaining acceleration tests that it didn't do it because he was in "very low".

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0